• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Hawkwood said:
When did McQuaid give an `...impression of a strong, determined, arms-waving, angry leader...'? Do you mean when he was threatening law suits against anyone who claimed the UCI was corrupt?

I am not interested in and this is not to be taken as me posting anything that sounds complimentary regarding Pat McQuaid.

But one example is he pushed back hard against USADA and demanded jurisdiction.

Hawkwood said:
When did McQuaid give an `...impression of a strong, determined, arms-waving, angry leader...'? Do you mean when he was threatening law suits against anyone who claimed the UCI was corrupt?

McQuaid - and this is said with all the necessary caveats - always managed to act like he had the vision thing in hand, that he had an idea and he was going to make it happen, sod what anyone else said. So we got the ProTour wars, the desire to take out race radios, all the other arguments when people disagreed with him. He was as decisive as he was divisive.

Hawkwood said:

Yes basically. Of course that (and everything else he did) would not fool the little clique in the Clinic but in the big world outside these confinements he sure did look like a general fighting the undercover doping. People couldnt believe they were in the same bed until pretty much the end.

Now you´ve got Cookson and he sure gives the impression of a cloak and dagger office-man and people looking for change has to look elsewhere. But then again he could just lean back knowing that others writing the new clean narrative for him as if nothing ever happened, so people outside the Clinic will be pleased by that.

fmk_Rol said:
McQuaid - and this is said with all the necessary caveats - always managed to act like he had the vision thing in hand, that he had an idea and he was going to make it happen, sod what anyone else said. So we got the ProTour wars, the desire to take out race radios, all the other arguments when people disagreed with him. He was as decisive as he was divisive.

This.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cookson complains about Kimmage asking questions via twitter of him

“It’s easy to ask those questions in 140 characters,” he says, “but not very easy to answer them in any meaningful way.”

I would've thought the answer to that was to sit down with Kimmage for an interview!

No_Balls said:
I´d say Cookson is the classical burecrautical, weak, puppet-president.

Well, but there was more going on. It wasn't just McQuaid. It was Verbruggen, appointed for life, and McQuaid driving things forward. Any sort of real challenge coming McQuaid's way would be referred to Hein. You can't say "no" to the King.

FWIW, Verbruggen is, theoretically, retired. How 'retired' is he? I don't really know. I know that his buddy that ran the IOC isn't doing that anymore, so he can't stomp around the IOC like he owns the place like Blatter.

Cookson doesn't have friends in high places at the IOC. Cookson, theoretically, can't run to Verbruggen either. So, he can't operate like McQuaid.

IMO Cookson already looks like he'll be vaguely resembling McQuaid's reign anyway since the UCI answers to no one and likes their secrecy just fine. He is more media savvy for sure.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Well, but there was more going on. It wasn't just McQuaid. It was Verbruggen, appointed for life, and McQuaid driving things forward. Any sort of real challenge coming McQuaid's way would be referred to Hein. You can't say "no" to the King.

FWIW, Verbruggen is, theoretically, retired. How 'retired' is he? I don't really know. I know that his buddy that ran the IOC isn't doing that anymore, so he can't stomp around the IOC like he owns the place like Blatter.

Cookson doesn't have friends in high places at the IOC. Cookson, theoretically, can't run to Verbruggen either. So, he can't operate like McQuaid.

IMO Cookson already looks like he'll be vaguely resembling McQuaid's reign anyway since the UCI answers to no one and likes their secrecy just fine. He is more media savvy for sure.

I would guess this is the difference between Cookson and McQuaid and Cookson has better management abilites although not by much!

DirtyWorks said:
Spoken like a project manager or above! :D

How do you know what's in the pdf? How do you structure the documents? And it just gets more difficult from there.

That's the document management bit though - obviously I'm assuming that the previous CMS file manager was structured with a rational folder and file name structure meaning the web team would be able to find the document in the back-end easily enough. But yeah, that's obviously not a given. . .

May 26, 2010
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
I love the way some people try to complicate the easy stuff. The docs appeared on two pages of the website. Manual porting wouldn't take more than an hour of a trained monkey's time.

So why are your monkeys not working on it?

fmk_RoI said:
I love the way some people try to complicate the easy stuff. The docs appeared on two pages of the website. Manual porting wouldn't take more than an hour of a trained monkey's time.

Ahh yes, but the UCI only looks forward. ;)

It's best to close that and never visit the past again. Except, if there's a need to re-imagine it to CYA.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
“I mean, the Yates brothers should be in Team Sky,” Cookson added.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-failing-uk-talent-140998#PK0GdGSTWbbjuX64.99

Yeah..
UCI president interferes with team signings...

Does he want them to burn out as slaves for Froome...?
Or is he also going to interfere with how SKY manages their riders and what races they participate in..

Holy moly....!

Or just a smokescreen -appearing unbiased...
Doesn't work out very well..

Funny thing also.. The article below says that Team Sky eyes to sign Yates brothers in 2016..

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Yeah..
UCI president interferes with team signings...

Does he want them to burn out as slaves for Froome...?
Or is he also going to interfere with how SKY manages their riders and what races they participate in..

Holy moly....!

Or just a smokescreen -appearing unbiased...
Doesn't work out very well..

Funny thing also.. The article below says that Team Sky eyes to sign Yates brothers in 2016..

I am confused. I read on these boards over and over that Sky is essentially British Cycling. That they are one in the same. That their charter is to develop British riders. If that is the case isn't it obvious that the two most talented young British riders should be on the team?

Race Radio said:
I am confused. I read on these boards over and over that Sky is essentially British Cycling. That they are one in the same. That their charter is to develop British riders. If that is the case isn't it obvious that the two most talented young British riders should be on the team?

But should the UCI President be commenting on it?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Cookson is no longer with british cycling.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh my... most of you blinded by hate cant even swallow it when Cookson just talks of what he would like to see. Its not that he invented a law that Sky must sign the Yates bros... Mann o Mann, was für ein Kasperl-Theater

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:

You read on these boards?

How does that matter?

they are a professional cycling team first and foremost imo.

The argument that young british riders should be on a british team is fallible.. You have to consider the development of the young riders before any national sentiment..

UCI has in my opinion no right to interfere here.. Does he have insider knowledge of Team sky and the two brothers to warrant such a statement...?

Even so, Cookson doing this is highly inappropriate..

Race Radio said:

That was on their to-do list, after getting a rider onto the top step of the podium and bringing him back again. And they're delivering on that next year with the development squad. They've a very talented Olympic hopeful lined up for that team, Bradley somebody or other...

As for Cookson "interfering" in who rides for what teams ... McQuaid occasionally blackballed certain riders - recovering dopers - and he may have sometimes leaned on teams to recruit a promising African rider developed by the UCI academy. But he never said where Nico Roche should be riding.