• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The handling of the corona epidemic in the US may well be another example of how incredible polarized and politicized even things such as this - where a united effort seems paramount - are becoming. I find it insane that people would for example decide on face mask obligations based on political ideals, not based on medical science.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
US is @107:100,000 tested overall. The federal officials say exposure is probably @7-8 % of the population..that means that @92% of America has yet to be exposed. Huge swaths of misunderstanding within the US..everywhere you look,young people are following an AIDS epidemic repeat. As in the earliest days of the AIDS crisis there were strong health recommendations that went unheeded.
because of myopic lifestyle observations, younger Americans don't observe many in their peer group being effected by Covid ..and that looks like it may hold true for the immediate future. The immediate future also looks like persons asymptomatic will unknowingly spread the virus. So far travel data and cell phone movement data show an increase in movement nationwide.
Gasoline consumption is also rising. In San Diego the roadways are nearing pre virus traffic levels..
I personally cannot see the Covid 19 infection rates going down in the areas that I am familiar with..that includes Northern Baja California..in S.California @50-60% of people I observe are wearing masks and practicing social distancing..In Tecate,and Ensenada I would say less than @20% are wearing masks..lower % still of good social distancing..and less again for washing hands and surfaces after multiple person contact..
The numbers of dead,infected and hospitalization in Mexico are grossly inadequate and underreported.

Reactions: jmdirt
The handling of the corona epidemic in the US may well be another example of how incredible polarized and politicized even things such as this - where a united effort seems paramount - are becoming. I find it insane that people would for example decide on face mask obligations based on political ideals, not based on medical science.

To outsiders like myself the USA seems to be in a permanent state of indecision at the moment and it's hard to watch even from a distance.......................

Last edited:
Either the situation gets so bad that even the most recalcitrant anti-science folks in the US have to bite the bullet and tackle the problem properly, or the US becomes this weird plague pariah largely isolated from the rest of the world until there's a vaccine. I think the former possibility is more likely but who can tell, right.

To outsiders like myself the USA seems to be in a permanent state of indecision at the moment and it's hard to watch even from a distance.......................
It is like the insect in Kafka's tale. A complete inability to adapt, or even admit, that life has changed.
Either the situation gets so bad that even the most recalcitrant anti-science folks in the US have to bite the bullet and tackle the problem properly, or the US becomes this weird plague pariah largely isolated from the rest of the world until there's a vaccine. I think the former possibility is more likely but who can tell, right.
I tend to disagree. Right now the fact that therapeutics are starting to roll out has stiffened the resolve to plunge forward with the disjointed strategy that we are doing now. Expect more half measures in the worst hit places, but proper tackling of the problem is not something I would expect. Bumbling toward a vaccine, hoping one is effective is going to be what the next 6-12 months will look like.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Apparently it's gotten so bad in the Lone Star state "It's absolutely horrifying:"

The ball is in Abbott's court - what does he do now? So far, he's only closed the bars. Does he rollback to a full stay-at-home order shutting down all businesses including gyms, restaurants, movie theaters, churches, etc? What about the beaches? (Padre Island National Seashore was jampacked over the weekend). And if there's a full lockdown will there be compliance or revolt? (many Texans weren't too happy with the shutdown to begin with).

Also, I saw a report from one of the Houston-area hospitals that's treating a high number of new patients, many of them under 50. The chief physician interviewed there, who's considered the hospital's coronavirus expert, said he's never seen anything like this in terms of how difficult it is in effectively treating the wide variety of symptoms. He said the way he treated coronavirus patients 4 months ago is much different than the way he treated patients 2 months ago, and different again this time around. He says the characteristics of the virus seem to changing all the time and he's learning something new every day. Mind-boggling on how much the medical experts don't know about this virus!

Last edited:

It's highly annoying living it. And it's going to be even more annoying if not worse when we move which is going to be a bit of a disaster anyway. Husband is working a different city that I'm in currently and there's a good likelihood of him getting a transfer to another city (but one we both would much prefer to be living in). However, that means moving his stuff very soon and then getting this house up for sale and sold before I can move. The really hard part is cost of living is much higher where we would prefer to be living. This is why renting is much simpler than having bought a house. (Sorry for minor rant).

I tend to disagree. Right now the fact that therapeutics are starting to roll out has stiffened the resolve to plunge forward with the disjointed strategy that we are doing now. Expect more half measures in the worst hit places, but proper tackling of the problem is not something I would expect. Bumbling toward a vaccine, hoping one is effective is going to be what the next 6-12 months will look like.

I tend to agree with this. With therapeutics starting to show up and work, the US is going to continue this weird attempt at whatever we're trying to do. Gilead is working on a nasal spray version of Remdesivir to start trials in late summer and Regeneron has already started their lab created antibiotic treatment and said early results should start coming in in mid to late July.

Reactions: movingtarget
Nice one.

On another note, Gilead has struck gold. I don't believe this drug makes any significant difference, in order to have some effect it has to be administered in the early stages of infection which will never happen (maybe only for the rich, well connected people... and for the next 3 months exclusively in the US).

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/4...an-help-fight-coronavirus-can-patients-get-it

In the end it's every infected individual's capacity to fight off the virus on his own.

On another note, Gilead has struck gold. I don't believe this drug makes any significant difference, in order to have some effect it has to be administered in the early stages of infection which will never happen (maybe only for the rich, well connected people... and for the next 3 months exclusively in the US).

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/4...an-help-fight-coronavirus-can-patients-get-it

In the end it's every infected individual's capacity to fight off the virus on his own.

It helps reduce hospital stays by 5 days for those who receive it. That is not receiving it in early stages. No one will ever get it in early stages as it currently is because it's a drip. That is why they are developing a nasal spray which won't go into testing until August.

So many college football players (U.S.) have tested positive, that some people are seriously asking if they should all try to get infected, so they can develop herd immunity just within the team. Teams are suggesting there's a competitive advantage in players testing positive now, so they won't have to worry about testing positive and sitting out during the season.

The consensus view: this is a bad idea.

https://sports.yahoo.com/should-tea...-immunity-from-the-coronavirus-234449908.html

• Wow
It helps reduce hospital stays by 5 days for those who receive it. That is not receiving it in early stages. No one will ever get it in early stages as it currently is because it's a drip. That is why they are developing a nasal spray which won't go into testing until August.

I have previously posted that in parts of Asia this drug in combination with other drugs is being used on patients who are in the early stages of suffering symptoms - Look at total number of infections VS deaths in Asia which suggests these medical interventions are working.

So many college football players (U.S.) have tested positive, that some people are seriously asking if they should all try to get infected, so they can develop herd immunity just within the team. Teams are suggesting there's a competitive advantage in players testing positive now, so they won't have to worry about testing positive and sitting out during the season.

The consensus view: this is a bad idea.

https://sports.yahoo.com/should-tea...-immunity-from-the-coronavirus-234449908.html
Good lord..... I guess Clemson is pioneering this strategy by the numbers. I hope they tell the virus not to infect the coaches. I read one from Clemson was self isolating from his wife (who was a cancer survivor) for the duration of the season to prevent from bringing the virus home. Whether this is profoundly depressing or uplifting depends on the POV.
Because there are no hotspots elsewhere in the world right now?
If we let medication and vaccine availability be decided on a market and political basis, then we will see very ugly scenes.
It was my understanding that the worst hotspots outside of the USA would be able to get the generic. Or in a situation where they won't admit they need it. Europe has fewer daily cases now than Florida, so buying 90% of the drug supply line seems in line with the situation on the ground. It would be bad to horde any drug, my point is that it will be used here because we are going to need it immediately. The allotment probably won't even meet the demand. The precedent is bad, that I agree.

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/05/22/gilead-remdesivir-covid19-coronavirus-beximco-patent/

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Reactions: Koronin
Some news from Pfizer on their vaccine. Ignore the stock part of the article. There is some actual information on the vaccine in the article. It appears the two lower doses they are testing having people getting it creating antibodies which are higher than the number of antibodies that recovered covid patients have. This is numbers 28 days after the the doses are given.

I think I laughed too hard after reading a herd immunity strategy 1 locker room at a time..I also squirted when I saw top American law makers do an..it's about your face,about face,faceplant..suddenly endorsing that face masks are useful..
S.Cal and Northern Baja Mexico are all doing an anti celebration for the 4th of July..California closing lots of places..bars for 20 days..lots of beaches..all state beach parking lots..lots of parks..restaurants that serve liquor need to close by 10pm.
Mexico restarting southbound check points..doing public service announcements..in US and Mexico warning not to attempt traveling South for the American holiday. I have also listened to the messages about what will be accepted as valid proof of residency identification..let's say I am nervous..
I normally just ask them to conclude that I am too smart to only bring dirty laundry on a vacation..I also ask them to conclude that I would not be bringing cat and dog food on a motorcycle for a long weekend..it has always worked before..but almost every thing worked before Covid 19..
So the holiday weekend looks like an interstate NASCAR event..people coming from Arizona to avoid problems there..right leaning folks going to Arizona to enjoy the "at the river" lifestyle and people in slightly North Southern California going to points South because the beaches in their area are closed..people w no beach thinking anything goes in Mexico..which was partially true before Covid..
I don't know what you call cabin fever, mixed with 4th of July weekend and Corona virus and millions of Corona beer drinkers..but something tells me that this isn't going to end well....
I don't think people are prepared to go in any direction other than virus free forward..

• Wow
This is kind of old news, but I hadn't heard of it till now, and I'm quite sure that most others haven't, either. It seems that the CDC has been, or was, mixing PCR virus tests with antibody tests in their reported numbers for some states. This is a huge f-ck-up, because they test very different things, and if they're conflated, neither one becomes reliable. The PCR test tells us who is infected right now, and is supposed to be the source for all listed confirmed cases. The antibody test tells us who may have been infected in the past.

One problem with conflating them is that the confirmed tests are inflated, since far more people have been infected than get tested by PCR, and even worse, most of these are past infections, which means that current infections are in effect being double-counted to some extent. At least some of the people who have tested positive for antibodies will also have tested positive for the virus, so both tests enter the records, though they really refer to just one individual.

Another problem is that since most people who are tested for antibodies are not considered at risk, adding these data will reduce the positivity rate, or % of tests that are positive. Back when this problem was first reported, 15-20% of virus tests in the U.S. were reported to be positive. But if a large fraction of those tests were for antibodies, which at that time would typically be 5% positive, the result would be greatly underestimating the proportion of people who were actually testing positive right then. The real number would be much higher than 15-20%.

Since this is from an article published more than a month ago, i assume the problem has been addressed. But it has implications for our current situation. If some states had been underestimating the proportion of people testing positive in the past, then these states were even less ready to be re-opened than was thought.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

I first learned about his from this current article:

https://justthenews.com/politics-po...ronavirus-data-punishes-testing#digital-diary

But the author doesn't really understand the situation. First, he seems to assume that the conflation of virus and antibody tests are continuing, which I'm pretty sure is not the case. Second, he argues that all these antibody positives and double counting are responsible for the surge in cases now being reported in many states. But even if that were the case--that the results of the two tests are still being mixed--that wouldn't be good news, because it would mean the positivity rate, which is very high in some states, is being greatly underestimated. In fact, this would completely undercut his first claim, that we're testing at a much higher rate now. If many of these tests were for antibodies, it would mean we're actually not testing at a higher rate.

There are other problems with this article. His main point is that Europe in unfairly blocking travel from the U.S. Like some other authors, he argues that the death rate of several major European countries is higher than that in the U.S. But in the first place, that doesn't really matter. Europe is not restricting travel from the U.S. because it's afraid that visitors will die over there. It's doing it because visitors will bring infections over there and spread them, at which point the death rate in the U.S. will be totally irrelevant.

The second problem is that all the European countries with a higher death rate than the U.S., except Sweden, have a much higher population density (3-10 times) than the U.S. As I've pointed out here before, population density is highly correlated with case rates and death rates. Sweden, the exception, is one of the few countries in the world that never had a lockdown, and it's clear that this failure in policy has contributed greatly to its deaths.

The death rate is a bit of a red herring. Most of it was baked in by the initial upswing that hit just about every country due to a combination of inattention and arrogance. That was a March and April story. The reason why the EU is preventing travel from the USA now is about the current prevalence spikes in June. Apples and oranges. Tourists are a special breed of traveler who typically have the intention of visiting many different locales and interacting with numerous people, especially when traveling in Europe. That is a recipe for super spreading events. I don't fault any country for limiting travel to curtail this activity. Of course, an enterprising country might want to offer a waiver for a recent negative test or provide a rapid test on arrival to try to recoup some of that tourist $$$. A negative result within 72 hr is a requirement for travel to Tahiti once it starts up in July.

The rhetoric that "it will go away" is just so silly (obviously I'm being polite using silly). Has influenza, cold, etc virus... gone away? C19 is with us now so the question moving forward is what that will look like in a month, three months, six months, next July.

The rhetoric that "it will go away" is just so silly (obviously I'm being polite using silly). Has influenza, cold, etc virus... gone away? C19 is with us now so the question moving forward is what that will look like in a month, three months, six months, next July.
Is what we're seeing now a 2nd wave or a continuation of the first wave? Could this virus have mutated with much more younger people now getting sick to the point of requiring hospitalization with some in ICUs?

It's looking like March all over again with some states heading right into lockdown mode (Arizona, California & Texas have made some bold moves).

This is insane and we haven't even reached the fall yet when the anticipated 2nd wave is supposed to hit. :oops:

• Wow
Is what we're seeing now a 2nd wave or a continuation of the first wave? Could this virus have mutated with much more younger people now getting sick to the point of requiring hospitalization with some in ICUs?

It's looking like March all over again with some states heading right into lockdown mode (Arizona, California & Texas have made some bold moves).

This is insane and we haven't even reached the fall yet when the anticipated 2nd wave is supposed to hit. :oops:

Locally most folks wear masks, as required by certain retailers in what retail is open. There are still the defiant ones that go to Home Depot with an expression of irritation that anyone else wears covering. Then there are the more creative opponents that have Exemption cards....allegedly issued by health professionals that claim the card bearer has a health issue. The weird, polarized attitudes here definitely speak to the core of an American problem that is more than C19.

Was there a break? I'd say it still just C19 rolling along. I don't think much mutation has been identified.

Reactions: Cookster15