• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I tried doing that, but kept getting kicked off the golf course. The problem with tennis was I couldn't reverse direction fast enough. :)

A manifesto from a couple who own an art gallery in Napa, CA, and plan to open it, regardless. Two statements caught my eye:

I appreciate that they've suffered. But this is all too typical, assuming that you are willingly taking on the risk, without taking into account that you're also increasing the risk for others. Too many people still don't get this.

Do they mean defend only in a legal sense, which they mention earlier, or also in a physical sense? Are we going to see fighting in the streets over this?

https://napavalleyregister.com/opin...cle_ea43dd12-a53a-5639-945a-f56ffb08308c.html
I've wondered, said, and typed similar many times. Admittedly, I have not had to make the sacrifices that many have so its easier for me to protect myself and others, but I am disappointed in many people who aren't willing to sacrifice for others. Some people can't even inconvenience themselves to do something as simple as wearing a mask at the supermarket.

Also, when they open do they expect to have mobs of people? I wonder if they will even have enough customers to make it worth opening.

Hopefully they don't have physical/violent actions in mind to defend their rights. Do they mean their rights to help spread C19?;)

Silver lining or semi silver. My introduction to cycling was a front control arm and ball joint failing and folding in on my Volkswagen. Because of this personal catastrophe..and a borrowed Schwinn Le Tour..I found myself riding bicycles to get places. Including to,work,tennis,golf,the beach.
I found that I performed better,everywhere..Riding a bike made me a better golfer..and way better tennis.player.
I never shook it..and when I discovered racing nothing could get me off the bike.
Covid19 is opening up so much to so many from this involuntary life pause. Reading,cooking,parenting,music,gardening,writing,animal husbandry..walking..the list is endless.
seeing the store shelves empty of baking supplies and sewing machines..
No matter what something good will come of it.
Sleeping..how many people will live better and longer for being virus forced to sleep more and or better.
Nutrition?
Profound that people are revisiting food..cooking and eating it from raw ingredients..and if nothing else..eating slower.
For those who can explore these things..there may be a benefit.
And I do know that my attitude and resources are not available to all..
The Boise foothills have been loaded with people who clearly aren't normally active people. I hope that they discover the pleasure of fitness and just getting out on the dirt enough to continue even after C19 isn't what controls our lives. In late Mach the lower trails were crazy everyday, but that has already halved so not everyone is enjoying the discomfort of getting back in shape. Maybe some of them have retreated to the flatter trails along the river?

As much as I'm glad that people are enjoying an active lifestyle, they sure do get in the way of the beginning and end of my ride! :)

GVFTA

BANNED
I've wondered, said, and typed similar many times. Admittedly, I have not had to make the sacrifices that many have so its easier for me to protect myself and others, but I am disappointed in many people who aren't willing to sacrifice for others. Some people can't even inconvenience themselves to do something as simple as wearing a mask at the supermarket.
In Boulder, CO we now have to wear masks at all times in public businesses. Haven't heard much complaining about it, but we are obviously a bit different in our habits than many places.

In Maryland:

At least 4,011 confirmed cases – about 19 percent of the total infections in the state – were linked to nursing homes or long-term care facilities. At least 471 coronavirus-related deaths – about 48 percent of all fatalities in the state – were also tied to nursing homes.
No kidding. Tell us something we don't already know.

And a reminder, in most places the the percent of confirmed cases is about ~10% of the actual prevalence. Another thing those idiotic museum owners didn't understand.

Now museum owners think they know better than the people who are in charge of those decisions.

I'm curious what your position would be if you zero income since mid-March with continued overhead.

I'm not casting aspersions but there seems to be a gigantic difference in opinion wrt our current state of lock-down when comparing those continuing to get paid and those that are not.

Reactions: GVFTA

GVFTA

BANNED
I'm curious what your position would be if you zero income since mid-March with continued overhead.

I'm not casting aspersions but there seems to be a gigantic difference in opinion wrt our current state of lock-down when comparing those continuing to get paid and those that are not.

"Frustrations are reaching a boiling point as thousands of Pennsylvanians struggle to get unemployment benefits. Six weeks into a government mandated shutdown and some people are having no success getting unemployment benefits."

This is happening all across the country.

Hopefully they don't have physical/violent actions in mind to defend their rights. Do they mean their rights to help spread C19?

It's a tough situation. Again, it's easy for people who have not been ruined financially to wag their finger at those who have or are about to be. With as much mis-information that there is it's no wonder people who are circling the financially are not willing to sit idly by and watch their life's work be ordered shut.

We can't discuss how I would handle this without breaking forum rules. But, I can almost guarantee you that the things I would be willing to do to help would be things you would probably not be willing to do.

• Angry
Reactions: GVFTA
"Frustrations are reaching a boiling point as thousands of Pennsylvanians struggle to get unemployment benefits. Six weeks into a government mandated shutdown and some people are having no success getting unemployment benefits."

This is happening all across the country.

Same with business and the PPP program through SBA. The banks can't get the money out fast enough so business are defying orders and opening back up. Watch closely what happens if/when these folks get arrested.

This is the problem. Just let those museum owners die on the vine.

Most who can no longer provide for themselves are only going to stand for your (and others) hubris for so long.
Maybe they can find an innovative solution to make money. Perhaps they can design artistic face masks. Sell subscriptions or future access to help with cash flow. Offer something of value online. I have marginal sympathy for people who want to go back to a normal that no longer exists because they can't think up a better solution. Why are entrepreneurs so devoid of ideas?
Maybe start by offering your paycheck to those idiot museum owners on the condition they stay closed.

Will you do that?
Yes. Except only if it will go to local MD'ers who really need it. I'll bet the portfolio of people who have owned a museum for a quarter century can manage for a bit longer without my help.

We were asked to do something very hard at least through May. But because that is beyond the capacity of a minority of the country, we will now be tasked with doing something much, much harder.

Yes. Except only if it will go to local MD'ers who really need it.

Here you go. Please put up copies of your donation amounts. They'll send receipts to your in-box. And don't simply donate some random amount. Your entire paycheck. Go back to mid-March and pay the foodbank until whenever you think it's time for those put out of business can go back to work. June? July? Whenever you think it's okay.

Thanks for being part of the solution.

https://mdfoodbank.org/

I've always found economics and money flows difficult to think about. As a biogeoscientist, I'm used to working with fluxes and pools (carbon, water, nitrogen - mostly). We can construct a pretty accurate carbon cycle at various scales, where we know how much carbon is in the different pools, and what the fluxes are between the pools. The cycle is (close to being) closed. But for money, I have never really seen elaborate schemes such as these. Money sometimes just seems to disappear, and sometimes seems to appear. It really puzzles me, and if I read the opinions of economists, they seem to say opposite things - so it seems like they aren't sure either. I've been reading some opinion articles about 'helicopter money' and how that would be a solution. I would like these guys to explain this with some numbers - I want to see closed loops where numbers add up. :nomouth:

8265010034_cc08a75056_z.jpg

Last edited:
Done. My check tomorrow will be split between the food bank and ASPCA, because animals are important too. I can stop working and not need money for the next 15-20 years.
No. You were asked to do something very hard. They were asked to do something that will destroy them financially. That is much, much more than 'very hard.'
That would've happened regardless. Not much eagerness to go to museums in NYC at the moment. That would've been what much of the rest of the country would look like.

Reactions: Koronin
Done. My check tomorrow will be split between the food bank and ASPCA, because animals are important too.

Well done. I applaud this.

I can stop working and not need money for the next 15-20 years.

Other than those about ready to retire or already retired I don't know anybody in this position. I submit to you this is a big reason you are taking the position you are.

That would've happened regardless.

Maybe. Not every nook and cranny in the US is piled on top of each other like we see in NYC. Not every place has people stacked on top of each other in subways either. What's appropriate for NYC may not be for Napa.

Museums don't sell items. Art galleries do. Their art gallery has been unable to do so.
Every museum I have been in has had various things for sale. I am no entrepreneur, but if they weren't making profit off it, they would not be selling them. And since you mentioned it, I looked up their gallery and they sell stuff online and they ship worldwide. Or you can buy e-gift cards to support them until they get back on their feet again. This whole thing doesn't pass the smell test. I guess I shouldn't expect better from someone quoting Ayn Rand on twitter.
Maybe. Not every nook and cranny in the US is piled on top of each other like we see in NYC. Not every place has people stacked on top of each other in subways either. What's appropriate for NYC may not be for Napa.
Detroit and New Orleans don't have subways. The biggest flaw in their argument is the claim that it is no more dangerous to visit them than going food shopping. True, but I can't eat sculpture. Or drink paint. Everybody thinks their job is essential.