• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador to ride Giro?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
From Podium Cafe:

Cicloweb.it speculates that Alberto Contador might be a surprise addition to the Giro d’Italia this year, in part thanks to the offices of Astana sports director Giuseppe Martinelli. Yes, that Martinelli, the guy who drove the car for Marco Pantani, Stefano Garzelli, and Damiano Cunego when they won the Giro. That would quite put a twist into the plot of this Giro, if the Ciclowebbers prove correct in their prediction. Contador or no, it should be a good party there in Italy with Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre, the Liquigas-Doimo ménage leading the chase for the Pink Shirt.

With Schlecklet in v poor form, there may never be a better time for a tilt at the Double - leaving the score at 6 - 7 and AC with years of his career before him to add another 3 or 4 ;)

bianchigirl said:
From Podium Cafe:

Cicloweb.it speculates that Alberto Contador might be a surprise addition to the Giro d’Italia this year, in part thanks to the offices of Astana sports director Giuseppe Martinelli. Yes, that Martinelli, the guy who drove the car for Marco Pantani, Stefano Garzelli, and Damiano Cunego when they won the Giro. That would quite put a twist into the plot of this Giro, if the Ciclowebbers prove correct in their prediction. Contador or no, it should be a good party there in Italy with Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre, the Liquigas-Doimo ménage leading the chase for the Pink Shirt.

With Schlecklet in v poor form, there may never be a better time for a tilt at the Double - leaving the score at 6 - 7 and AC with years of his career before him to add another 3 or 4 ;)

Wouldn´t come as a surprise if that was true. Contador is the rare breed of champions from the old days willing to put the hammer down during the whole season. He has glorious memories of this race from the past and is one of the few riders (ever) who can win two or three Grand Tours over a season.

Why not shake up the Armstrong camp with a total of 7 Tours in the end of this season at the age of 27 ;) Or is that "hubris" :D

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
if true, this news/rumour would contradict my sense of whats the proper preparation for the season's main goal - the tour.

cant see berto in the giro if hes advised by sensible staff.

the source of the news may be not contador or martinelli but someone wishing to confuse things on the behalf of some aging loser running scared and imagining his only chance.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
When he made the surprise schedule change, I considered they might also surprise with the Giro. I don't see it happening, though. First focus a hundred percent on the Tour, then regroup afterward and go after the Vuelta. He can go for the Giro next year either with a new team or with an Astana that had a chance to recruit riders during the peak times. The Giro starts just thirteen days after Liege Bastogne Liege, so he wouldn't have his normal down time. He wouldn't be able to recover after the Giro and still do all the normal recon of the climbs. Plus, there's whatever allergy problem he has related to European Poplars. It would be interesting, and mess with a lot of people's heads, but I wouldn't bet any of my unemployment check on it.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
It will be a big boost to the Giro should Contador finally decides to ride there.I guess nobody will dare watch the ToC (save for some brainwashed Americans)!:D

I don't see why he can't ride for the double. It's actually a good sign re-doping and may help to changed the Armstrong entrenched viewpoint, that the Tour can only be won by riding a minimalist programme.

Radio Smacked on the chin, again. Great announcement.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
As I said in the general news thread, I really hope this isn't true. I am already resigned to watching Contador dominate the Tour in his typical boring fashion this summer, but I was looking forward to some close, exciting racing at the Giro without him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Contador might be dominant but 'boring'? You must be watching a different rider. What a shame you can't simply enjoy history being made.

Contador's DS, Martinelli, is the last man to achieve the Double (1998 with Pantani - not exactly a million years ago). I can't think of anyone better to advise a rider on whether he has what it takes to ride - and win - 2 GTs.

I hope the rumor is truth- Alberto seems to "care and enjoy" cycling in all its aspects, so a challenge like the double GT is certainly in his reach & Martinelli probably is encouraging him to pursue it. He's realizing that "only-the-TDF" philosophy is collapsing with their enforcers, and the cycling world is broader than that.

Anyone who is thinking of doing the Giro/tour double is out of their minds. If it's true that Evans, Sastre and the Liquigas team are doing it, you can bet they will be non-factors at the Tour.

This year the focus for Contador should be on pounding the competition at the Tour and putting Armstrong into retirement. If Contador also does the Giro, he is compromising his fitness. Now way can you have so many peaks in form so close together.

The only mind games Contador needs to play will be on the bike, watching Fatstrong get dropped like a sack of potatoes on HgH. This should be accomplished expeditiously at the Criterium International this coming week.

In 2008 he won the Giro following a beach vacation. I am pretty certain he wasn't at peak form at that point.

It will be interesting to see him if he tried to do the double. He is on such a dominant level I think he could achieve it.

The truly great thing about Contador is that he always races to win- be it Algarve, Paris-Nice, Basque Country or a GT. You rarely, if ever, hear him say he is there to get in some 'training miles' or to 'hone the form'. I for one am gald this recent trend is being reversed.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
python said:
if true, this news/rumour would contradict my sense of whats the proper preparation for the season's main goal - the tour.

cant see berto in the giro if hes advised by sensible staff.

the source of the news may be not contador or martinelli but someone wishing to confuse things on the behalf of some aging loser running scared and imagining his only chance.

Alberto said in an interview that the Vuelta a Espana could be an option this year and that he is thinking of riding two grand tours next year. :cool:

yes alberto do it just do it!!!!! hope finally the time has come to blow the wistle on so.

giro and tour in one year? smell the rat...or should i say smell the cobra? ask ivan he will konw it......

the only question question might be if he gets tested positive in the giro or the tour?? byebye berti.....

in earnest if he's really so asinine to do that, he could plan his summer holidays in france the next two years. berti don't you know it? only riders from bruyneel never get tested positive....

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Contador might be dominant but 'boring'? You must be watching a different rider. What a shame you can't simply enjoy history being made.

Are you the same bianchigirl I know from another forum, who at the 2008 Giro said that "any other rider would have been rightly criticised for riding in such a defensive manner" and that his "wheelsucking performance in the mountains" was a "new low for a GT winner"?

TRENDING THREADS