• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador offered $12M/year

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
He took the team cars. He stole all the wheels.
He skipped parties, the celebrations, and meals.
He cleaned out the team as quick as a flash.
Why, that Grinch even took their last can of Who hash.

And this points to only one logical conclusion, Contador is a ***....

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Contador is a ***....

if you where a woman i could fall for you.. :D

can i just point out to the americans, that that is humour... just in case you all get the wrong idea.. and NO im not stereotyping all americans.. you are just different to us..

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
if you where a woman i could fall for you.. :D
can i just point out to the americans, that that is humour... just in case you all get the wrong idea.. and NO im not stereotyping all americans.. you are just different to us..

I'm really not getting your humour at all.
How are americans, italians, swedes, japanese different to you?
Not sure if I like your tone.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It seems we are just hurling insults at each other and contador is not getting 8 mill euro a year, for 4 years as reported. Maybe 4 or 5, which is still 30% more than next best. However he wins more races than the average tour rider, well he who should not be named, and is almost a dead certainty it for at least the next tour. I think he's worth it, though I'd think for that he's worth the 8. Would become a whole lot more marketable especially with Americans, big market for any sponsor, if he could improve his english. I realise that this is more than the combined salary of some teams, but then I'm willing to bet you'd get more exposure out of one contador than an entire skil shimano.

A

Anonymous

peloton said:

I like his tone, and if he were a woman, I could fall for him...:D

A

Anonymous

peloton said:

ok this goes back to a forum thread some time ago... i think it was discussing brads (wiggins) sense of humour, and one of the conclusions was that the australians and brits on here share a sense of humour (and find brad tongue in cheek and funny) that some of the american posters find him a little rude and obnoxious...

i was merely recalling that thread and highlighting that my comment was purely british humour and not in any way man love.. not of course that there is anything wrong with man love before im accused of homophobia..
banging-head-on-wall.jpg

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Back on topic.

AC will continue with Astana
http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/15-11-2009/contador-resta-astana-601988021015.shtml

Will ride Specialized and hopes to get Basso on the team in 2011, if not earlier.

Sorry but after all what happened, I don´t believe anything until Mr. Contador says it himself. (and even then i´m not sure, sometimes ;))

Btw, whe didn´t hear LA´s side of the story (sabotating, stealing, ignoring blabla bla)
But that´s because there´s nothing to tell.
If it was a lie , LA would have exploded by now!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Can we assume that the Astana D-day thing is just a formality? Would Alberto really sign unless he was assured that he could ride in all the big tours? Sitting out twice seams silly even for a guy that lets his brother manage him

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Can we assume that the Astana D-day thing is just a formality? Would Alberto really sign unless he was assured that he could ride in all the big tours? Sitting out twice seams silly even for a guy that lets his brother manage him

It appears there is still a provision that states the team has to be in the Pro Tour. If they are not then he can leave.

I think it's a clear indicator that Contador believes they'll stay at the pro tour level, with the announcement coming now.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
In GdS's first page today, it is published an interview with Alberto Contador (he had visited his personal shoe sponsor, Sidi in Northern Italy). The title goes as "In the Tour I had to buy my own wheels" :eek:

Later on today I guess there will be the interview and a video in their website.

balkou said:
In GdS's first page today, it is published an interview with Alberto Contador (he had visited his personal shoe sponsor, Sidi in Northern Italy). The title goes as "In the Tour I had to buy my own wheels" :eek:

Later on today I guess there will be the interview and a video in their website.

Cycling Weekly picked up the story. I liked that he (AC) knocked down two stories that had been circulating about him (1) regarding him trying to keep Vino out of the TdF (frankly I think Vino will be a real asset) and (2) Bruyneel's comment that money had changed him.

Asked if he had tried to block Vinokourov, Contador said: "It's absolutely not true. It's one of the many lies put out there. I get on well with Vino and that means there's got to be respect. I've put in place other conditions but most of ethical conditions. The most important thing is that there's a severe internal anti-doping programme."

The interview with Gazzetta ended with Contador commenting on former team manager Johan Bruyneel. He also confirmed that he was forced to buy his own wheels for the Tour de France prologue.

"It happened before the Monaco prologue. The best wheels weren't available for me. It seems impossible, so I bought them myself," Contador revealed.

"Some times he (Bruyneel) was in a difficult situation. But there was one thing that irritated me: he said that money had changed my life. That's a massive lie. He knows very well that I still live in Pinto, not in luxury, but in the same way as before."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/431660/contador-confirms-that-astana-must-secure-a-protour-licence-for-him-to-stay-in-2010.html

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Cycling Weekly picked up the story. I liked that he (AC) knocked down two stories that had been circulating about him (1) regarding him trying to keep Vino out of the TdF (frankly I think Vino will be a real asset) and (2) Bruyneel's comment that money had changed him.

I completely agree about Vino. Excellent support for Contador. Happy to see him address Bruyneel too. I thought Bruyneel had more class. I'm sorry to see he engaged in the same sort of childish behavior as LA.

Publicus said:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/431660/contador-confirms-that-astana-must-secure-a-protour-licence-for-him-to-stay-in-2010.html

Apparently the LA/JB vendetta against Bertie has just begun- I found those rumors about Vino & Bertie war of words to be untruth since they came out-They've known each other since their collaboration in Liberty Seguros-Bertie has acknowledged that Vino is a "very wild rider" in a professional matter and when asked about his come back in 08, he wasn't bothered at all- just concerned how his inclusion could create some controversy, since the LA comeback was just taking shape- Klodden has been named on the blood doping ring in Austria, and he himself has carried the shadow of doubts for his link to the OP affair.

In regards of the Wheel set situation, that's just the lowest of the lowest from JB-- They blew all that money on those disgusting LA's bikes and when is time to get their real equipment for the most important race of the year--the bank/sponsorship has no cash flow? WTF? Isn't Bontrager responsible for supplying those damn wheels?-ohh sorry, I recall now that LA has money invested in that company too--just wondering where the sabotage came from...