• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Coolest Names in the Peloton*

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
That's true of essentially any language. Even a few of the big stars like Alberto Accountant or Richie Doors.
Not necessarily. I can't think of many Polish riders whose names you could translate literally (Niemiec is perhaps the only one familliar for average cycling fan). You could tell from which words some of them are coming from (Kwiatkowski from "kwiat"- flower, WIśniowski from "wiśnia"- cherry) but they are not build exactly from words you could find in dictionary. "Owski" on it's own doesn't mean anything. I have the impression that names capable of being translated literally are more common in Dutch than in Polish.

One more name that sounds funny in Polish is Rudy Kowalski (http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/Rudy_Kowalski). Kowalski is a name of a stereotypical Pole (2nd most common last name in Poland) and "rudy" means "red haired".

Re: Re:

"-Owski" is just two common Slavic suffixes, both of which mean roughly "related to" or "having the characteristics of". They were typically used in nicknames and patronymics before becoming standardized and fossilized in modern surnames, especially in Poland. I imagine "Kwiatkowski" is kwiatek, a diminutive of"flower" + these standard suffixes, hence roughly "the (Li'l) Flower Guy". Should be relatively transparent, but I might be completely wrong, as I don't really know anything about Polish.

As for "Contador", in Spain it doesn't mean "Accountant", only "Counter".

Re: Coolest Names in the Peloton

Hmn of course: Alaberto Contaverde, the ultimate warrior.

Here is the clip where it all happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yIapnxHr8

Notice how Goku Contador and Vegeta Valverde finally let aside their differences to unite themselves to save planet cycling from Alien Chris Buu-me.

Jokes aside, it would've been great if they had been able to work plans together in the past instead of cancelling each other. What great potential afternoons have we missed.

Crescenzo d'Amore

damorearrivo.JPG

Game over

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
It's rather obscure, but If you're from South Tyrol or Tirol in general then Max Walscheid sounds really odd.
The reason for it? Walsch is a derogatory term for Italians and things that come from Italy that is commonly used around here and Eid means oath in German.

TRENDING THREADS