• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
He has not posted a selfie in Sky kit doesn't mean he has not worn it or have you been with Brian since 2012?
It doesn't mean he has either. If someone suggests that Cookson has spent the past four years riding around in Sky kit, I'd expect at least one picture from that period - there's plenty of him in other kit.

Benotti69 said:
Parker said:
purcell said:
Is that the first time in the last 4 years he hasn't been spotted in public heading off in his Team Sky kit??
He's never actually been spotted in Team Sky kit, though, has he. It's just one those Clinic alternative facts.

When head of British Cycling he would have worn BC kit, which was sponsored by Sky for a time. But wearing anything with Sky on it in the last four years?

He has not posted a selfie in Sky kit doesn't mean he has not worn it or have you been with Brian since 2012?

A poster is called out for posting a picture whose timeline fails to support their argument - Abd you defend them - Wow !

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Cookson slamming the door on his way out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/09/21/brian-cookson-surprised-disappointed-losing-uci-presidential/

“I am very surprised and disappointed by the scale of the defeat,” he said. “I expected to get into the mid-20s [in terms of votes]. I thought I was ahead. It hurts. Of course it does. It’s disappointing if only because it’s clear that a lot of people lied to me.”

But, but... They told me..

No reflection whatsoever, just butt-hurt.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
Cookson slamming the door on his way out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/09/21/brian-cookson-surprised-disappointed-losing-uci-presidential/

“I am very surprised and disappointed by the scale of the defeat,” he said. “I expected to get into the mid-20s [in terms of votes]. I thought I was ahead. It hurts. Of course it does. It’s disappointing if only because it’s clear that a lot of people lied to me.”

But, but... They told me..

No reflection whatsoever, just butt-hurt.

A liar is crying when others lied to him. Funny stuff.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
Parker said:
purcell said:
Is that the first time in the last 4 years he hasn't been spotted in public heading off in his Team Sky kit??
He's never actually been spotted in Team Sky kit, though, has he. It's just one those Clinic alternative facts.

When head of British Cycling he would have worn BC kit, which was sponsored by Sky for a time. But wearing anything with Sky on it in the last four years?

A poster is called out for posting a picture whose timeline fails to support their argument - Abd you defend them - Wow !

I bet Cookson has plenty of Sky gear in his closet.

They better keep delivering too unless they want him to start digging up stuff and i bet his garden is full of gems :) about Sky

Benotti69 said:
yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
Parker said:
purcell said:

I bet Cookson has plenty of Sky gear in his closet.

They better keep delivering too unless they want him to start digging up stuff and i bet his garden is full of gems :) about Sky

He is also going to have plenty of iPads at home.

Cookson is displaying via his departure exactly the sort of person he really is and the "competences" he brought to heading up the UCI for 4 years and to BC for 16 years before that.
This tweet sums up the history

Cookson: "Someone had to stand up against the old guard [...] And I delivered to my promises."
This is B u l l s h i t-Bingo gold!#UCICongress
https://twitter.com/Felixschoenbach/status/910793759272644609

Remember at BC the effect was magnified as he formed a tag team with a CEO also expert in looking the other way. I loved the way that the CEO could only find his computer to write a report of some of what was going on, on the eve of his departure after over a decade there. Then he put it in a locked filling cabinet and threw away the key !
Nicholl CEO at UKSPORT - BC never sent us a copy of this explosive report (I wonder why darling ? F***ing difficult to think of an answer to that one. Certainly got me stumped.)
Talk about King setting up an insurance policy for posterity. "I just need this not to explode until I am a safe distance away from this sack of *** I have been responsible for managing".

Cookson and King - the saviours of British Cycling - d**n pity they only put each other up in turn for OBE's why didn't they go for matching Sir Brad.

At least at the UCI L'Appartient is chucking out some of Cookson's stooges, at BC the whole dystopian structure was left in place.

Sutton - chief coach. In his own words - I haven't read a book since I was 16. Yay - you mnagement types, you guys with your heads buried in the sand, any idea why people are keen to put him forward as the "best candidate" ? Any tiny inkling in a sport riddled with PEDs and corruption ?

Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Cookson is displaying via his departure exactly the sort of person he really is and the "competences" he brought to heading up the UCI for 4 years and to BC for 16 years before that.
This tweet sums up the history

Cookson: "Someone had to stand up against the old guard [...] And I delivered to my promises."
This is B u l l s h i t-Bingo gold!#UCICongress
https://twitter.com/Felixschoenbach/status/910793759272644609

Remember at BC the effect was magnified as he formed a tag team with a CEO also expert in looking the other way. I loved the way that the CEO could only find his computer to write a report of some of what was going on, on the eve of his departure after over a decade there. Then he put it in a locked filling cabinet and threw away the key !
Nicholl CEO at UKSPORT - BC never sent us a copy of this explosive report (I wonder why darling ? F***ing difficult to think of an answer to that one. Certainly got me stumped.)
Talk about King setting up an insurance policy for posterity. "I just need this not to explode until I am a safe distance away from this sack of *** I have been responsible for managing".

Cookson and King - the saviours of British Cycling - d**n pity they only put each other up in turn for OBE's why didn't they go for matching Sir Brad.

At least at the UCI L'Appartient is chucking out some of Cookson's stooges, at BC the whole dystopian structure was left in place.

Sutton - chief coach. In his own words - I haven't read a book since I was 16. Yay - you mnagement types, you guys with your heads buried in the sand, any idea why people are keen to put him forward as the "best candidate" ? Any tiny inkling in a sport riddled with PEDs and corruption ?

Cookosn was clueless as president and then clueless to why he lost by so many votes, at least he got one more selfie on the way out the door.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Funny watching some here try to take up for coooksSon. Such hypocrisy from this clown.

On the bright side he can hangout at the hotels where team sky stay during training. Maybe even ride a moto. Plenty more time to do that now that he does not have to pretend to be running the UCI.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Semper Fidelis said:
Funny watching some here try to take up for coooksSon. Such hypocrisy from this clown.

On the bright side he can hangout at the hotels where team sky stay during training. Maybe even ride a moto. Plenty more time to do that now that he does not have to pretend to be running the UCI.

Now that he is no longer anyone that matters at BC or the UCI I expect that his standing invitations to Sky training camps will go away. If he shows up I imagine they will tell him group ride is at 11 and then all leave at 10.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

purcell said:
Semper Fidelis said:

Now that he is no longer anyone that matters at BC or the UCI I expect that his standing invitations to Sky training camps will go away. If he shows up I imagine they will tell him group ride is at 11 and then all leave at 10.
I doubt that. They like the taste of his male member and will keep on drinking.

Cookson has made a lot of money for many, mostly British, cyclists. I expect they'll call him daddy for many more years to come. Good riddance.

On a positive note, I haven't been more exicted about professional cycling than I have been for many years. I stopped liking Armstrong after the Simeoni episode, when I connected the dots, and it has been all downhill from there.

purcell said:
Semper Fidelis said:

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

In the end, the lack of that essential politicians skill also helped bring Cookson’s presidency to what seemed like a surprise end.

Cookson is, in fact, the first President of the UCI to serve only one four-year term.

“When you saw Brian at events he was almost always on his own, with his rucksack over his shoulder, never really talking to people and you need to do that.”

Lack of the leadership style required at the UCI and a dearth of political skills were, in the end, what cost Cookson his presidency. This was not, as some suggested, old European nations reclaiming what was ‘theirs’ and neither was it blow-back from British Cycling’s recent troubles; rather, Cookson’s troubles were of his own making.

Whether the president-elect David Lappartient has the vision and the political smarts to re-energise the UCI remains to be seen, but anyone who can win an election by 37 votes to eight clearly knows how to work a room…

29n757o.jpg

Cookson has taken to the pages of The Comic to tell British time trial fans what a wonderfully brilliant job he did:
I’d like to ask CW readers to think back to 2013 and ask themselves: “Is the UCI, is the sport, in a better place now than then?” I’d submit that it is in a far, far better place.

For a start, the UCI is no longer at war with WADA and other anti-doping agencies, who should have been, and now are, among the closest allies of our sport’s international federation.

Plus, four years ago, senior figures within the IOC were calling for cycling to be removed from the Olympic Games altogether. Now our sport has four new medal events, making cycling the third biggest sport at the Games.

The men’s UCI WorldTour is now a genuinely worldwide affair, which respects the sport’s heritage and heartlands while bringing in new territories where there is interest in, and potential for, our sport — that includes Great Britain.
He goes on:
Could more have been achieved? Yes, of course. But, despite what some people seem to think, running a complex international federation of several disciplines, covering 190 national federations on five continents, with thousands of events, and millions of fans, is not a job that can be carried out by the whims of one man. The age of the sporting oligarch has passed.

What I always tried to achieve was progress through consensus. That’s never easy. And if you compare the role of an international federation to that of a regulator of an industry, that’s where difficulties increase.
What of the claim that Cookson ignored the management committee by delegating the real power to Martin Gibbs?
Despite what has been said, I always ensured that I gave my vice presidents and management committee ample opportunity to participate in important decisions, tried to make sure that they were supportive of what was agreed, and that they understood the principle of collective responsibility.
How could a man elected on such a wave of populist approval lose so heavily?
Clearly some delegates changed their minds at the last minute. I think my team and I ran a good campaign, we made bold but achievable commitments in my manifesto, and on the day I think my speech to the Congress, which contained a number of new commitments, was fair and honest.

I genuinely believed I was ahead by a reasonable margin. Clearly not enough delegates felt the same way.
And now for a dig at the cycling media and commentariat:
But for all the coverage that there has been, I haven’t read a single accurate analysis. The result was nothing to do with any of the British Cycling or Team Sky controversies, nothing to do with my style of leadership, nothing to do with technological fraud allegations, and nothing to do with my perceived personality strengths or weaknesses.
What was it then, Brian?
The result was pure politics. In simple terms, I think we got the campaign right, but the politics disastrously wrong.
Care to offer a scare before bedtime, Brian? A parting shot?
I hope David Lappartient will resist any pressure that he will face from the power brokers of the past, who took cycling into such a dark place.

I fear for his sanity:
"In my view, the 2017 UCI WorldTour has proven to be the most successful in the competition's history. There have been some great races, of all types, right across the world,” Cookson told Cyclingnews after reading McQuaid's comment and the WorldTour Week content.

"By contrast, McQuaid's 2013 proposals would have been disastrous for the sport, with certain major stage races forced to lose days, other races dropped from the top level altogether, teams unhappy, etc, etc."
source

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS