Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
1,733
2
0
rick james said:
come back in a year and tell me if anything's changed, sky won't be affected one bit by todays news
I can't even count how many pictures I've seen of Cookson riding in full Sky kit. He ran British Cycling and was around during the development of Sky. Considering that BC staff ran tasks for Sky, I'd say the links are there and the optics of it all were horrible. If he wasn't pulling strings for Sky, he certainly didn't make himself appear neutral.

John Swanson
 
Sky are by far the most important sponsor in cycling - not just the money but the media aspect makes it doubly so. History and logic dictates that the UCI will be bending over backwards for their most important sponsor regardless of nationality or prez / sponsor. Only way Sky will be threatened is if / when a new, more powerful sponsor comes in
 
Aug 26, 2014
1,218
0
0
ScienceIsCool said:
rick james said:
come back in a year and tell me if anything's changed, sky won't be affected one bit by todays news
I can't even count how many pictures I've seen of Cookson riding in full Sky kit. He ran British Cycling and was around during the development of Sky. Considering that BC staff ran tasks for Sky, I'd say the links are there and the optics of it all were horrible. If he wasn't pulling strings for Sky, he certainly didn't make himself appear neutral.

John Swanson
This. Cannot understand how anyone would imagine his riding around in any team kit was acceptable. There's such a thing as being seen to do the right thing.

If a sport's governing body are truly in a position when they have to pander to their biggest sponsor no matter what the cost to the credibility of the sport or individual riders etc., then the sport truly is doomed. No matter who that sponsor is.
 
Aug 18, 2016
312
1
3,285
Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
Sky are by far the most important sponsor in cycling - not just the money but the media aspect makes it doubly so. History and logic dictates that the UCI will be bending over backwards for their most important sponsor regardless of nationality or prez / sponsor. Only way Sky will be threatened is if / when a new, more powerful sponsor comes in
Yeah but the last two times the Brits and Frenchies were friends was the two world wars. It cannot possibly be as good now for Sky as it was with Cookson there. Brailsford's luck is getting worse and worse. Hopefully.
 
Aug 18, 2016
312
1
3,285
Electress said:
ScienceIsCool said:
rick james said:
come back in a year and tell me if anything's changed, sky won't be affected one bit by todays news
I can't even count how many pictures I've seen of Cookson riding in full Sky kit. He ran British Cycling and was around during the development of Sky. Considering that BC staff ran tasks for Sky, I'd say the links are there and the optics of it all were horrible. If he wasn't pulling strings for Sky, he certainly didn't make himself appear neutral.

John Swanson
This. Cannot understand how anyone would imagine his riding around in any team kit was acceptable. There's such a thing as being seen to do the right thing.

If a sport's governing body are truly in a position when they have to pander to their biggest sponsor no matter what the cost to the credibility of the sport or individual riders etc., then the sport truly is doomed. No matter who that sponsor is.
Pretty sure he was a Sammy short of a picnic basket.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Electress said:
ScienceIsCool said:
rick james said:
come back in a year and tell me if anything's changed, sky won't be affected one bit by todays news
I can't even count how many pictures I've seen of Cookson riding in full Sky kit. He ran British Cycling and was around during the development of Sky. Considering that BC staff ran tasks for Sky, I'd say the links are there and the optics of it all were horrible. If he wasn't pulling strings for Sky, he certainly didn't make himself appear neutral.

John Swanson
This. Cannot understand how anyone would imagine his riding around in any team kit was acceptable. There's such a thing as being seen to do the right thing.

If a sport's governing body are truly in a position when they have to pander to their biggest sponsor no matter what the cost to the credibility of the sport or individual riders etc., then the sport truly is doomed. No matter who that sponsor is.
Motors will kill the sport and when that becomes public knowledge, the sport officially* becomes the LOL sport most already think it is.

*Unofficially pro cycling is known as the sport where everyone takes drugs and cheats.

I dont expect Lappartient to change too much. That is expecting a miracle and i dont believe in miracles. He may make the optics better and make the testing look serious, but i doubt he will kill off the motors or the doping.
 
Jul 7, 2015
90
0
0
rick james said:
telencefalus said:
a very very good news , but team sky will dominate another year to not make suspects i fear , but WHO KNOWS
Lol what the hell has this got to do with team sky? Nothing for them is going to change
Do you honestly not see the connections between BC/Sky and Cookson? If this were a book of fiction it would take too much suspension of disbelief to keep reading! ;~)
 
rick james said:
The Hitch said:
rick james said:
telencefalus said:
a very very good news , but team sky will dominate another year to not make suspects i fear , but WHO KNOWS
Lol what the hell has this got to do with team sky? Nothing for them is going to change
Aren't there several links between crookson and team sky?
come back in a year and tell me if anything's changed, sky won't be affected one bit by todays news
...and here I was hoping we would be spared from the onslaught of the Sky/Froome Defense Initiative. We can still dream.
 
Electress said:
ScienceIsCool said:
rick james said:
come back in a year and tell me if anything's changed, sky won't be affected one bit by todays news
I can't even count how many pictures I've seen of Cookson riding in full Sky kit. He ran British Cycling and was around during the development of Sky. Considering that BC staff ran tasks for Sky, I'd say the links are there and the optics of it all were horrible. If he wasn't pulling strings for Sky, he certainly didn't make himself appear neutral.

John Swanson
This. Cannot understand how anyone would imagine his riding around in any team kit was acceptable. There's such a thing as being seen to do the right thing.

If a sport's governing body are truly in a position when they have to pander to their biggest sponsor no matter what the cost to the credibility of the sport or individual riders etc., then the sport truly is doomed. No matter who that sponsor is.

Have to agree with this; even if Cookson had the best intentions he was woefully inept at seeing how all of this looked along with his inability to take a strong leadership position on anything related to Sky. He couldn’t bring himself to be critical of SDB or anyone involved with the team despite what had came out with BC and Sky in the last year. The Mascon and Edmondson issue being the most telling along with his son looking into Heano passport. Total stupidity of his behalf. You add all of this together with the iPad failures and burying positives in a PDF file you have one very inept President, especially in a sport with so many dominant players.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
The Hitch said:
carton said:
Lolz. ASO's guy, the guy who almost ended women's racing in France, who was heavily backed by Bruyneel and HWMNBN, and lobbyied for by the Big Man himself, is in by a landslide! Guess we're really going to test out that title hypothesis.

I call shotgun on setting up Kimmage's new legal defence fund.
Its like hearing that some ***** crimelord has been taken out by police.

Sure, someone equally horrible may replace them, but let us all rejoice for today that the witch is dead.
Have you been watching Narcos too?
No. I read about the true nonsensationalised history of that subject long before Hollywood got their fat cat hands on it
 
Jul 19, 2009
753
0
0
Now everyone knows that motor can be used in cycling, so they know too that some people are using them. So to cacth cheaters will be seen as normal. We are used to see cheating in sports. Why would it be diffrent there?
 
Jul 14, 2015
424
0
0
You kind of gotta pick one, either he's so inept that he couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery or he's the criminal mastermind of the Sky motor conspiracy. The timeline doesn't work but those details have never concerned anyone on here :lol:

Dispelling this silly motor stuff is as easy as taking a bike from the winner of some GC MTF and putting it or it's respective parts into their mobile xray van. Do it right after the finish, keep some cameras around, there you go.
 
Aug 26, 2014
1,218
0
0
Re:

hazaran said:
You kind of gotta pick one, either he's so inept that he couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery or he's the criminal mastermind of the Sky motor conspiracy. The timeline doesn't work but those details have never concerned anyone on here :lol:

Dispelling this silly motor stuff is as easy as taking a bike from the winner of some GC MTF and putting it or it's respective parts into their mobile xray van. Do it right after the finish, keep some cameras around, there you go.
No. All that is required of him is that he turned a blind eye, did the bare minimum, thereby allowing whatever nefariousness was going on to flourish in the stygian gloom of his making. If one team had a direct line of communication and others didn't, that'd be enough to give an unfair advantage in terms of 'protection' / understanding.. It doesn't need any masterminding, merely a total lack of effective action against favoured interests
 
May 13, 2011
488
0
0
Hey, does Lappartient now preside over any doping cases in UCIs closet or have access to what they have decided without reason are false positives?

If so, that is probably quite a few nervous people and significant leverage.

Damn glad the BC/Sky/UCI cabal has been broken.

Hopefully Lappartient will be better, but any relationship to Pat is problematic.
 
Gibbs really did upset a lot of people - 37 to 8, Geezus!

Nice round up of the election http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/news/cookson-got-maneuvered-lost-uci-election_448678
With Lappartient comes the fear that the UCI will now become an extended arm of ASO. So far, there is nothing to suggest Lappartient will become ASO’s lapdog, but just as many feared collusion between Cookson and British Cycling, critics will surely look for links, real or imagined, between Lappartient and ASO.
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/news/cookson-got-maneuvered-lost-uci-election_448678#oD3fzGg2tIXBjmeM.99
 
Oct 10, 2012
926
0
0
His attitude since he lost the election just shows the sort of man he is. Bitter, in denial and utterly deluded. Claiming credit for turning around the UCI (that only he can see) and stating his bewilderment at how many delegates voted against him. He got voted in initially because anyone was better then McQuaid and now he has been voted out because anyone would have been better than Cookson yet he fails to join the dots. He is still making public statements full of self praise and blaming everybody else including Lappartient for having the gall to stand against him, MP's in his own country for having the cheek to criticise him and delegates for having the cheek to vote against him.
 
Re:

ontheroad said:
His attitude since he lost the election just shows the sort of man he is. Bitter, in denial and utterly deluded. Claiming credit for turning around the UCI (that only he can see) and stating his bewilderment at how many delegates voted against him. He got voted in initially because anyone was better then McQuaid and now he has been voted out because anyone would have been better than Cookson yet he fails to join the dots. He is still making public statements full of self praise and blaming everybody else including Lappartient for having the gall to stand against him, MP's in his own country for having the cheek to criticise him and delegates for having the cheek to vote against him.

Goes to show what an idiot he is. No doubt when Brailsford said there was no doping at British Cycling and Sky he believed it. His response to the Stade 2 documentary and the release of emails in the past shows Cookson total ineptness to motor fraud. He is totally clueless. A very weak leader.
 
Re: Re:

purcell said:
Is that the first time in the last 4 years he hasn't been spotted in public heading off in his Team Sky kit??
He's never actually been spotted in Team Sky kit, though, has he. It's just one those Clinic alternative facts.

When head of British Cycling he would have worn BC kit, which was sponsored by Sky for a time. But wearing anything with Sky on it in the last four years?
 
Re: Re:

Parker said:
purcell said:
Is that the first time in the last 4 years he hasn't been spotted in public heading off in his Team Sky kit??
He's never actually been spotted in Team Sky kit, though, has he. It's just one those Clinic alternative facts.

When head of British Cycling he would have worn BC kit, which was sponsored by Sky for a time. But wearing anything with Sky on it in the last four years?

True but his obvious love and “smugness” when wearing the “Team Sky” kit when he knows there should have been a seperation between the publicly funded BC and privately funded Team Sky. Cookson was a total idiot and clearly was in love with Sky. Having his son working there was a huge misstep especially Olli’s involvement in the Heano passport case.

 
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Parker said:
purcell said:
Is that the first time in the last 4 years he hasn't been spotted in public heading off in his Team Sky kit??
He's never actually been spotted in Team Sky kit, though, has he. It's just one those Clinic alternative facts.

When head of British Cycling he would have worn BC kit, which was sponsored by Sky for a time. But wearing anything with Sky on it in the last four years?

True but his obvious love and “smugness” when wearing the “Team Sky” kit when he knows there should have been a seperation between the publicly funded BC and privately funded Team Sky. Cookson was a total idiot and clearly was in love with Sky. Having his son working there was a huge misstep especially Olli’s involvement in the Heano passport case.

Not in the last four years though. January 2012

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/bc20120125-about-bc-news-Life-of-Brian-%E2%80%93-January-2012---British-Cycling-President-Brian-Cookson-blogs-after-a-hectic-time-across-Europe-0
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re: Re:

Parker said:
purcell said:
Is that the first time in the last 4 years he hasn't been spotted in public heading off in his Team Sky kit??
He's never actually been spotted in Team Sky kit, though, has he. It's just one those Clinic alternative facts.

When head of British Cycling he would have worn BC kit, which was sponsored by Sky for a time. But wearing anything with Sky on it in the last four years?
He has not posted a selfie in Sky kit doesn't mean he has not worn it or have you been with Brian since 2012?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The Clinic 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY