• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Judging by this, you may be right.

“We have not had any cases of heat exhaustion or heat stroke"

“Obviously this is a part of the world where cycling is not an immediately popular sport, but I think we’ll see a good crowd on Sunday. It is what it is. We’re here."

“There’s a lot of interest in cycling out here."

“I think it’s fair to say that this is a part of the world where interest in our sport is growing. It’s still relatively small in terms of the number of spectators on the roadside but we are here. They are doing a good job for us, they’re promoting the race well, the standard of organisation is high.”

The standard of organization is high? He does remember it took 20 minutes for medical assistance to get to the end of the women's TTT with riders splayed out on the floor in puddles of heat and exertion-induced vomit? He also stresses that "some riders have said some positive things too", as if to concede the majority of opinion has been overwhelmingly negative. Where's Roxane Knetemann's rant when you need it?

At this point he's almost mind-blowingly oblivious to public opinion, literally everything he says on record is digging himself more of a hole. From going awol for a month after the TUE leaks, to the embroiling of an organization that he used to be involved in the management of in a scandal related to a team he used to be on the licencing board of, to then announcing "everything's fine, nothing to see here" in the press, to taking selfies of himself at the start of a race where riders were vomiting and fainting from the heat in a race with more riders than fans, and not very many riders either, to this, it's like he's doubling down on denial, he's not just denying something's rotten about the scandal he's been trying to avoid talking about, he's at the point where he'd deny the sky was blue or water was wet if the press asked him about it. I almost can't believe what I'm reading. Nobody can be that oblivious, surely? Surely he can see that this World Championships is not a raging success? Surely he knows? I know he doesn't want to offend the Qataris while the event is going on but he could at least talk about how they're blazing a trail when it comes to hosting an event of this type in this part of the world so of course there will be teething problems and acclimatization issues but they've worked really hard to make sure the event goes well?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Libertine Seguros said:
About three years ago I made a post saying that if it weren't for the progress Cookson was promising in respect of women's cycling, I'd probably have preferred McQuaid because it's better the devil you know. Despite the WWT, having now seen the way they're using it to screw over organizers of long-established, prestigious women's stage races, I'm not convinced that even that can defend his run anymore.

I believe he lives in a bubble and is blissfully unaware.

I dont. I think he is just greedy and that greed comes before everything and anything.

It appears sporting federation people spend most of their time working on enriching themselves, while the sport continues on around them.

Cookson can lie and smile all the way to the bank. Remember Verbruggen took Kimmage to court and won. I bet that put a spring in the steps of everyone working in sports administration.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
^Bang on. Be it wrt Walsh or wrt Clownson, I don't buy the "they've gone senile" point of view.
I think they know darn well what's going on, and have simply sold out. Greed indeed.

And Libertine again hitting several nails on heads, too.

Re:

sniper said:
^Bang on. Be it wrt Walsh or wrt Clownson, I don't buy the "they've gone senile" point of view.
I think they know darn well what's going on, and have simply sold out. Greed indeed.

Most believe that it's Martin Gibbs who runs the UCI and not Cookson. Cookson is just a head piece that gets thrown in front of he camera now & then. The direction has been to underplay any controversy and promote the hell out of British based races and profit making aspects of the UCI. Cookson lives in free accomodation and spends a lot of his time flying around the world. It's a good life. By having literally no one testing positive anymore they pretend that cycling has cleaned up its act. Cookson is a very weak president but I don't think he really cares, he'll be in IOC within 3 years, career politician.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:

Of course he knows what's going on.

“We have not had any cases of heat exhaustion or heat stroke" - Brian Cookson

http://giphy.com/gifs/13seb9r9qPRUFG

Look at his foot shaking...

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
sniper said:

Most believe that it's Martin Gibbs who runs the UCI and not Cookson. Cookson is just a head piece that gets thrown in front of he camera now & then. The direction has been to underplay any controversy and promote the hell out of British based races and profit making aspects of the UCI. Cookson lives in free accomodation and spends a lot of his time flying around the world. It's a good life. By having literally no one testing positive anymore they pretend that cycling has cleaned up its act. Cookson is a very weak president but I don't think he really cares, he'll be in IOC within 3 years, career politician.

Yep, totally agree, really weak president. As for Gibbs, Verbruggen stated himself that Gibbs is practically in charge and that he has the last word in UCI. And I think old Hein knows this stuff

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Im not entirely sure. As far as I understood, cookson had quite a big hand in shaping the CIRC report, for instance, and I assume he's closely involved with CADF. Or is Gibbs also doing the antidoping?

Re:

sniper said:
Im not entirely sure. As far as I understood, cookson had quite a big hand in shaping the CIRC report, for instance, and I assume he's closely involved with CADF. Or is Gibbs also doing the antidoping?

Anti-doping is otherwise known as marketing. Gibbs is taking care of that side as well, the bike moto checking is an example of the marketing aspect. The UCI is losing money even with Doha. Gibbs wants to keep more money into the UK via events etc. Business is his game. Cookson wants no controversy to make his next step into the IOC.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah, i guess you're right about gibbs.

Prudhomme queried why thermal imaging has not been incorporated into the UCI's existing testing process. He said that he had raised the topic with Barfield when he met with him during last week’s Critérium du Dauphiné.

“I said to him that even if he didn’t believe in thermal imaging, it should be used because no method is infallible and you should use every available methodology at your disposal to find cheats,” Prudhomme said.

“He said he thought it was a good idea because he wanted to show that thermal cameras don’t work. But he needed to speak to his superior, Martin Gibbs the director general of the UCI."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prudhomme-calls-for-independent-body-to-deal-with-mechanical-doping/
cookson really is a puppet.

Re:

sniper said:
yeah, i guess you're right about gibbs.

Prudhomme queried why thermal imaging has not been incorporated into the UCI's existing testing process. He said that he had raised the topic with Barfield when he met with him during last week’s Critérium du Dauphiné.

“I said to him that even if he didn’t believe in thermal imaging, it should be used because no method is infallible and you should use every available methodology at your disposal to find cheats,” Prudhomme said.

“He said he thought it was a good idea because he wanted to show that thermal cameras don’t work. But he needed to speak to his superior, Martin Gibbs the director general of the UCI."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prudhomme-calls-for-independent-body-to-deal-with-mechanical-doping/
cookson really is a puppet.

Exactly.

The key concern with Gibbs is he is unelected. He's just there to pump the business side and tell Cookson what to do.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Any belief that the top level of cycling is completely clean is a delusion, and another Armstrong-scale doping ring is an existential threat. Cycling’s biggest problem is that nobody watches cycling (just look at the incredible sponsorship turnover over the past few years and the UCI getting in bed with increasingly shady people in an effort to dowse whatever quarries are left to mine.)

http://deadspin.com/trusting-anyone-in-cycling-is-a-losers-game-1787243451?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ahem...

Spit in the soup ‏@Spitinthesoup 22 hours ago

Under Pat McQuaid the UCI published the Tour de France test results in AUGUST.

It's NOVEMBER: still nothing.

The sport was broken under McQuaid, it takes some doing to make it worse...

Re:

Benotti69 said:
ahem...

Spit in the soup ‏@Spitinthesoup 22 hours ago

Under Pat McQuaid the UCI published the Tour de France test results in AUGUST.

It's NOVEMBER: still nothing.

The sport was broken under McQuaid, it takes some doing to make it worse...
Sorry for the delay. Full list of Adverse Analytical Findings below:

-

With a view to improving efficiency of reporting, I'll be publishing next year's results next month

Cookson is a joker. Very weak leader who has done nothing but absolve himself of any responsibility for policing the sport properly. He had an opportunity to do something given the cloud that hung over the sport when he took over after the reasoned decision. I would argue that he has done nothing to protect clean riders ability to compete fairly and his connections with BC and sky are not befitting of a sport that needs to be policed independently given its chequered history.

Re:

ontheroad said:
Cookson is a joker. Very weak leader who has done nothing but absolve himself of any responsibility for policing the sport properly. He had an opportunity to do something given the cloud that hung over the sport when he took over after the reasoned decision. I would argue that he has done nothing to protect clean riders ability to compete fairly and his connections with BC and sky are not befitting of a sport that needs to be policed independently given its chequered history.

Irrespective of all the jiffy bag shenanigans, it's clear that the whole sport is a total joke when it comes to independent oversight. Cookson's son at Sky then DD; his riding around in team kit; misappropriation of staff; demonstrable failure to apply internal policies. Journos haven't offered much either, apart from a few noble exceptions. I mean, taking freebies and writing autobiographies and embedding themselves so far up the teams' fundament and not realising it compromised them??. Christ, it's been so glaringly obvious they know jack-*** about governance that it'd be difficult to understand how Sky / BC / UKAD / UCI etc. have got away with it so long were it not for the fact that the whole damn sport is so rotten that this stuff isn't even surprising

Re:

ontheroad said:

Have to agree, Cookson is good for a selfie or two but when it comes to the real issues he is hopelessly out of his depth. He fluffed the CiRC report, he ignored all the aspect with regards to cortisone and the skinniness of riders and then all of that reared its ugly head with Sky & Wiggins. Since the Sky stories broke he is basically gone into hiding. He has no backbone, fingers in the ears telling everyone Cycling has cleaned up its act. What a flop he has been.

Re:

sniper said:

The majority of the content makes it clear it was funded to kick Hein out. In the end, the UCI management committee did nothing. Maybe Hein pays well?

Does anyone know if he's involved in the UCI's daily business?

TRENDING THREADS