• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Coolest Names in the Peloton*

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the middle of Limburg there are also 'dijken' or dykes, to protect from the rivers. There have been some large floods in the past which is why we need them, even in the middle of Limburg :)
I think as a person who is born, raised and living in exactly the middle of Limburg, I'd know

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
RedheadDane said:
But does the town have a dijk?
Or are/were the Dutch as ridiculous when it comes to naming towns? I mean, don't tell me the town is in the middle of the frikkin' Limburg province!
Well, Sint-Maartensdijk is in Zeeland and pretty close to the sea, so the answer is probably "yes". But if you found a town with a name in -dijk that was pretty far inland, it would probably be either because the shoreline has changed, or because the -dijk element somehow retained its more generic sense of "earthwork, ditch".
You'll find "dijken" across the whole country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05LcPjQv_Is
Watch this video to see what would happen if they were all gone, even in Limburg :D

RedheadDane said:
Then there's Fabio Jakobsen; first name sounds Italian, surname sounds Danish, guy is Dutch - go figure!

Also, according to Chris Anker Sørensen Pierre-Luc Perichon is the best French name ever.

The names you come across when checking start lists; Daan Van Sintmaartensdijk! Hmm... does "dijk" mean "dike"? Would make sense to have it a part of a Dutch name (like Ellen Van Dijk).
Fabio Jakobsen was actually named after Fabio Casartelli. And Jakobsen basically means son of Jakob (biblical name, James in English). The tradition of using -sen in the last name to denote being a son of is also very common in the Netherlands :)

Re: Re:

wouterkaas said:
Fabio Jakobsen was actually named after Fabio Casartelli. And Jakobsen basically means son of Jakob (biblical name, James in English). The tradition of using -sen in the last name to denote being a son of is also very common in the Netherlands :)

That's nice.
And of course his surname would be 'Jakobsen' if it's the surname of his parents. I know what the 'sen' part means, just thought it was more a Scandinavian way of making surnames.

RedheadDane said:
Armchair cyclist said:
RedheadDane said:
Realised something; Asgreen has a pretty unfortunate name if you pronounce it in English...

As green as grass, nothing unfortunate in that.

More the first part if you, you know, put the stress a bit wrong…

Yeah, then you're not really pronouncing it in English ;)

Besides, nothing unfortunate about an alternative name for a donkey in English: I think you are confusing it with American. :D

Armchair cyclist said:
RedheadDane said:
Realised something; Asgreen has a pretty unfortunate name if you pronounce it in English...

As green as grass, nothing unfortunate in that.
I hope that was a joke. if not then i really admire your pure heart.

RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:
Roku said:
I find the name "Barnabas Peak" quite funny. It reminds me to a biblical name (Barrabas)
This is one of my favorites as well

Does he peak all the time?
And your heart is definitely not pure ;)

I actually recognize there's a name "Barnaba(s)". Maybe it does have biblical/hebrew origins.

VARIANT: Barnaby (English)
DIMINUTIVE: Barney (English)
DAFQ!? Ok, then i actually recognize at least two Barnabas. All of them are thematically tied to the dinosaur era.

railxmig said:
RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:
Roku said:
I find the name "Barnabas Peak" quite funny. It reminds me to a biblical name (Barrabas)
This is one of my favorites as well

Does he peak all the time?
And your heart is definitely not pure ;)

I was talking about "peaking in performance."
No, no. No! Not that kind of performance!

My favourite, as has been mentioned once on this thread, is Taco Van Der Hoorn. But also pretty good, and not mentioned that I noticed, is Pozzovivo, which (if memory serves - I can't find the article I read this in years ago) was changed from Puzzovivo, which translates roughly to 'living stench'.

skidmark said:
My favourite, as has been mentioned once on this thread, is Taco Van Der Hoorn. But also pretty good, and not mentioned that I noticed, is Pozzovivo, which (if memory serves - I can't find the article I read this in years ago) was changed from Puzzovivo, which translates roughly to 'living stench'.

Yes, I also heard that (terrible name by the way).

Now, as far as I know, his name means living well (as in a well that is alive, not a good way of living).

TRENDING THREADS