• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador says he might stick w/ Astana!?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Time to focus chief.

tile9cl.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
"The procedure could be very long, lasting more than a month, and I don't want to find myself in December not knowing what I'm going to do in the future. But the new Astana is taking shape, with professional directors." says Contador.

MAKE A DESCISION AC!!!!
(At least Cadel announced he's leaving and announced the team within a day)

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
"The procedure could be very long, lasting more than a month, and I don't want to find myself in December not knowing what I'm going to do in the future. But the new Astana is taking shape, with professional directors." says Contador.

MAKE A DESCISION AC!!!!
(At least Cadel announced he's leaving and announced the team within a day)
The competence of AC's advisers may not be anything approaching his quality as a cyclist. I'm not optimistic that this situation is going to turn out well for him in the end, judging by how poorly his camp has handled things up til now.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I am sure his new contract after this coming season will have more holes than swiss cheese that are big enough for a humvie to drive through. Until then, he has a contract that doesn't favor his interests.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Walshworld said:
I think he just said he might stay with Astana to drive up the offer from Caisse. But why would that work--everyone knows he wants to leave? His brother Fran is his bike mechanic and financial advisor. Would you let your bike mechanic makes the calls on your multi-million dollar contract? If I were Alberto I'd take this to court and win -- the UCI is on his side and he's got a list of legitimate grievances a mile long with that dysfunctional team.

Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

My fear is that Mr. Contador is a nice guy and sees good in everyone, even when there isn't any. How anyone could stay with Astana, even if only for a year, without being paid upfront, is beyond me. The team is a bomb and will get worse.

I think the thing here is that Contador has decided he doesn't want to go to Garmin, and it is too early to decide to go to Caisse without the Valverde thing being decided. Consequently, there is no place to go but home, so stay where you are, suck it up and wait another year.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the news today was that conta as one of his conditions for staying asked to buy out… who do you think of all the italian friends of armstrong…yep ivan basso's contract.

did not work. source: kcf vice president’s son via astanafans.com weird, isn't it :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
reubenr said:
My fear is that Mr. Contador is a nice guy and sees good in everyone, even when there isn't any. How anyone could stay with Astana, even if only for a year, without being paid upfront, is beyond me. The team is a bomb and will get worse.

I think the thing here is that Contador has decided he doesn't want to go to Garmin, and it is too early to decide to go to Caisse without the Valverde thing being decided. Consequently, there is no place to go but home, so stay where you are, suck it up and wait another year.

HELLO!!

He can not leave the team for contractual reasons. His feelings and trust have nothing to do with this. It is very simple and has been reported as such extensively.

python said:
the news today was that conta as one of his conditions for staying asked to buy out… who do you think of all the italian friends of armstrong…yep ivan basso's contract.

did not work. source: kcf vice president’s son via astanafans.com weird, isn't it :rolleyes:

So he's looking for some strong riders and the Kazakh's aren't complying. Maybe AC just sits out the year instead of riding for the Keystone Cops of the Pro Tour.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If AC could get out of the contract, he would have already. Bank on it. I'm sure his advisors have been trying desperately to find some out, but if they haven't found one by now, then it's probably 99.99% certain there is none. So, his best move IMO is to use 2010 as strategic year to position himself for the best possible contract for 2011 by building bridges to other teams, riders and DSs. He'll best be able to do that if he holds his nose and honors his contract with Astana, which it seems he's resigned himself to doing. The absolute worse thing he could do, IMHO, is sit out 2010.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Agree Dominar, but I have it on good authority that he is waiting until September 5th to make his decision. I personally can't wait. Gonna be earth shattering. I am sure.

Dominar said:
If AC could get out of the contract, he would have already. Bank on it. I'm sure his advisors have been trying desperately to find some out, but if they haven't found one by now, then it's probably 99.99% certain there is none. So, his best move IMO is to use 2010 as strategic year to position himself for the best possible contract for 2011 by building bridges to other teams, riders and DSs. He'll best be able to do that if he holds his nose and honors his contract with Astana, which it seems he's resigned himself to doing. The absolute worse thing he could do, IMHO, is sit out 2010.

That's one way to look at it. The other is to not race, and rest on his record 4 wins in the last 4GT's he's entered. No one else can say that. And if he goes with a whacky Astana team not committed to fielding the best guys, then he risks being able to say that. Sure 4 out of 5 ain't bad, but it's not 4 out of 4.

He won't retire for a year, but it would certainly be something to consider using as leverage in his discussions with Astana over who they go after.

journalguy said:
The competence of AC's advisers may not be anything approaching his quality as a cyclist. I'm not optimistic that this situation is going to turn out well for him in the end, judging by how poorly his camp has handled things up til now.

I unfortunately have to agree. It seems to me that based on how much duplicity goes on in cycling, you are better off knowing that your advocates truly have your best interests at heart and do a third rate job of representing you then to have first rate representation of someone who may stab you in the back. He has chosen the better of the two alternatives.

What little time I have spent really getting into pro cycle racing, the whole model just strikes me as part circus, part red light district, part halfway house. Everyone gets taken advantage of and used except for a few puppetmasters and they aren't exactly wizards themselves. There is a seediness to it that makes the future of the sport seem bleak.

journalguy said:

No need to worry. We've been schooled by the rocket scientist's here that Contador won this years Tour by HIMSELF - i.e. TEAM isn't important. I hardly see why said scientist's are getting their knickers in a bunch about worrying what TEAM he's going to be on. I actually think the competence of AC's advisors is right on par with Contador's Verbier decision and all is as expected at Camp Contador.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
I unfortunately have to agree. It seems to me that based on how much duplicity goes on in cycling, you are better off knowing that your advocates truly have your best interests at heart and do a third rate job of representing you then to have first rate representation of someone who may stab you in the back. He has chosen the better of the two alternatives.

What little time I have spent really getting into pro cycle racing, the whole model just strikes me as part circus, part red light district, part halfway house. Everyone gets taken advantage of and used except for a few puppetmasters and they aren't exactly wizards themselves. There is a seediness to it that makes the future of the sport seem bleak.

Great image - well said. Makes you wonder what the new sponsors think they are getting into when they join the sport.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
No need to worry. We've been schooled by the rocket scientist's here that Contador won this years Tour by HIMSELF - i.e. TEAM isn't important. I hardly see why said scientist's are getting their knickers in a bunch about worrying what TEAM he's going to be on. I actually think the competence of AC's advisors is right on par with Contador's Verbier decision and all is as expected at Camp Contador.

Lol.
It really must have hurt when AC beat your boy.
Better get used to it. :D

SpeedWay said:

You sound just like all those Lance haters you love so much.
Better get a plentyful supply of sour grapes in, come next July.
Or maybe you are just plain grumpy, having just woken up and got out of the wrong side of the bed, after a three year sleep?

TRENDING THREADS