• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador linked with Movistar

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Danish newspaper reports that Contador does not intend to return to Saxo Bank and that he is on his way to Movistar. They highlight some of the reason in bullets (which supposedly are elaborated on in the paper edition which I havent gotten a hold on yet):

-He has not been satisfied with the strenght of Saxo Bank
-He problems with adapting to the teams diet concepts
-He is annoyed with Riis's leadership (to controlling)

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1719032.ece

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/bombe-under-riis-contador-kan-vaere-tabt

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Huh, even without him Movistar has probably the strongest, by average rider level at least, squad, except for RS. I'm sorry for Alejandro a bit. In this case he will be forced to concentrate on the Vuelta...Contador planned the double once though... Valverde will ride the Giro. :)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Huh, even without him Movistar has probably the strongest, by average rider level at least, squad, except for RS. I'm sorry for Alejandro a bit. In this case he will be forced to concentrate on the Vuelta...Contador planned the double once though... Valverde will ride the Giro. :)

I'd say Sky and OPQS. Movistar lacks any cobbled riders and have two mediocore sprinters. Sky has diefntely more in depth in their suqad imo. With Cotnador though they would be quite a force

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
I'd say Sky and OPQS. Movistar lacks any cobbled riders and have two mediocore sprinters. Sky has diefntely more in depth in their suqad imo. With Cotnador though they would be quite a force

Yes, you're right definetely. Movistar just always have many guys, who can climb, as it were. Riis can face with serious tribulations. I don't see anyone, whom he could invite with a view to grand tours.

I'm not exactly too surprised about those rumours. Movistar is quite possible the top Spanish team. Contador is the top Spanish rider (or rider in general some might argue) of course there are going to be rumours about a link.

If it's true I suppose it's certain that the three other Spanish guys will follow as well...

RedheadDane said:
I'm not exactly too surprised about those rumours. Movistar is quite possible the top Spanish team. Contador is the top Spanish rider (or rider in general some might argue) of course there are going to be rumours about a link.

If it's true I suppose it's certain that the three other Spanish guys will follow as well...

and what about his personal Specialized deal?

Gloin22 said:

Even if they wanted to (which I really doubt) it would be against their policy. No way Sky will ever take Contador.

I don't know if he goes well with Valverde, i though he might be going to Euskatel given his good friend Samuel Sanchez is there... It would boost Euskatal a lot and they start thinking about recruiting riders from non Basque origin...

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Lexman said:
I don't know if he goes well with Valverde, i though he might be going to Euskatel given his good friend Samuel Sanchez is there... It would boost Euskatal a lot and they start thinking about recruiting riders from non Basque origin...

There's no way they could afford him.

Cimber said:
Danish newspaper reports that Contador does not intend to return to Saxo Bank and that he is on his way to Movistar. They highlight some of the reason in bullets (which supposedly are elaborated on in the paper edition which I havent gotten a hold on yet):

-He has not been satisfied with the strenght of Saxo Bank
-He problems with adapting to the teams diet concepts
-He is annoyed with Riis's leadership (to controlling)

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1719032.ece

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/bombe-under-riis-contador-kan-vaere-tabt

Contador, even when he is not racing, steals all the headlines.

airstream said:
valverde has said he wants to one day help contador win a tour.

Gloin22 said:

Valverde brings the average up;)

RedheadDane said:
I wouldn't know because, honestly, I don't give a damn about what label bikes the various teams are riding and therefore don't know what bikes Movistar ride.
Besides; I just said I wasn't surprised about the rumours, I didn't say I think it's going to happen.

I'm pretty certain that Movistar/Caisse d'Epargne/iBanesto/Reynolds have been riding Pinarello (and Opera for a year or 2) for a very long time. That would be quite a long term relationship to end. I think something would be worked out between Contador and Specialized so that they could end it amicably, although Specialized would certainly put up a fight to keep him.