• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Tucker nailing it on facebook:

For example, who actually believes that Tour podium finishers would be exposed by authorities if they had an engine, given what we know? Instead, an U/23 rider can get nailed, the sport's leader can come down hard on what he calls a "minority" and off we go, a sport that you already had to watch with cognitive dissonance to enjoy just got a whole lot more suspicious (if that was even possible!)
https://www.facebook.com/The-Science-of-Sport-213103522034028/

Many thanks to Tienus for providing all the links.

Right so what I want to know is in this new transparent cleans era how come the only source defining Niels van den Driessche , the bother of the girl with the motor has a two year ban for EPO is a couple of lines in the monthly Flandrian newletter. http://www.dopinglijn.be/fileadmin/media/nieuws/Studiedag/dopingpreventie_-_gids_voor_sportfederaties.pdf There is no record of it on the doping be website http://www.dopinglijn.be

and nothing at the UCI.

According the doping BE stats http://www.dopinglijn.be/fileadmin/media/cijfers_stats/2014_jaartotaal.pdf there were 40 positives and 17 confirmations. 23 got to live another day. Does WADA know about this. If they don't how can they appeal the case to CAS if they disagree that the Belgian Fed made a fair fist of dealing with the case of Belgian riders who had actually done the near impossible and failed the anti-doping test ?

And of those 17 how many are on the UCI website ?

If someone can point them out and track the record of these cases that would be great. Right now, having not been able to find Niels van den Driessche on the anti-doping BE website I am a a little perplexed.

What is lighting-jack-flash-Cookson doing ?

Cookson needs to go. Still can't believe how many actually believed he was gonna be 'the guy' to save pro cycling. I guess Hein and Pat were so bad, that even Donald J. Trump would be an improvement....

In all seriousness though, people need to wake up. There is so much money going around, even in a sport that pales in comparison to football (both kinds), basketball, athletics, tennis, etc that you are bound to have corruption. As the Armstrong saga showed us, it happens in cycling as well, and it will continue to happen. It would take someone that's knowledgeable but non-mainstream, someone that's not gonna kiss butts but will work with and be more pragmatic and less interest driven. That may be nigh on impossible in world of professional sport, but that's where you need to start.

BullsFan22 said:
Cookson needs to go. Still can't believe how many actually believed he was gonna be 'the guy' to save pro cycling. I guess Hein and Pat were so bad, that even Donald J. Trump would be an improvement....

In all seriousness though, people need to wake up. There is so much money going around, even in a sport that pales in comparison to football (both kinds), basketball, athletics, tennis, etc that you are bound to have corruption. As the Armstrong saga showed us, it happens in cycling as well, and it will continue to happen. It would take someone that's knowledgeable but non-mainstream, someone that's not gonna kiss butts but will work with and be more pragmatic and less interest driven. That may be nigh on impossible in world of professional sport, but that's where you need to start.

The only reason I even gave him a chance was that he wasn't Phat or Verbruggen. It was always probably that he was drinking the same kool-aid, but you have to at least try. It couldn't have gotten a lot worse than those two numbnuts. I still don't think it's worse, but I also don't think it's any better.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Even more than classical doping, it would seem motordoping is susceptible to corrupt behavior from officials.
Testing for motors tomorrow? A quick call or even a simple sms/whatsapp to (one of) the team managers...cha-ching...
And should they find a motor, as this is not WADA regulated testing, there is so much scope for brown envelopes to settle uncomfortable situations and clear the Sky...I mean, sky.

So the huge, ugly, monstruous *** Dinosaur in the room here is called Oliver.

But no worries, Brian reassured us that
"considering his particular technical position with the team, I do not see any circumstances which could lead to a potential conflict of interest"
http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Organisation/17/41/07/RegisterofinterestsB.Cookson_Neutral.pdf

May 13, 2015
Visit site
UCI nor any sports federation should have anything to do with the testing and sanctioning of riders/athletes. Inter-Europol should have a special section for sporting fraud and the police should handle the testing. And the sports world should of course put up most of the money because it certainly wouldn't be cheap.

There will of course still be corruption but hopefully less.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:
UCI nor any sports federation should have anything to do with the testing and sanctioning of riders/athletes. Inter-Europol should have a special section for sporting fraud and the police should handle the testing. And the sports world should of course put up most of the money because it certainly wouldn't be cheap.

There will of course still be corruption but hopefully less.
agreed.

The complete failure of the cycling media to call Cookson to account is unsurprising. Not a word on the lack of independent testing.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
by going through Cookson's twitter feed, you can make quite a list of athletes whom - hand in fire - are never ever going to test positive under his reign.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

At least McQuaid didn't take selfies...
P2365338D2127811G_px_640_.jpg

Re: Re:

thehog said:
thehog said:
Benotti69 said:
Cookson putting out this kind of crap shows his true colours

https://mobile.twitter.com/dtryn/status/695689515424419840

Top 10 dopers of the sport.........

Armstrong's responses are priceless. I cannot believe how much of a clown Cookson has become.

Priceless. Cookson just hanging out with dopers, living the dream.

5yxpb9.jpg
You guys are criticizing Brian Cookson for taking a selfie with Eddie? Wow, this really is the silly season....

In all seriousness, I don't know how BC would be able to shun EM for something he did over 30 years ago. If he was expected to shun every doper in cycling history he would end up a very, very lonely person. Imo

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
thehog said:
thehog said:
Benotti69 said:
Cookson putting out this kind of crap shows his true colours

https://mobile.twitter.com/dtryn/status/695689515424419840

Top 10 dopers of the sport.........

Armstrong's responses are priceless. I cannot believe how much of a clown Cookson has become.

Priceless. Cookson just hanging out with dopers, living the dream.
You guys are criticizing Brian Cookson for taking a selfie with Eddie? Wow, this really is the silly season....

In all seriousness, I don't know how BC would be able to shun EM for something he did over 30 years ago. If he was expected to shun every doper in cycling history he would end up a very, very lonely person. Imo

No. More so citing the irony of his behaviour as president. He is acting more like a teenager in love than a president with professional skills of diplomacy.

Clearly the Katusha situation was firmly on his mind when he was taking selfies with Eddie the human amphetamine Merckx.