• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Granville57 said:
Big time. If Cookson were to toss Vino and Riis to the side of the road, his critics may have to reevaluate their position a bit.

And judging by Cookson strong stance against JTL, it makes me wonder just how much flak he really deserves.

JTL is British.
He rode for Team Sky.
He won the friggin' Tour of Britain.

How much more "British" could JTL be? (He's certainly more British than Froome.)

If Cookson was dead set on protecting all things under the Queen, I don't think he'd taking such a hard line on JTL. If his critics are willing to accept nothing short of him exposing and expelling Wiggins, they're likely to be mostly disappointed.

I think you have misunderstood the motives behind the critiscism......the critics will bend whichever way suits their agenda........you are spot on with Cookson's actions on JTL.....and yet earlier in this thread (which by way was created by a troll to enable all his little troll friends to troll).....JTL was being spun as a 'victim' being silenced by nasty Cookson who's aim was to silence JTL from speaking about Sky.....despite the fact that the passport test and ALL JTL's performance enhancement came before Sky......its pretty clear Sky stopped him doping.............it would be funny trolling if it wasn't such weak trolling

Mark L

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
I think you have misunderstood the motives behind the critiscism......the critics will bend whichever way suits their agenda........you are spot on with Cookson's actions on JTL.....and yet earlier in this thread (which by way was created by a troll to enable all his little troll friends to troll).....JTL was being spun as a 'victim' being silenced by nasty Cookson who's aim was to silence JTL from speaking about Sky.....despite the fact that the passport test and ALL JTL's performance enhancement came before Sky......its pretty clear Sky stopped him doping.............it would be funny trolling if it wasn't such weak trolling

Mark L

Mark. If you think Cookson is an improvement over McQuaid perhaps you could argue your case? Instead of this constant namecalling. If you try to follow the rules, the forum will be a better place for everyone Mark.

The S.

Skeppy.......I spent a while this weekend arguing against your and Hoggie's mendacious attempt to portray JTL as some sort of victim........you, I and everybody else know that your and Hoggie's argument was comprehensively kicked not just into touch but out of the whole stadium....which is why you had nobody else coming to your defence .....and why both of you stopped when you realised the game was up........its your thread.....you started it.....so it is up to you to prove that Cookson is worse than McQuaid.......not up to me to prove he is better........that you have done such a poor job so far is not my problem.....so don't try and make it my responsibility.......to be frank......you and Hoggie are never going to get very far if you form your arguments backwards........evidence comes first, Skeppy....then conclusion.....and not the other way round

Mark L

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
Skeppy.......I spent a while this weekend arguing against your and Hoggie's mendacious attempt to portray JTL as some sort of victim........you, I and everybody else know that your and Hoggie's argument was comprehensively kicked not just into touch but out of the whole stadium....which is why you had nobody else coming to your defence .....and why both of you stopped when you realised the game was up........its your thread.....you started it.....so it is up to you to prove that Cookson is worse than McQuaid.......not up to me to prove he is better........that you have done such a poor job so far is not my problem.....so don't try and make it my responsibility.......to be frank......you and Hoggie are never going to get very far if you form your arguments backwards........evidence comes first, Skeppy....then conclusion.....and not the other way round

Mark L

Sorry Mark, but you didnt even know how the CIRC worked. You made a fool of yourself then Mark, and then you tried to backtrack by calling everyone trolls. Nevertheless Mark, I will entertain you.

Cookson has made the UCI less transparent, by making information less avaiable and burying doping cases in the depths of the UCI website.

He promised the CADF would become fully independent of the UCI, all that happened was that it moved to a different part of the UCI building. No difference at all. No independence. No transparency.

He promised a minimum wage for pro women cyclists within his first year in office. Later he changed his mind and said "now is not the time"

Could be more that I am forgetting Mark, but you get the picture. Bring back McQuaid.

the sceptic said:
Sorry Mark, but you didnt even know how the CIRC worked. You made a fool of yourself then Mark, and then you tried to backtrack by calling everyone trolls. Nevertheless Mark, I will entertain you.

No Skeppy, I called the trolls trolls....not everybody.........Nor did I make a fool of myself, but thanks for the personal attack........I know very well how the CIRC works.......it wasn't me that suggested that people have to be invited by Cookson to speak to CIRC :rolleyes:

Bring back McQuaid.

That says it all really

Why persist with this childishness?.......you were seen off last weekend.......don't try and keep a lost argument going......its is just tedious for the rest of us.....besides which you PM'd me and told me that you were "due a long ban"......indicating very clearly that you know exactly what game you are playing and what the response of the mods is likely to be......don't involve me in it...thanks

Mark L

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
No Skeppy, I called the trolls trolls....not everybody.........Nor did I make a fool of myself, but thanks for the personal attack........I know very well how the CIRC works.......it wasn't me that suggested that people have to be invited by Cookson to speak to CIRC :rolleyes:

That says it all really

Why persist with this childishness?.......you were seen off last weekend.......don't try and keep a lost argument going......its is just tedious for the rest of us.....besides which you PM'd me and told me that you were "due a long ban"......indicating very clearly that you know exactly what game you are playing and what the response of the mods is likely to be......don't involve me in it...thanks

Mark L

I take it since you ignored the rest of my post you actually agree with it?

Thanks for proving my point.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:

“I thought, somebody’s got to do something to try and change this, to change how the UCI is seen by fans. I love cycling, I’m passionate about it. It was terrible to see the governing body perceived like that. Changes had to be made, so I put my name forward.”

Cookson may have accidentally said the truth there. Its all about PR.

Dear Wiggo said:
Not, "It was terrible to see the corruption and the decay as the governing body rotted from the head down".

Nope. Nothing of the sort. Just "man we looked bad - that's no good, eh?"

Unlike you Cookson isn't speaking from behind an anonymous pseudonym on the internet........you can say what you like and nobody will sue you......he can't

Mark L

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ebandit, I consider calling someone "skeppy" as a way to do the things I alluded to in my PM to you. Please stop. If you can't continue a discussion without resorting to making these kind of posts, then I would suggest removing yourself from the discussion.

Afrank said:
Ebandit, I consider calling someone "skeppy" as a way to do the things I alluded to in my PM to you. Please stop. If you can't continue a discussion without resorting to making these kind of posts, then I would suggest removing yourself from the discussion.

I'm sorry, Afrank, but I have Skeppy's express permission to call him Skeppy...

the sceptic said:
Call me whatever you want Mark, if it makes you feel better.

Mark L

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Cookson may have accidentally said the truth there. Its all about PR.

Well as I've pointed out before we're all quoting Cycling Weekly's selected highlights from the full interview published in Cycle Sport magazine. Another quote from the CW highlights is:

“In any system of justice you have to have a road to redemption of some sort. We can’t reinvent history, but we have to avoid the sport going down that road again. In any walk of life you will get people who try to cheat the system, be they a banker or an accountant or in a sport. What we have to do as an organisation is reduce cheating to a minimum, and deal with it effectively and equitably.”

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Not, "It was terrible to see the corruption and the decay as the governing body rotted from the head down".

Nope. Nothing of the sort. Just "man we looked bad - that's no good, eh?"

Everything is nice and shiny now. A new era at the UCI to go hand in hand with JVs new clean era.

Now we just need all the positive tests to go away, and people can start to dream big again.

Cookson singing the praises of USA cycling tells us what we need to know - singing the praises of a body that covered up USP for a decade and were told about it in 2004...also Brian and JTL has left a lot of people in the sport very annoyed - it sounded a lot like the previous two incumbents.

Afrank said:

Really? Of all the rubbish preceding, this gets your flag?
This isn't a discussion, friend.
It never will be until the cause is addressed, not one of it's symptoms.

Hawkwood said:
Well as I've pointed out before we're all quoting Cycling Weekly's selected highlights from the full interview published in Cycle Sport magazine. Another quote from the CW highlights is:

“In any system of justice you have to have a road to redemption of some sort. We can’t reinvent history, but we have to avoid the sport going down that road again. In any walk of life you will get people who try to cheat the system, be they a banker or an accountant or in a sport. What we have to do as an organisation is reduce cheating to a minimum, and deal with it effectively and equitably.”

....and that is they key part of that interview.......an acceptance that we live in a compromised world........the subtlety of that will be lost on some unfortunately

Mark L

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
....and that is they key part of that interview.......an acceptance that we live in a compromised world........the subtlety of that will be lost on some unfortunately

Mark L

the key to that quote is it is all talk.

Where is the extra funding for extra testing?

Where is the funding to back date test what was in use 5 years ago?

Where is the independence of anit doping?

Why are the UCI still policing the sport?

Cookson talks a decent talk, not great nor bad, but nowt special mind. But if Cookson was truly wanting to clean up the sport, he would be making big changes to anti doping. Instead no change except no more positives announced, but rather try and find them on the website....

Cookson is in to manage the sport better than the last 2 donkeys, he is not here to make it fairer or cleaner or harder for dopers. He has had a year and in those departments he has failed miserably.

TRENDING THREADS