• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Craigee said:
Where is the crowd? You know, the people.

They'll be photoshopped in afterwards. :lol:

No ambulances for Ladies TTT and some serious accidents!!!

Hard to see Cookson keep his Presidency after this obvious pocket the money WC

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Madiot obliterated Cookson on French TV. Called him a liar, said that the WT reform is complete **** and nonsense, and that his results at UCI presidency were pretty much zero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01DexoZe78k (french)

UCI are getting desperate. The holding of WC in Doha is just crazy. Speaks of huge amounts of money changing hands.

High temperatures, high humidity and PED misuse! I will be surprised if an athlete doesn't die. I hope this is not the case.......

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

CTQ said:
Qatar was announced as the host during the ( 2012) UCI Road World Championships in the Netherlands and Cookson
have been elected to the post in September (2013) at the 2013 UCI Road World Championships.

Cookson could've changed it. Heck anything is possible it seems in the UCI. They'll believe some riders can have grass allergies to grass that isn't even in the same country as the race!

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
CTQ said:
Qatar was announced as the host during the ( 2012) UCI Road World Championships in the Netherlands and Cookson
have been elected to the post in September (2013) at the 2013 UCI Road World Championships.

Cookson could've changed it. Heck anything is possible it seems in the UCI. They'll believe some riders can have grass allergies to grass that isn't even in the same country as the race!

More to the point Cookson was on the management committee when the decision was made.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Craigee said:

well, maybe this is their vision of the future of cycling: no fans... next time they may try "no journalists" policy (or only well selected parrots)... no inconvenient questions, no curious eyes (btw. all that for safety reasons, obviously)

doperhopper said:
well, maybe this is their vision of the future of cycling: no fans... next time they may try "no journalists" policy (or only well selected parrots)... no inconvenient questions, no curious eyes (btw. all that for safety reasons, obviously)

In-person viewers are not important. Broadcast rights are very important!

The country has a sordid human rights record. Yuck. I guess Verbruggen and the management committee got paid okay!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

doperhopper said:
Benotti69 said:
Craigee said:

no fans = no sponsors.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
Benotti69 said:
no fans = no sponsors.

Awww C'mon Benotti69! This is 2016!!
Fans is all Ethernet-based now. Attendance is over rated! How many viewers tune in? How much interest on social media? How much money will a host put up?

so... shall we expect deserted Ventoux/Mortirolo/Angliru - fans banned, riders safety first... no chicken run, no "dopers" shoutings/writings, no urine bags, so that "leaned out" zero-to-hero champions can do their job

or why not to move it directly to zwift? you can even participate, how fan-friendly!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
Benotti69 said:
no fans = no sponsors.

Awww C'mon Benotti69! This is 2016!!
Fans is all Ethernet-based now. Attendance is over rated! How many viewers tune in? How much interest on social media? How much money will a host put up?

for cycling, it is a diminishing pool.

doperhopper said:
Benotti69 said:
Craigee said:

Don't forget: No police to investigate any possible fraud.

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Nick C. said:

Scanning hundreds of bikes with completely ineffective technology

Backtracking on promise of equal wages for women because 'teams would go under' (try applying this logic to business)

Spreading events across the world that the world couldn't give a sh*t about to chase a few bucks doesn't grow the sport, it simply makes it a laughing stock

Committed to dealing with challenges honestly and transparently by doing so as dishonestly, opaquely and tardily as possible

The list of bullsh*t goes on

The man is utterly delusional and a nasty piece of work to boot - very snide and passive/aggressive is the supposedly genial and mild mannered Mr Cookson

Re:

ontheroad said:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/inventor-of-hidden-motors-accuses-uci-of-blocking-motor-tests-at-2016-tour-de-france/

Right Brian, what have you got to say about this story then. It would have been easy to dismiss it if Varjas didn't have the Lemonds in tow. If this is genuinely going on then pro cycling is just a complete **** show altogether.
The paid interns and re-named Armstrong fans are already back on the "bitter Lemond" bandwagon...

About three years ago I made a post saying that if it weren't for the progress Cookson was promising in respect of women's cycling, I'd probably have preferred McQuaid because it's better the devil you know. Despite the WWT, having now seen the way they're using it to screw over organizers of long-established, prestigious women's stage races, I'm not convinced that even that can defend his run anymore.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
About three years ago I made a post saying that if it weren't for the progress Cookson was promising in respect of women's cycling, I'd probably have preferred McQuaid because it's better the devil you know. Despite the WWT, having now seen the way they're using it to screw over organizers of long-established, prestigious women's stage races, I'm not convinced that even that can defend his run anymore.

I believe he lives in a bubble and is blissfully unaware.

TRENDING THREADS