• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 399 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ultra, first,foremost thanks for your service,thanks for avoiding bone spurs. Double thanks for completing a honorable career and saving vaccine protest stance to civilian life.
You and I can go back and forth,and too often stray from the issues,
Boiled down..my stance is that over a million people dying in the United States of anything is a big deal,of the up most importance to the country,definitely a national security issue. And not straying too far from one of your important talking points,it looks like the absolute origin of the virus,may never be determined, as diligent citizens, readiness is our only option in the event that Covid, or something like it or worse is introduced into the population on purpose. So the rebuilding of the infrastructure for pandemic and other threats,essential for all national security interests. Doing away with agencies and funding for pandemic response was myopic, misplaced and an obvious blunder for public health and national security.

million plus dead for me,means a huge deal call for immediate and emergency action
And as I said about our schools, some vaccine benchmarks need to be maintained so we don't revisit past historical scurges..
And currently there is a great debate about showing death as part of a journalists mission..again our kids and adults are dying, death in other countries,but the American system currently finds it in poor taste to show reality,instead choosing a G or PG version.. You find a number,over the top, when in my opinion,early reporting of stacked bodies,people gasping for a last breath, may have sent an effective Scared Straight type message that many would respond to..from what I have lived..Americans really do live by...seeing is believing..and we rarely saw anything..
There are a series of PSAs featuring folks who used cigarettes or smokeless tobacco products..their personal accounts of why not to, combined with a physical state of decline,disease, or despair are effective deterrent s in my opinion..
I understand that there is overall Covid numbness..but it doesn't lesson the danger
And maybe to your point or not..most prevalent variant looks to be vaccine resistant..

Reactions: Ultrairon
Hospitalization numbers are good at this time. I noted that above. Yet now you want to talk about them...... its good news so why talk about it.
Remember, YOU were the one who said that we shouldn't talk about hospitalization numbers (then you posted them).

Most numbers are good news right now (ie: 'only' one new death in my county) The increase in cases is starting to show an increase in hospitalization, but at this point its relatively small (3% USA). As described in the link I posted a few days ago, the hope is that BA.5 doesn't change that.

My concern is that in June of 2021 I thought that we were past the worst of it, and then we had Delta and Omicron. In June of 2022 I again feel like we are past the worst of it, but I am very guarded because of what happened last year. Hopefully the pattern doesn't repeat...at some point we should get to that...hopefully we are there!

Reactions: Ultrairon
Djokovic has a doctor saying that its wise for ND not to get a vaccine due to potential for heart issues. It is absolutely possible that he could get heart issues from the SC2 vaccine, but it also possible to get a heart issue from SC2, other vaccines, cortisone, pain meds (he admitted/boasted to using 'all kinds'), every Rx, etc. Pretty much any substance that we put in our body has the chance of side effects with all of our body systems.

I had a crazy reaction to the sedative that I got for my colonoscopy last fall.

I wonder if Djok has any immunity from his case in December? It sounds like previous immunity is struggling against BA.5. Hopefully it still keeps people alive and out of the hospital. Vaccines are even struggling depending on the number of doses. Four seems to be keeping people alive and out of the hospital. As I typed above, I hope that this one burns out before it has a chance to really get going.

"In addition, groups of up to four diners would be permitted to eat at restaurants for a maximum of only two hours, while older people and those with underlying health conditions would be advised to meet only family members with whom they lived, NHK said."

This is so 2020ish. It is sad to read it in summer 2022. :(

So now the CDC has eliminated almost all testing and masking requirements for travel and schools; do we enjoy the rest of the Summer? Seems like no one has anything to debate so I vote Aye for now.
By the way...still alot of service industry folks here that mask up because they haven't caught the latest, as*-kicking variant. It's still around in reality.

So now the CDC has eliminated almost all testing and masking requirements for travel and schools; do we enjoy the rest of the Summer? Seems like no one has anything to debate so I vote Aye for now.
By the way...still alot of service industry folks here that mask up because they haven't caught the latest, as*-kicking variant. It's still around in reality.
[/QUOTE
It seems that most countries are using the flu approach now. No mandates at all maybe some recommendations, and regular Covid outbreaks will be expected and everyone makes up their own mind about how to minimize the risks. Oh the beauties of leadership re elected governments. In other words every man and woman for themselves and keep that economy ticking over. Its odd, going into pharmacies where no one is masked up including the staff but they are offering flu and Covid jabs........no signs of Covid burning itself out just yet although the latest outbreak has plateaued in Australia. Deaths are up but infections are down and many of the deaths have been in the 50s and 60s age group for some reason.

Reactions: jmdirt
You could not help but bring it back up. Sad example of how some want the virus to stay upfront on all news cycles. This thread should be dead but the enthusiast will bring it back up forever.
Yeah, my vote is for less precaution...for me since I got the last version and still deal with it but have the ultimate confidence I have the best immunity ever! Or not.
I just noted other folks are feeling or seeing spikes in our neighborhood. This directly following the Billionaires Boys Camp and some other international events of the last 3 weeks; so everyone you revere or fear has been through town. So I'm, not looking for a nooscycle or twitbomb about it and certainly don't care how saaaaddd you feel for us faint flowers. Don't worry about us and be happy!

That's the third of fourth time that I've read about the 'sweet spot'. That will be a BIG hurdle both in development, and in peoples' willingness to use it. If people are worried that it could make them sick, they likely won't use it.

The last few paragraphs are also a snag, there needs to be some kind of concerted plan/effort (even if its not financial like warp speed was).

Reactions: movingtarget
Another study has pointed to low cortisol in the blood as "the singular driver" of long SC2.

Lots of paywalls, but the most recent was a combo team from Yale and Mount Sinai if you care to search.

Hopefully some treatments come on line sooner than later, but the trials are pretty small.

Reactions: Koronin
Another study has pointed to low cortisol in the blood as "the singular driver" of long SC2.

Lots of paywalls, but the most recent was a combo team from Yale and Mount Sinai if you care to search.

Hopefully some treatments come on line sooner than later, but the trials are pretty small.

If they finally have an idea about a possible reason for long Covid, hopefully that means they can now find some sort of treatment for it.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS