• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Yes Hein. Lance tested positive and then you allowed the UCI rules regarding TUEs to be ignored so that the "rebirth - we are all cleans now - post-Festina" Tour could have a "clean" winner and Lance's doctor forged a TUE for false medication. They googled on the interent that day for the best excuse to put on the form !
In 1999? Heh.

Damn, now I feel old.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
All Hein wants is a proper degree of respect. Like Sepp Blatter, who sensible un-biased commentators have compared favourably to Jesus, Mandela, Luther-King, Churchill and Lincoln.

I'm sure that if Cookson spoke to Hein nicely, and perhaps put him on an even higher pedestal, he might then consider stepping down from his "honorary" position.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Verbruggen used to be head of SportAccord. SportAccord has a conferance or something going on in Sochi. Yesterday Heins successor, Marius Vizer, tried some judo moves on Thomas Bach, forgetting Thomas is an old fencer who can have something pointy to defend himself with. Marius got a bit deflated when international federations like IAAF resigned from SportAccord after his speach, and FIFA and FINA were among those who signed a letter of disagrement with him. Keeping the heads of international federations as honorary members of IOC pays off.
Marius' friend, Vladimir Putin, came by to visit, so he is pumped again today.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...-ioc-president-claims-it-is-business-as-usual

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

neineinei said:
Verbruggen used to be head of SportAccord. SportAccord has a conferance or something going on in Sochi. Yesterday Heins successor, Marius Vizer, tried some judo moves on Thomas Bach, forgetting Thomas is an old fencer who can have something pointy to defend himself with. Marius got a bit deflated when international federations like IAAF resigned from SportAccord after his speach, and FIFA and FINA were among those who signed a letter of disagrement with him. Keeping the heads of international federations as honorary members of IOC pays off.
Marius' friend, Vladimir Putin, came by to visit, so he is pumped again today.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...-ioc-president-claims-it-is-business-as-usual

This is why sport will never be clean. These guys treat it as a legalised mafia.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Astana still in world tour with a doping program....UCI enable doping.......ask yourself how the others can beat Astana with their team doping program. Cookson will not change the doping culture, never had an interest in changing it. He will try to manage the sport by making the doping a non issue like Tennis, Football and other sports where doping is ignored.

Re:

WildspokeJoe said:
Really like Marc Madiot's comments. Said the CIRC was just a huge waste of money. So true. Without any true revelations, it's was just hot air.
Take action Mr. Cookson. Ban Corticoids.

You didn't read the report then.

Some highlights:
Lies and damn lies
Largely written to discredit Verbruggen
UCI hides positives
Doping rages on
Makarov controls a super-block of votes

It's actually a pretty rich document. It's written in such a boring style it hides lots of interesting stuff.

Re: Re:

DirtyWorks said:
WildspokeJoe said:
Really like Marc Madiot's comments. Said the CIRC was just a huge waste of money. So true. Without any true revelations, it's was just hot air.
Take action Mr. Cookson. Ban Corticoids.

You didn't read the report then.

Some highlights:
Lies and damn lies
Largely written to discredit Verbruggen
UCI hides positives
Doping rages on
Makarov controls a super-block of votes

It's actually a pretty rich document. It's written in such a boring style it hides lots of interesting stuff.

Admittedly, I have only read excerpts and it may be laced with lots of things but what has happened?
It discredits Verbruggen - then strip his honorary tittle for starters.
UCI hides positives. I knew that before the report. Everyone knew that.
Doping rages on. Another, um yeah. Knew that too.

Only 1 current rider testified. Really, just one?
How do you not have David Millar speak? He is quoted as saying that not meeting should be blamed on both parties equally? What? That's BS.

Finally, the report states that one rider thinks that 90% of TUEs were used for performance enhancing. Well, then eliminate all TUEs for 2016. That would be real leadership and action.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
35 year old dominates spring classics! A 35year old who served a 2 year ban for EPO blood doping now riding better than before. C'mon Cookson who you trying to con here? The sport has not changed, the dope has and it seems to be even better than EPO!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"I hope to begin a new era of collaboration, openness and transparency in cycling and restore the trust that has been lost in our great sport" - Brian Cookson, June 2013.

Well that has been a major fail then Brian, but then some of us are not surprised.

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
This ISSUL audit thing looks really promising http://inrng.com/2015/04/astana-licence-perception/

I know many think Cookson is balls deep in some conspiracy or other but I do think he is just someone who is slowly and properly trying to reform the sport. This is going to be painfully slow as he inherited a closet full of skeletons, a rule book not fit for purpose and he seems to have a desire to put rules in place that will stand up in court.

This Astana farce really does show the licensing commission is independent, hopefully the anti doping is just as independent now.

I do with he would get better at giving us information though....

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
He's also been on the management committee since 2009. Would be good to see change possible without having to be elected president.

Yep, vaguely remember him wanting to shift power away from the office of President to the committee's.... got a lot on his plate doesn't he?

The only thing I can say of Cookson is that I was with him watching the worlds in Ponferrada, I ask him for a picture and he was very polite, he was standing watching TV, a nordic girl offer him her sit, he denied, and when the cyclist crossed the finish line in every tour, it was raining, and he went out under the rain to see the riders as me. Other VIP people as Indurain were in a place with more confort and eating really good and expensive spanish food. I tried to convince my girlfriend he was "the boss" of cycling, she didnt believe me. He was always like one more. It was more difficult to treat with Vinokourov, who when rider was always one of the riders that better attend the public.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
The only thing I can say of Cookson is that I was with him watching the worlds in Ponferrada, I ask him for a picture and he was very polite, he was standing watching TV, a nordic girl offer him her sit, he denied, and when the cyclist crossed the finish line in every tour, it was raining, and he went out under the rain to see the riders as me. Other VIP people as Indurain were in a place with more confort and eating really good and expensive spanish food. I tried to convince my girlfriend he was "the boss" of cycling, she didnt believe me. He was always like one more. It was more difficult to treat with Vinokourov, who when rider was always one of the riders that better attend the public.

Cool story Bro :confused:

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

spetsa said:
Taxus4a said:

Cool story Bro :confused:

Great post :confused:

58383642.jpg

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Having been in debate with himself (and a few hundred lawyers) for weeks his response to the Astana debacle is this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-defends-the-ucis-handling-of-the-astana-licence-case

UCI president Brian Cookson has hit back at criticism about the way he handled the recent Astana WorldTour licence case by claiming his actions had “a pretty major overhaul within Astana of their processes and procedures”.

Cookson told Cyclingnews last December that the Astana team was ‘drinking the last chance saloon’; when the UCI finally awarded the Kazakhstani team a place in the 2015 WorldTour despite several cases of doping in 2014. However, the UCI lost its battle for the withdrawal of the team’s licence in late April when the UCI Licence Commission ruled against withdrawal during the season, saying that the team had begun to make changes in the way it operated and agreed to adhere strictly to the remedial action recommended by the Institute of Sport Sciences of the University of Lausanne (ISSUL).

"I don't regret what I said because I think that had an impact on the team and they realised how serious the situation was for them," Cookson told the Telegraph newspaper in London after attending the Telegraph Business of Sport conference.

"That caused a pretty major overhaul within Astana of their processes and procedures, and an acceptance that they needed to make that radical overhaul."

Verbuggen’s claims are laughable

Hein Verbruggen attacked Cookson after the publishing of the Cycling Independent Reform Commission (CIRC) report, funded by the UCI.

In a long letter leaked to the media, Verbruggen described the CIRC report as biased and warned he may take legal action after his lawyers read the report in detail. Verbruggen has declined to give up his Honoury UCI President status and suggested that Cookson and his senior management had created a ‘climate of fear’ amongst UCI staff.

Cookson reportedly dismissed Verbruggen claims as laughable.

"I know my people at the UCI. I'm confident that we've got a good, happy and professional workforce and that we've got the processes in place that if people aren't happy or feel intimidated in the way Verbruggen suggests, they would feel comfortable coming to me. I don't recognise the picture of the UCI that he painted in any way, shape or form," Cookson told the Telegraph.

Cookson revealed he has referred the matter to the UCI's Ethics Commission and hoped for action before September's UCI congress. He warned that if Verbruggen had not resigned by then, his honorary presidency might be revoked.

Re:

mrhender said:
Having been in debate with himself (and a few hundred lawyers) for weeks his response to the Astana debacle is this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-defends-the-ucis-handling-of-the-astana-licence-case

UCI president Brian Cookson has hit back at criticism about the way he handled the recent Astana WorldTour licence case by claiming his actions had “a pretty major overhaul within Astana of their processes and procedures”.

"I don't regret what I said because I think that had an impact on the team and they realised how serious the situation was for them," Cookson told the Telegraph newspaper in London after attending the Telegraph Business of Sport conference.

"That caused a pretty major overhaul within Astana of their processes and procedures, and an acceptance that they needed to make that radical overhaul."

I still want to know what set the UCI off. All the tough talk and dusting off the positives...

TRENDING THREADS