Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Appreciate Benson going after the Tenerife story, but he's all over the place by presenting Parisotto as some sort of objective source of info:
Although Parisotto is not privy to the UCI's testing strategy – he analyses anonymous data – he laid out a balanced case over the Tenerife situation.http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lack-of-anti-doping-testing-in-tenerife-under-spotlight
really?:rolleyes:
This is like asking a cyclist whether he dopes. COmpletely pointless.
Benson, why not ask an independent anti-doping specialist what to make of the situation?
 
sniper said:
Appreciate Benson going after the Tenerife story, but he's all over the place by presenting Parisotto as some sort of objective source of info:
really?:rolleyes:
This is like asking a cyclist whether he dopes. COmpletely pointless.
Benson, why not ask an independent anti-doping specialist what to make of the situation?
He seems pretty fit for the job. Is there a cornucopia of independent anti-doping experts out there with Parisotto's experience?

I agree, Benson is all over the place with the story. But, he's trying to fit all of cycling's liars/lies into something with some journalistic standards that people will want to read. Tough job. Keep trying Mr. Benson!
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
sniper said:
Appreciate Benson going after the Tenerife story, but he's all over the place by presenting Parisotto as some sort of objective source of info:
really?:rolleyes:
This is like asking a cyclist whether he dopes. COmpletely pointless.
Benson, why not ask an independent anti-doping specialist what to make of the situation?
Do a search on "EPO micro dose half life" and it will show up something long the line of "X hours".

Now go back and read what Parisotto is saying.

Either he's way off-base, or they have refined the test and increased its sensitivity by a few orders of magnitude - and he is inadvertently / deliberately letting everyone know.
 
Dear Wiggo said:
Do a search on "EPO micro dose half life" and it will show up something long the line of "X hours".

Now go back and read what Parisotto is saying.

Either he's way off-base, or they have refined the test and increased its sensitivity by a few orders of magnitude - and he is inadvertently / deliberately letting everyone know.
Most importantly, WADA adopts tests that are backed by published research, so a determined cheat/prepatore will be fully aware when a more sophisticated test is available for WADA labs. Though, how quickly the certified labs adopt is an open question.

IMO, there are plenty of longitudinal positives in a queue as we understand there to be quite a few letters from the UCI being sent out asking for parameter explanations.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
DirtyWorks said:
He seems pretty fit for the job. Is there a cornucopia of independent anti-doping experts out there with Parisotto's experience?
In that interview he sounds more like UCI's PR manager than an antidoping specialist.

"In the old days of systematic doping
:rolleyes:
teams used to dope while training in the hope that they could reach that level again in competition but without doping. That worked when the sport was uncontrolled.
read: it was uncontrolled in the festina/lance era and is fully under control now..:rolleyes:

and then let's downplay the importance of microdoping:rolleyes:
even the contemporary practice of micro-doping will inevitably leave tell-tale signs somewhere down the line.
yeah right.
ow, and of course blood doping is the only thing you can do on Tenerife:rolleyes:
"In terms of following riders to the ends of the earth to a cycling camp, I'm not too perturbed by that because I know that down the track the passport will show up something"
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
sniper said:
In that interview he sounds more like UCI's PR manager than an antidoping specialist.

:rolleyes:
read: it was uncontrolled in the festina/lance era and is fully under control now..:rolleyes:

and then let's downplay the importance of microdoping:rolleyes:yeah right.
ow, and of course blood doping is the only thing you can do on Tenerife:rolleyes:
The passport doesn't work if you are testing athletes only every 11months...

Who do they think they are kidding! More talking the talk.......
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Benotti69 said:
The passport doesn't work if you are testing athletes only every 11months...
plus, i reckon there are weight drugs and plenty of other PEDs that fall outside the reach of the BP and that would make testing at Tenerife worthwhile, but Parisotto conveniently ignores that.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
DirtyWorks said:
Most importantly, WADA adopts tests that are backed by published research, so a determined cheat/prepatore will be fully aware when a more sophisticated test is available for WADA labs. Though, how quickly the certified labs adopt is an open question.

IMO, there are plenty of longitudinal positives in a queue as we understand there to be quite a few letters from the UCI being sent out asking for parameter explanations.
It's an interesting rumor, though how do we define 'plenty of'. In any case, I don't think UCI is going to be very forthcoming about it. Parisotto seems more inclined to pretend all is good now:
"In the old days of systematic doping
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
sniper said:
plus, i reckon there are weight drugs and plenty of other PEDs that fall outside the reach of the BP and that would make testing at Tenerife worthwhile, but Parisotto conveniently ignores that.
Doping is big business. It will need big funding to properly combat it.
 
sniper said:
It's an interesting rumor, though how do we define 'plenty of'. In any case, I don't think UCI is going to be very forthcoming about it. Parisotto seems more inclined to pretend all is good now:
I agree, I've got no clue what the number of letters could be, only that references to them being sent to more well-known riders come up repeatedly.

If we had WADA reporting ABP statistics like they do for competition testing, we'd have a clue. Why wouldn't the UCI wouldn't want to report ABP stats? ;)

Give Parisotto a break. The sports federations are his employers. His comments about Honer's values were very useful. It certainly wasn't something he had to do.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Apart from being on his manifesto, like wages for women and independent anti-doping, what was the reasoning behind ripping the guts out of the world tour?
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
0
0
thehog said:
"Rupert Mudoch speaking through his interpreter Brian Cookson said the new format will be perfect for broadcast TV. Coupled with cameras on bikes and the suppression of anti-doping announcements cycling had a bright and very rich future"
Ethical issues such as multiple doping infractions could also send a team out of the WorldTour and into the Challenge Tour.
Cookson and the UCI will let their friends do what they want, and crack down on unfriendly dopers that take things too far. I bet Nibali will mysteriously be a shadow of his former self next year.

I guess the only thing missing now is to ditch the vuelta and make the ToB a grand tour instead.
 
Aug 2, 2012
5,971
1
0
the sceptic said:
Cookson and the UCI will let their friends do what they want, and crack down on unfriendly dopers that take things too far. I bet Nibali will mysteriously be a shadow of his former self next year.

I guess the only thing missing now is to ditch the vuelta and make the ToB a grand tour instead.
Only JV can save cycling now! :rolleyes:

Or maybe Lance can buy the Tour with Hein and get things back to the old days.
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
0
0
thehog said:
Only JV can save cycling now! :rolleyes:

Or maybe Lance can buy the Tour with Hein and get things back to the old days.
I would be all for it. Cookson is the worst thing that could have happened to cycling.

This cutting down on race days is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.
 
Aug 2, 2012
5,971
1
0
All I can find is the CN report.....has anybody found anything where there is any kind of explanation as to the reasoning behind these changes?

Mark L
 
ebandit said:
All I can find is the CN report.....has anybody found anything where there is any kind of explanation as to the reasoning behind these changes?

Mark L
Give it a few more minutes Mark - the Hawks on here will be scouring and posting every link under the sun soon ...
 
the sceptic said:
I would be all for it. Cookson is the worst thing that could have happened to cycling.

This cutting down on race days is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.
Clearly he is 'influnced'. Prior to the elections I was ridiculed for suggesting this would happen. The SkySports Super Cycling Challenge Series (SSSCCS) coming to a SkySports TV channel near you.
 
thehog said:
Only JV can save cycling now! :rolleyes:

Or maybe Lance can buy the Tour with Hein and get things back to the old days.
I'm glad you can joke about it, cos it makes me very depressed.

The oldest stage race on the books, off the books. Others chopped down or demoted.
The frantic chase after global cash means death to the financial sick old men of Europe.:(
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY