• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Convicted Doper/Dopers - Medal at Olympics?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d'Huez said:
What Olympic Spirit do you speak of??? The last Olympic Spirit I probably remember is maybe 1976 or 80. And even those years weren't whistle clean.

The Olympics are all about money, state propaganda and sponsorship gains. While in ever increasing quantities the real target is kids. The epitome of which was J.K. Rowling reciting Peter Pan. "Inspire a new generation."

Inspire them with what? To consume, as much as possible, and for their whole lives.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
babastooey said:
Watch the opening ceremony of the 1936 Olympics and you will see that the "spirit of the Olympics" was ruined long long ago.

The spirit of the Oympics was never ruined because it never existed in the first place. It's sort of like the nostalgia for the good old days of the 1950's here in the U.S.

The only reason the Olympics was restricted to amateurs was because the nobles who invented it didn't want to lose to the lower classes, whose top athletes competed for money in order to feed their families. Only the nobility could afford the luxury of not being paid.

Of course, the pool of upper class was so small that it didn't take long before they started losing anyway, but that wonderful Olympic amateur ideal was never anything more than class warfare.

That said, I find that the true Olympic spirit of working your a$$ off in preparation and leaving everything on the field of competition does still exist in the Olympics. But it does so in spite of most of what the Games is about, not because of it.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I didn't mention the BOC, I mentioned British Cycling. Morally, when you select a convicted cheat you lose your high ground to complain about convicted cheats beating you. That's all I'm saying.

This is not like a track & field athelte earning his spot in the Olympics as per the rules. Millar got selected. No moral high ground.

Fair enough.WADA don't get to pick the GB team, altough Millar could have a case against BC if he could prove he was overlooked for selection on the basis of being a convicted doper.
I will admit that Sky/BC seem to be falling below the sportsmanship standards they set for themselves when they started.
Based on their tactic of time trialling their way through every race based on wattage, I would like to see power meters banned from competition.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
egtalbot said:
The spirit of the Oympics was never ruined because it never existed in the first place. It's sort of like the nostalgia for the good old days of the 1950's here in the U.S.

The only reason the Olympics was restricted to amateurs was because the nobles who invented it didn't want to lose to the lower classes, whose top athletes competed for money in order to feed their families. Only the nobility could afford the luxury of not being paid.

Of course, the pool of upper class was so small that it didn't take long before they started losing anyway, but that wonderful Olympic amateur ideal was never anything more than class warfare.

That said, I find that the true Olympic spirit of working your a$$ off in preparation and leaving everything on the field of competition does still exist in the Olympics. But it does so in spite of most of what the Games is about, not because of it.

I find that the true modern Olympic spirit of working your a$$ off with lots of illegal preparation and leaving everything on the field of competition to make huge $$$$s does still exist in the Olympics. It does this so successfully in spite of what the Games should be about.

I made some corrections ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
What Olympic Spirit do you speak of??? The last Olympic Spirit I probably remember is maybe 1976 or 80. And even those years weren't whistle clean.

No. 1976 are called the first anabolica games. Just forget about it...

BroDeal said:
Olympic spirit? LOL. The Olympics are totally corrupt. It is much worse than ordinary corruption because of the cynical use of nationalism.

... you forgot to mention the "Athlete's Oath". That hypocrisy almost made me vomit.

rhubroma said:
The Olympics are all about money, state propaganda and sponsorship gains. While in ever increasing quantities the real target is kids. The epitome of which was J.K. Rowling reciting Peter Pan. "Inspire a new generation."

Inspire them with what? To consume, as much as possible, and for their whole lives.

That´s true. And here i come into play. I did and follow sports my whole life. So i just tell my daughter every time they are all cheaters, don´t believe a single word. I guess i saved her. She´s into dancing and other interests...

TRENDING THREADS