• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 234 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are news reports locally that your Civic test results status may become a requirement to cross borders into the US. I typically cross from Mexico into the US on Monday morning and return from the US on late Wednesday, but most often Thursday afternoon after work. I have been getting lots of Covid tests because of there necessity to go to doctors appointments. Most clinic visits require a negative test within 72 hours of the appointment.
so I have negative tests but it's still an open question about my ability to come and go without restriction. As a rule US citizens have a right to return, so I anticipate changes but not complications. On a motorcycle I go to the front of the line, asked standard questions about citizenship,anything to declare and very rarely they look through the panniers and top case luggage. Never taking more than 10 minutes for the most extensive search.
I can see the Canadian and Mexico border crossings being clogged up if an additional important question and verification of documents needing to take place.
Also the Mexican President is currently in quarantine. Amlo as he is known by, said that protection from the virus was mostly spiritual..he famously said that if you are honest and don't steal from people you will be fine..well he got the virus,so what are we to make of that?
His quotes via old videos are being played on TV w lots of chuckling

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
It is disaster but could be still helpfull if it have enough eficaccy for young healthy people. If they approve it for under 45 or something like that I would personally get it in february rather than wait for Pfizer or Moderna in late summer.
Nobody seems to know where this 8% number is coming from. Possibly it's a (gross) error where they use the percentage of participants >55 or >65 in the trial. That said, it's clear AstraZeneca seriously messed up their design.

By the way, AstraZeneca intends to cut deliveries to the EU by more than 50% in the first trimester, while deliveries to the UK aren't impacted. How's that even possible? The EU, who already paid >300 million euros to ensure higher production is - obviously - not amused. The vaccine is produced (mostly?) in Belgium for the European zone, so they could threaten to close borders for export.

There are news reports locally that your Civic test results status may become a requirement to cross borders into the US. I typically cross from Mexico into the US on Monday morning and return from the US on late Wednesday, but most often Thursday afternoon after work. I have been getting lots of Covid tests because of there necessity to go to doctors appointments. Most clinic visits require a negative test within 72 hours of the appointment.
so I have negative tests but it's still an open question about my ability to come and go without restriction. As a rule US citizens have a right to return, so I anticipate changes but not complications. On a motorcycle I go to the front of the line, asked standard questions about citizenship,anything to declare and very rarely they look through the panniers and top case luggage. Never taking more than 10 minutes for the most extensive search.
I can see the Canadian and Mexico border crossings being clogged up if an additional important question and verification of documents needing to take place.
Also the Mexican President is currently in quarantine. Amlo as he is known by, said that protection from the virus was mostly spiritual..he famously said that if you are honest and don't steal from people you will be fine..well he got the virus,so what are we to make of that?
His quotes via old videos are being played on TV w lots of chuckling
Yeah, Canadian border is closed except for anyone with work credentials. Not likely to open in next 2 months....

Nobody seems to know where this 8% number is coming from. Possibly it's a (gross) error where they use the percentage of participants >55 or >65 in the trial. That said, it's clear AstraZeneca seriously messed up their design.

By the way, AstraZeneca intends to cut deliveries to the EU by more than 50% in the first trimester, while deliveries to the UK aren't impacted. How's that even possible? The EU, who already paid >300 million euros to ensure higher production is - obviously - not amused. The vaccine is produced (mostly?) in Belgium for the European zone, so they could threaten to close borders for export.

It is unfair they should cut UK deliveries proportionally. With Pfizer cutting deliveries herd imunnity is far down the road. :confused:

By the way Slovakia did screening testing again. I am curious if it will help this time. Counties where was voluntary AG testing last weeks are better. But this results are completely different from 7D incidency reported by some analyst. Number of hospitalizations and deaths is also unusaly high. Probably we had way more cases at the end of the year than we reported. But hospitalizations should be decrease already and it increased slightly last days. It doesnt match reported case at all even with delay :confused:

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
It is disaster but could be still helpfull if it have enough eficaccy for young healthy people. If they approve it for under 45 or something like that I would personally get it in february rather than wait for Pfizer or Moderna in late summer.

Hopefully we'll have the Johnson & Johnson one soon. Hoping for a data release from them this week.

As for the AstraZeneca one, at this point with more and more that keeps being not good information for it, there is no way I'll take it even if the FDA actually approves it.

I hope this question doesn't get me in trouble, but I'd love an answer from someone in the medical field or who knows enough about it. How exactly does the Defense Production Act help increase production of a vaccine. Vaccines/medicines need to be manufactured in sterile lab settings. This isn't like having the auto industry manufacture tanks or planes. It's not like we can really afford to reduce production of other medications that are needed by people.

New developments:

Who was responsible for the trial design at AstraZeneca? Also, the UK is heavily reliant on it and have mostly used this to vaccinate their elderly. I'm happy the EU took a bit more time to look at the numbers. The new US trial should be very informative, but the due date for results is unclear.

Hopefully we'll have the Johnson & Johnson one soon. Hoping for a data release from them this week.

As for the AstraZeneca one, at this point with more and more that keeps being not good information for it, there is no way I'll take it even if the FDA actually approves it.

I hope this question doesn't get me in trouble, but I'd love an answer from someone in the medical field or who knows enough about it. How exactly does the Defense Production Act help increase production of a vaccine. Vaccines/medicines need to be manufactured in sterile lab settings. This isn't like having the auto industry manufacture tanks or planes. It's not like we can really afford to reduce production of other medications that are needed by people.
It seems like J&J are holding the efficacy results back until they can release it with the safety data. That is a departure from what had been done before, but considering the state of their manufacturing, there is no real need to rush. But I can almost guarantee that they know that it works. The question is how much more effective the two dose is vs the single dose.

Pfizer had been concerned with the availability of lipids to make their nanoparticles. A DPA could guarantee the supply of raw materials to speed up their production. It has been mentioned here in the forum about the good needles that can get extra doses out of the vials and are in very short supply. A DPA could boost production of those. It is not clear if any of that will be done, but there are some possibilities.

Under DPA they can make more of the things other than the vaccine itself. Needles, and 'base' ingredients come to mind.

EDIT: sorry dj already answer this!

Reactions: Koronin
It seems like J&J are holding the efficacy results back until they can release it with the safety data. That is a departure from what had been done before, but considering the state of their manufacturing, there is no real need to rush. But I can almost guarantee that they know that it works. The question is how much more effective the two dose is vs the single dose.

Pfizer had been concerned with the availability of lipids to make their nanoparticles. A DPA could guarantee the supply of raw materials to speed up their production. It has been mentioned here in the forum about the good needles that can get extra doses out of the vials and are in very short supply. A DPA could boost production of those. It is not clear if any of that will be done, but there are some possibilities.

I saw in investment news that Pfizer had closed their Belgian plant to update and increase production. They were predicted to be shuttered for 4 weeks so that doesn't help current shortfalls.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
"Norway Raises Concern Over Vaccine Over Vaccine Jabs for the Elderly:"

"Norway expressed increasing concern about the safety of the Pfizer Inc. vaccine on elderly people with serious underlying health conditions after raising an estimate of the number who died after receiving inoculations to 29."

"The latest figure adds six to the number of known fatalities in Norway, and lowers the age group thought to be affected to 75 from 80. While it’s unclear exactly when the deaths occurred, Norway has given at least one dose to about 42,000 people and focused on those considered most at risk if they contract the virus, including the elderly."

"Caution needed in using mRNA-based vaccines to prevent unknown risks including death."

"A Beijing-based immunologist, who requested anonymity, told the Global Times on Monday that some components in mRNA vaccines, such as polyethylene glycol (PEG), have not been used in vaccine production before, and it is no surprise to see allergic reactions in some people. The liposome physical properties of the vaccine also carry the risk of causing abnormal immune function disorders."

"Unlike inactivated vaccines, the large-scale use of mRNA vaccines carries the risk of causing abnormal immune dysfunction, allergy or even death especially among the elderly and people with underlying diseases, the Chinese immunologist said, while some observers call for more investigation over the death before drawing a conclusion that mRNA vaccines are unsafe."

"He called on suspension of the use of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines on the elderly and people with underlying diseases, as this new technology has not proven to be safe in large-scale use"

So, the group that needs the vaccine the most is now a major safety concern. This is the group that has the highest risk of dying from Covid, where there was so much outcry & anger that this group must be saved. But now there's little public outcry about the safety issues of the vaccines. It wasn't okay that the elderly were dying from Covid but it's okay that they can die from the vaccines. Go figure. Lol.

Reactions: yaco
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1354108781974745090

Just when you thought you had heard everything on the desperate measures to vaccinate everyone:

Nursing homes offering $750.00 through the CARES Act to employees who get vaccinated. A Houston hospital offering a $500.00 "hope bonus" for workers who accept the vaccine. The NFL offering free SB tickets to 7500 healthcare workers that received the vaccine. Even Andrew Yang endorses the idea of a $1500.00 payout to any American who gets vaccinated.

Bribery, coercion, extortion, etc., as the Oligarchs seem hell bent on pressuring employees to get the jab. Whatever happen to informed consent where those who want the vaccine can have it and those who don't can be left alone and respected for their decision. You'd think this was an apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, wipe out humanity type of virus the way these employers are acting. Lol.

"Caution needed in using mRNA-based vaccines to prevent unknown risks including death."

"A Beijing-based immunologist, who requested anonymity, told the Global Times on Monday that some components in mRNA vaccines, such as polyethylene glycol (PEG), have not been used in vaccine production before, and it is no surprise to see allergic reactions in some people. The liposome physical properties of the vaccine also carry the risk of causing abnormal immune function disorders."

"Unlike inactivated vaccines, the large-scale use of mRNA vaccines carries the risk of causing abnormal immune dysfunction, allergy or even death especially among the elderly and people with underlying diseases, the Chinese immunologist said, while some observers call for more investigation over the death before drawing a conclusion that mRNA vaccines are unsafe."

"He called on suspension of the use of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines on the elderly and people with underlying diseases, as this new technology has not proven to be safe in large-scale use"

So, the group that needs the vaccine the most is now a major safety concern. This is the group that has the highest risk of dying from Covid, where there was so much outcry & anger that this group must be saved. But now there's little public outcry about the safety issues of the vaccines. It wasn't okay that the elderly were dying from Covid but it's okay that they can die from the vaccines. Go figure. Lol.
So, the publication from China quotes an anonymous Chinese doctor claiming that the US/EU vaccines are much less safe than the vaccine made by.... China. Brilliant.

View: https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1354463289762316289

I don't know how much more large scale use you can get than 1.6m doses a day and the mRNA vaccines have been shown to be safe. That doesn't mean that no one has adverse effects, but these are safe vaccines by any standard definition. That is why there is little outcry, Nomad. PEG is in a ton of stuff already, but it is interesting see how the anti-vaxxer media plan to attack the mRNA platform. PEG is not a protein, so the likelihood of allergy on a large scale is not likely. They already went with the GMO boogeyman arguments for the other vector vaccines. It is easy to see where this line of argument goes. They are not anti-vaxx, they just find fault with all current vaccine formats. Quelle surprise. This bad faith leads to the perpetual goalpost shifting seen in anti-vax forums.
Nursing homes offering $750.00 through the CARES Act to employees who get vaccinated. A Houston hospital offering a $500.00 "hope bonus" for workers who accept the vaccine. The NFL offering free SB tickets to 7500 healthcare workers that received the vaccine. Even Andrew Yang endorses the idea of a $1500.00 payout to any American who gets vaccinated.

Bribery, coercion, extortion, etc., as the Oligarchs seem hell bent on pressuring employees to get the jab. Whatever happen to informed consent where those who want the vaccine can have it and those who don't can be left alone and respected for their decision. You'd think this was an apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, wipe out humanity type of virus the way these employers are acting. Lol.
I've said before that I wish people were offered money to do it. The money spent is a proverbial drop in the bucket compared to the gains something like universal vaccination would generate. Prevention is always cheaper in the Healthcare realm. Last poll I saw suggested 63% of the USA would get a vaccine if offered. I doubt we top that.

People who don't want the vaccine don't have to get it. That is the choice, no matter what incentives are in place. As you have stated before, you don't want mandates or penalties to encourage vaccination. And now you don't want incentives to encourage vaccination. You can put out a lot of verbiage, but its seems like you just don't want people to be vaccinated. There is a term for that.

ETA. Forgot to mention the best part. The article claims there is sluggish demand for the vaccine. LOLOLOLOL. What planet is that guy on?

Last edited:
"

LOL, according to this unnamed person with an agenda: PEGs have not been widely used and therefore it is not surprising to see allergic reactions. Except for the fact that PEG and PEG derivatives are one of the most common ingredients used in personal care, beauty, and household cleaning products (e.g., soap, sunblock, cosmetics, detergent), in processed foods, drugs such as laxatives, and also previously used in seasonal flu, H1N1 vaccines, etc. So much so, that this study showed 72% of the population tested had anti-PEG antibodies.

But of these, only a very small subset had high levels of these antibodies which may potentially result in a strong allergic response. So as the study rightfully concluded: "The widespread prevalence of pre-existing anti- PEG Ab, coupled with high Ab levels in a subset of the population, underscores the potential importance of screening patients for anti-PEG Ab levels prior to administration of therapeutics containing PEG."

Last edited:
Regarding the common flu, I've just read that there isn't a single person hospilized with the flu in the whole of Europe. In an average year, c. 70,000 people die of it in Europe... A side-effect: it'll be difficult to decide what the flu vaccine for 2022 should look like as there is hardly any circulation, and so it's not clear which variants are most prevalent. Other possible side-effect: less resistance in the population. I'm wondering though how fast the flu can 'recover'.

So, the publication from China quotes an anonymous Chinese doctor claiming that the US/EU vaccines are much less safe than the vaccine made by.... China. Brilliant.

View: https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1354463289762316289

I don't know how much more large scale use you can get than 1.6m doses a day and the mRNA vaccines have been shown to be safe. That doesn't mean that no one has adverse effects, but these are safe vaccines by any standard definition. That is why there is little outcry, Nomad. PEG is in a ton of stuff already, but it is interesting see how the anti-vaxxer media plan to attack the mRNA platform. PEG is not a protein, so the likelihood of allergy on a large scale is not likely. They already went with the GMO boogeyman arguments for the other vector vaccines. It is easy to see where this line of argument goes. They are not anti-vaxx, they just find fault with all current vaccine formats. Quelle surprise. This bad faith leads to the perpetual goalpost shifting seen in anti-vax forums.
I've said before that I wish people were offered money to do it. The money spent is a proverbial drop in the bucket compared to the gains something like universal vaccination would generate. Prevention is always cheaper in the Healthcare realm. Last poll I saw suggested 63% of the USA would get a vaccine if offered. I doubt we top that.

People who don't want the vaccine don't have to get it. That is the choice, no matter what incentives are in place. As you have stated before, you don't want mandates or penalties to encourage vaccination. And now you don't want incentives to encourage vaccination. You can put out a lot of verbiage, but its seems like you just don't want people to be vaccinated. There is a term for that.

ETA. Forgot to mention the best part. The article claims there is sluggish demand for the vaccine. LOLOLOLOL. What planet is that guy on?
There is PEG in his megadose of vit. D! LMBO!! That is funny stuff man! :D

TRENDING THREADS