• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador vs Indurain in their prime

It would depend on the course. If it was heavy on TT km's, I would favor the Big Mig. Lots of mountain top finishes, would have to tip in favor of AC. But I think it is VERY premature to start any discussions like these. AC is still relatively unproven (comparatively speaking) to be put into a discussion like this. Let's see where his career goes from here before we tap him as a future all-time great.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I'm going with Alberto. He could clearly outclimb Big Mig and would be able to keep up enough in the TT's such that the time he gained in the mountains would be a net gain.

Yep. If the course was heavier on TT's AC seems to be strong enough to add that emphasis. Indurain was definitely the right man for his time, though.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Yep. If the course was heavier on TT's AC seems to be strong enough to add that emphasis. Indurain was definitely the right man for his time, though.

I agree. I am still stuck on riders in their eras and my difficulties in comparing them. I know it's not (always) about the bike, but given the gaps in technology from previous eras to now, it's hard to omit. Think Big Mig would have created less drag now as opposed to then? I do...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Lifeshape said:
I agree. I am still stuck on riders in their eras and my difficulties in comparing them. I know it's not (always) about the bike, but given the gaps in technology from previous eras to now, it's hard to omit. Think Big Mig would have created less drag now as opposed to then? I do...

Definitely think he'd improve his TT. Some of his early positions were not aero but he defaulted to ergonomic power, which satisfied the competitive needs of the time. It's possible he could lose weight ala' current day riders' for climbing but it certainly wasn't necessary then; a totally valid point.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Indurain would be too strong in the TT's in his prime. Contador would need 5 motorcycle outriders 5 metres in front instead of the usual 3 to stand a chance.

I'm going Contador, basically because I believe he has won, and will continue to win, against far better opposition than Indurain, so I'm giving Contador more credit. I mean in 1994 Indurain beat a 33-year old guy called Piotr Ugrumov into 2nd place. At least Contador will have beaten Evans and Schleck the Younger.

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Hard to tell isn't it? Indurain demolished riders in time trials, while although Contador is the best climber in the world he's not as superior. Therefore I'll go with Kenny Van Hummel

A

Anonymous

It'd be a draw.

But AC with JB and the Astana team before LA would be a formidable opponent.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Indurain was forced to race with a hematocrit of under 50% then it would not even be a contest. Contador would crush him.

Wasn't there some stat where Indurains watts/kg made u huge jump between his 2nd and 3rd Tour win? And by that explaining he did his first 2 victories without EPO? :D

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
To me, Indurain is the perfect champion; calm, calculating and quite humble. He didn't attack a lot because he didn't need to. He built the foundation of his wins in the time trials by outclassing everyone. He had already built up his lead before they hit the mountains, so all he had to do was to sit on the other favourites' wheels and not lose any time to them.

Contador is a very exciting rider to watch. He attacks a lot, but can also be calculating. His personality is astonishing similar to Indurain's, and that's one of the things I really enjoy with him. Despite having similar personalities, they are quite distinctly in their racing styles. I would love to see these two riders in a battle for the Tour win. I think both has a good chance of winning, but it depends on the route.

If one of the classic routes that were used when Indurain one his Tours, like 1994, I think Indurain would have won. He would probably be in yellow after the 64 km time trial, and would then defend it in the mountains. But if it hadn't been a time trial before the mountains, Contador would probably had snatched the jersey in the mountains, and Indurain would have to make up time in the time trial instead of gaining. And Contador riding a time trial in yellow would be extra motivated, and would not lose much to Indurain. He would then gain more time in the next series of mountain stages and win the Tour.

So I think it depends on what stage the time trial would've come in the race. I think Indurain would've won if there was a long and early time trial, while Contador would've won if the first time trial came after the first series of mountain stages.

I think you need to look at the Tours they have raced and won and compare them.

Imagine if we transported the 29 year old Indurain to next year's Tour, with just 59km total TT. How would he do? He relied on winning ITT's, and his team delivering him to final climbs with the leaders, where he hung on as they peeled away. But today's pace on stages are faster than ever, meaning he would be isolated much more often.

Now put today's Contador back to 1992 and a whopping 200km total, and Mig crushing everyone by 5 minutes on the Luxembourg ITT stage alone...

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I'm going Contador, basically because I believe he has won, and will continue to win, against far better opposition than Indurain, so I'm giving Contador more credit. I mean in 1994 Indurain beat a 33-year old guy called Piotr Ugrumov into 2nd place. At least Contador will have beaten Evans and Schleck the Younger.

Bold bit - no good. Ugromov is notorious for having for having the highest hematocrit (at 60) of the most doped team in history - the Michele Ferrari trained Gewiss. Jack anyone with that much EPO and they will be a formidable (or dead) opponent.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Indurain was forced to race with a hematocrit of under 50% then it would not even be a contest. Contador would crush him.

WTF???? 'cause Bertie doesn't dope???? cause EPO is the only PED in use and so a sub-50% hematocrit level means "clean"???? cause no-one's using saline drips and bribery and enzymes etc. Riiight.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
sadfitty said:
Without doubt, Indurain. Obviously, he was stronger than Contador in the TT's. And I doubt that Contador would be THAT much better in the mountains. Can't see him dancing away from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhEKRjhLuds

Indurain dropping Pantani et al like amateurs.

Great work sadfitty - thanks for the memories :D Escartin, Rominger, Dufaux, Riis, Chiappucci, Pantani and last of all Tonkov all getting spat from Big Mig's back wheel as he powered up to La Plange in the 53. So much for "cadence" being the Uniballer's big advantage :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS