• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 236 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
well, I don't know what reasons you have been faced with, but the difference is, that the others' decision to get vaccinated can only be beneficial for you (as potentially leading to lifted restricions), while yours may potentially cause the opposite.
Cases in Colorado started plummeting in early December, and on Jan 4 the governor moved from "Level Red" (only places of worship & gyms were allowed open @ 10% capacity) to "Level Orange" (everything open with some restrictions, except nightclubs). This was long before the vaccine rollout, and even presently there's been minimum distribution of the vaccine because of shipment issues.

In fact, if people weren't wearing masks you wouldn't know there's a pandemic. I went out for dinner last night and all the popular restaurants in my neck of the woods were crowded (North Metro-Denver). The gym that I attend has been getting their members back as more people feel comfortable with the declining cases. There was a lot of traffic on the streets last night - more than I've seen in a while. The major chain stores looked pretty crowded. It reminded me of the good old days. All this with no mass distribution of the vaccines.

Last edited:
I think Fauci is right that some organizations are going to ultimately require vaccinations. I disagree that he has the power to enforce mandates.
Fauci is an autocrat with a lot of power now that he's been liberated. He's been put on a pedestal by MSM as the only authority on this pandemic. He now has Biden/Harris as his subordinates. I don't trust his motives and I think he's enamored with the spotlight & power he's been given. He's for mandatory vaccination & double-masking, and who knows what else. He will literally be running the show moving forward.

But, I also doubt that mandates will occur widely before the vaccines get full approval and that will only happen with robust safety and efficacy data. So, that brings me back to my original point. When do you feel safe?
Robust safety data? Are you kidding? Perhaps if they followed the long-term safety protocol on the placebo group as discussed in this paper:

"Large, placebo-controlled, phase 3 efficacy trials could provide much of the needed information if they have appropriately prolonged follow-up while random assignments are still blinded. Such continuation would yield unbiased evidence on the duration of protection and on longer-term safety, including assessment of any evidence of the vaccine eventually enhancing the risk of severe disease (as was recently detected by continued follow-up of placebo recipients in dengue vaccine studies4). If there are hazards, they need to be identified; conversely, longer follow-up might reassuringly demonstrate continued protection with few or no adverse consequences, reducing vaccine hesitancy."

However, so much for that idea. Lol.

"Vaccine trial participants who receive placebo now hop in line for the real thing from Pfizer, Moderna."

Last edited:
Covid is not Dengue. There has been zero evidence of ADE.

You are missing the point about safety. Tens of millions of vaccinations will pick up much more than a 30k person clinical trial. That is the only way to pick up rare safety issues. You do not need a placebo group for this.

As for Fauci, you need to watch less Tucker. Conspiracy theories like that will rot your brain.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
There isn't a big anti-vaccine cohort in The UK, and the uptake has been very good. But concerns about possible side-effects during pregnancy have unfortunately meant that a disproportionate amount of female care staff have refused it.

Consequently some companies in the care sector are already instigating a 'no jab, no job' policy for new recruits
A lady who I work with frequently is concerned about the vaccine while she is breast feeding so she is waiting until summer (more data) to decide what to do.

My company is still exploring their options for requiring vaccination. My immediate boss indicated that even if they can't require it, they are planning to reward those who get vaccinated. Based on a survey they sent out, 88% will get vaccinated, and only 6% won't, the rest were maybe for various reasons (93% responded).

Vaccination update: We have moved back two weeks for company vaccination to allow more time to finish tier one groups. I will be getting my second shot just before my collogues get their first.

Reactions: Koronin
A lady who I work with frequently is concerned about the vaccine while she is breast feeding so she is waiting until summer (more data) to decide what to do.

My company is still exploring their options for requiring vaccination. My immediate boss indicated that even if they can't require it, they are planning to reward those who get vaccinated. Based on a survey they sent out, 88% will get vaccinated, and only 6% won't, the rest were maybe for various reasons (93% responded).

Vaccination update: We have moved back two weeks for company vaccination to allow more time to finish tier one groups. I will be getting my second shot just before my collogues get their first.

My husband hopefully will find out in the next few weeks if the doctors think he medically shouldn't get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. (This has to do with the combination of his having Rheumatoid Arthritis along with bad allergic reactions to a lot of things, although typically not medications). He may be in a situation where something like the J&J vaccine is his only real option for a vaccine. Hence another reason why the J&J vaccine is useful even with lower numbers than what Pfizer and Moderna have and what Novavax is showing. Also one interesting note is that AstraZeneca (two doses) is approved in the UK and either is or will be approved in the EU with numbers very similar to what J&J has.

Reactions: jmdirt
Lots of early reporting is saying that the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has many benefits..primarily it keeps you from getting seriously ill. Other positive things..cheap,easy to produce, easy to store and transport..
also there are 4 other vaccines progressing that while using older technologies are easier all around...
it's encouraging to see the energy,the motivation and cash being dumped on the problem..within a couple of weeks..

Here's the article about it from NBC. This is insane.

Reactions: movingtarget
I don't think people are crazy about vaccines..or being anti vaxers..I have read so much about the currently available vaccines and personally I find it fascinating. As an American I think that there will always be a large group that will not endorse or receive vaccines. Don't think it's worth lots of effort to attempt changing their minds. But another portion of the United States population is simply uniformed..or worse misinformed. There appears to be a pretty widespread acceptance and the media reports of those opponents are more salacious but I think in the end an overwhelming majority will get the vaccine or Covid and we will continue..
Public health education, constant accurate information should have been part of the initial response, since it was not,we need to proceed logically and deliberately. I think once the messages and messengers are professional, competent and calm the general public will respond accordingly.
I personally am surprised by the level of public confidence given the past year

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
I don't think people are crazy about vaccines..or being anti vaxers..I have read so much about the currently available vaccines and personally I find it fascinating. As an American I think that there will always be a large group that will not endorse or receive vaccines. Don't think it's worth lots of effort to attempt changing their minds. But another portion of the United States population is simply uniformed..or worse misinformed. There appears to be a pretty widespread acceptance and the media reports of those opponents are more salacious but I think in the end an overwhelming majority will get the vaccine or Covid and we will continue..
Public health education, constant accurate information should have been part of the initial response, since it was not,we need to proceed logically and deliberately. I think once the messages and messengers are professional, competent and calm the general public will respond accordingly.
I personally am surprised by the level of public confidence given the past year

I think there is a large group in a wait and see about the vaccines. I think as they see people getting it and know people getting it and seeing the side effects, that many will eventually get it. I also think some may be more open to the vaccines coming out later as well, esp ones that are older technology ones.

Interesting to follow the EU-UK 'battle' over vaccine deliveries. I was pretty stunned to see how partial the reports from the otherwise quality journal The Guardian suddenly became. They really report this heavily from the UK angle.

The facts, as far as I can see them:
  • both the EU and the UK signed an agreement with Astrazeneca for their vaccine; the UK did so in June, the EU in August, but their is no mention in the EU contract that they would come 'behind' in the priority list with respect to the UK
  • Astrazeneca has 4 production plants in Europe: 2 in the UK, 2 in the EU; the EU contract mentions all 4 of them
  • Astrazeneca suddenly announced a delivery cut to the EU by about 65%, while deliveries to the UK would go ahead as planned
  • the EU is furious about this sizeable cut, and points to the contract, which mentions the UK plants as production facilities and which doesn't mention 'UK first'
  • EU investigates whether vaccines have been produced at EU plants and delivered in the UK, instead of building up a stock (I'm pretty sure this actually happened, and that would be a problem for Astrazeneca)
  • EU says it all outgoing vaccines from now on have to be greenlighted first, with an exception list of 120 countries (which obviously does not include the UK)
Meanwhile, the UK newspapers can't stop mentioning that the UK is further ahead in number of vaccinated people. What they forget to state is that their strategy is to greatly delay the second jab. The high(er) percentages seem to be designed to stop the worst effects AND be played as propaganda tools for the UK government. Moreover, the British press always stipulates 70% efficacy for the Astrazeneca vaccine, while this is BS as it the trial numbers say 62% (and that's without variants).

To be frank, the EU could've played this smarter, but fundamentally, I believe they are right. If you sign a contract with a company you've subsidized with 100s of millions of euros to roll out production, and that company then last-minute states that deliveries will be cut by 2/3 while the UK gets 100%, then something is not right. When the UK government says "It’s vital we work together, it’s vital we keep borders open and we resist vaccine nationalism, and we resist protectionism." while they at the same time make sure all UK produce of Astrazeneca vaccine stays in the UK, then that's extremely hypocritical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
With all the different numbers from AstraZeneca's trials once looked into, I personally would still not take the AstraZeneca one. Looking at the numbers and what we have for data, it appears to me that the J&J vaccine is actually better than AstraZeneca's. J&J includes the two of the more resistant strains and is one dose, so it's possible a second dose would make it even better as a booster. At this point, although I would prefer either Moderna or Pfizer with a guarantee of two doses on the correct schedule, I would definitely take the J&J if offered that one.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
This and we can't even get an appointment to get on a list to wait for the vaccine that is undersupplied. It's going to be a long Spring....

I'm hoping J&J's vaccine will help with that. Being 1 dose and it sounds like they might be able to up manufacturing more than other companies can. However, it's still likely March is the soonest we'll get that one starting to roll out.

I often type in irrelevant details, today is not going to be an exception.. Rancho San Diego library has had free drive in Covid testing..there have been a few oddly placed folks..there is a fire station and an elementary school..so I don't know about protest laws..but I am guessing you can hold up an anti vax sign just not near kids or accelerating fire trucks.
On the corner of Greenfield and Main in El Cajon..a clinic offering testing for $29.99..a couple of curb cuts from Planned Parenthood and within @30-40 feet of McDonald's entrance..so as these very scattered folks banner and sign,scream the rest of us into submission, they should be strongly warned..if McDonalds begins early offerings of mint green milk shakes, 2 for $3 dollars fish sandwiches..anti vaccination signs and the bodies holding them will only be a squishy speed bump as I strive for fast food calorie ecstasy..
I am sure that the cops are looking for me about the way I drive to and from Baskin Robbins egg nog ice cream fixes..when you are an addict..you have to accept it..
And for Westerners..the chicken sandwich hype is that..Popeyes,Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr, KFC, Wendy's and McDonald's all claim a "new" delicious sandwich.
What they should say..it's made of chicken breast instead of mulch..$$$ Huge money for nothing..Covid has made California dining impossible..so getting a bag w w breast on a bun is some of the only variety..also Indian food wo the buffet feels like a rip off.. In California buffets look like a thing of the past..thanks for nothing Covid.

• Sad
I often type in irrelevant details, today is not going to be an exception.. Rancho San Diego library has had free drive in Covid testing..there have been a few oddly placed folks..there is a fire station and an elementary school..so I don't know about protest laws..but I am guessing you can hold up an anti vax sign just not near kids or accelerating fire trucks.
On the corner of Greenfield and Main in El Cajon..a clinic offering testing for $29.99..a couple of curb cuts from Planned Parenthood and within @30-40 feet of McDonald's entrance..so as these very scattered folks banner and sign,scream the rest of us into submission, they should be strongly warned..if McDonalds begins early offerings of mint green milk shakes, 2 for $3 dollars fish sandwiches..anti vaccination signs and the bodies holding them will only be a squishy speed bump as I strive for fast food calorie ecstasy..
I am sure that the cops are looking for me about the way I drive to and from Baskin Robbins egg nog ice cream fixes..when you are an addict..you have to accept it..
And for Westerners..the chicken sandwich hype is that..Popeyes,Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr, KFC, Wendy's and McDonald's all claim a "new" delicious sandwich.
What they should say..it's made of chicken breast instead of mulch..$$$ Huge money for nothing..Covid has made California dining impossible..so getting a bag w w breast on a bun is some of the only variety..also Indian food wo the buffet feels like a rip off.. In California buffets look like a thing of the past..thanks for nothing Covid.

I'm here waiting for those mint green milk shakes as well. Do NOT get between me and burgers from Bull City Burgers. They are a local burger joint in downtown Durham, NC. They have the best burgers I've ever eaten, so anyone who is visiting Raleigh/Durham and is wanting a burger, go there. Currently, they have two or three street parking spots in front of their restaurant which are now pick up parking spots to easily pick up to go orders.