• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very strange...any theories? Could there be two strains - one much weaker and less potent than the other?

Anyway, clear across the globe is the former Soviet-block nation of Belarus. And the Belarusians who basically live under a dictatorship don't have a lockdown nor any social distancing rules: 156 deaths as of today for a country of 9.5 million:

Here's the Belarusians celebrating WW2 victory day this past weekend with a parade in front of tens of thousands of people packed together like sardines: :openmouth:

View: https://youtu.be/94J1Bd0busY

Here's Lukashenko in his hockey uniform giving his two-cents' worth on the coronavirus:

View: https://youtu.be/cm_N4xoEUws
We have a working acquaintance from Belarus. She says she can't trust living there and is trying to get a few remaining relatives out. Not sure you could trust any public health figures from that environment of control.

The guy said that he would rather be dead, D-E-A-D, than start over. He is a moron. And just about everything he said was a lie.

My man, even though I have nothing to risk, I have been taking public transit every day to go to my pandemic-mandated job. So, quit lecturing me about sacrifices. Especially after you were so wrong about chloroquine. Do you take any ownership of that?

PS, my partner is working a 10 h shift today at a COVID-19 test center with a single N95 mask. Not a single mask for this shift... a single mask for the foreseeable future. So, again, thank you for trying to compare what we are doing with a guy who made millions by getting people to argue about whether Joe Flacco is elite.
Many people feel like this guy and want to work now. They don't consider the cost of another shut down and the business consequences of that scenario. It's telling that industries that require workers with much training are more considerate and conservative about working environment than businesses like meat-processing that have a work force they are treating as disposable. It is chilling to have a factory operation with large C-19 positives and local health officials "controlling" collaboratively the number of infected and dying. Is that part of the Freedom that demonstrators want because we seem to get it all in one stroke with open doors?
Now we have an Administration announcing the mobilization of the Military to help administer vaccines....which most of the organized demonstrators are totally against, too. Using the Military might be a great idea but announcing that is like saying the economy will be OK by the 3rd quarter....we have no idea when either will happen so quit the SHOW of pointless attention gathering and support real solutions.

Last edited:
We have a working acquaintance from Belarus. She says she can't trust living there and is trying to get a few remaining relatives out. Not sure you could trust any public health figures from that environment of control.
Any person of average intelligence would be wondering what they got themselves into at the moment re countries like Brazil and Belarus. Being a microbiologist in these countries must be a frustrating experience. God knows what the doctors and nurses are thinking in Brazil at the moment. They are probably too busy to think about such things.

Many people feel like this guy and want to work now. They don't consider the cost of another shut down and the business consequences of that scenario. It's telling that industries that require workers with much training are more considerate and conservative about working environment than businesses like meat-processing that have a work force they are treating as disposable. It is chilling to have a factory operation with large C-19 positives and local health officials "controlling" collaboratively the number of infected and dying. Is that part of the Freedom that demonstrators want because we seem to get it all in one stroke with open doors?
Now we have an Administration announcing the mobilization of the Military to help administer vaccines....which most of the organized demonstrators are totally against, too. Using the Military might be a great idea but announcing that is like saying the economy will be OK by the 3rd quarter....we have no idea when either will happen so quit the SHOW of pointless attention gathering and support real solutions.
Sorry for the broken record reply, but for all of the people protesting to reopen, what if they still can't make it? Can businesses survive on 50% (or less), or at 50% are they losing more money than being closed? Will they even get 50%? They surely can't make it on less can they? Sure, we saw the WI partiers hitting the bars, but was that enough to keep those businesses going? Will that 'freedom surge' continue enough to support businesses? Will those initial people become infected?

There was a bar/pub in rural ID that ignored the order and 8 of 20ish people now have C19 (and likely more to come). Will that make others at least in that area believers? Will they serve as an example for other rural areas?

We have several packing plants (potatoes, onions, dairy, meet) that are getting hit hard. Indications are that its less because of work exposure and more because they are grabbing beers after work, and families hanging out on weekends. Again, will others around them learn from their errors?

Reactions: Oldermanish

This could be big. Almost too much to hope for.

STI-1499, A Potent Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, Demonstrates Ability To Completely Inhibit In Vitro Virus Infection In Preclinical Studies
STI-1499 Antibody has demonstrated in preclinical experiments (full results will be submitted to a peer-reviewed publication shortly):
  • 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection of healthy cells after four days incubation
  • Specific binding to S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein and complete blockade of its interaction with ACE2 receptor

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...fection-in-preclinical-studies-301059779.html

Reactions: jmdirt
Very strange...any theories? Could there be two strains - one much weaker and less potent than the other?

Anyway, clear across the globe is the former Soviet-block nation of Belarus. And the Belarusians who basically live under a dictatorship don't have a lockdown nor any social distancing rules: 156 deaths as of today for a country of 9.5 million:

Here's the Belarusians celebrating WW2 victory day this past weekend with a parade in front of tens of thousands of people packed together like sardines: :openmouth:

View: https://youtu.be/94J1Bd0busY

Here's Lukashenko in his hockey uniform giving his two-cents' worth on the coronavirus:

View: https://youtu.be/cm_N4xoEUws
Well, I believe Belarus had fewer cases than Slovakia at the begining of april and now it is almost 20 times higher and will be more soon.

I suspect underreporting of deaths both Russia and Belarus. The mortality seems very low to me. However which is very odd to me that Singapur + Quatar have 55k cases combined but only 35 deaths. That less than 0,1 %. They are not even same region. Whole middle east has low mortality except Iran.

Well, I believe Belarus had fewer cases than Slovakia at the begining of april and now it is almost 20 times higher and will be more soon.

I suspect underreporting of deaths both Russia and Belarus. The mortality seems very low to me. However which is very odd to me that Singapur + Quatar have 55k cases combined but only 35 deaths. That less than 0,1 %. They are not even same region. Whole middle east has low mortality except Iran.
Yes the stats coming out of some countries don't make much sense. Getting correct stats from third world countries as well will be difficult unless the UN has staff in the camps etc.......it's also obvious that the leadership of countries like Brazil are not concerned about the stats so reporting them correctly is not even an issue.

Perhaps they don't go to restaurants and bars as much...Iran was a serious hotspot with little medical response capability. Wife and I were in Canada the last day skiing was open and had a dinner conversation with an adjoining pair of men. We were observing separation and glad when the conversation turned to the travels of one of the two real estate guys; from Iran. He had Canadian citizenship and was arranging for relatives medical care and risk prevention for family members. He said it was bleak with the government forced to bury victims in large, open graves without any funeral arrangements. It shocked him and we left the next morning; hunkering since then close to home.
When folks aren't prepared the vulnerable get hit quick (Iranian elderly in extended families, like Italy) and it's no fu*cking joke. It's certainly not a hoax as US intelligence pointed out to our Administration shortly after it hit them Iran 2.19.20 with a suspected Chinese origin. The US didn't bar foreign nationals that had travelled to China until March 11 and UK on March 16.

I saw this a few days ago and thought, unless they have vit D levels for all C19 deaths, this is just an advertisement.

Single factor longitudinal studies in a novel pandemic, you could have 50 of them that read just like this. It would be nice though if it was as simple as taking more vit D, but I think that it will be just like taking vit C for other coronavirus,

Fair enough, though it certainly won't hurt anyone who wants to take it.

Reactions: jmdirt
Russia's daily case figure has been very high for almost two weeks, and overall the curve was rising until a few days ago. It is hard to believe, but perhaps they were still at an early stage of the pandemic. We should see an increase in deaths soon, and it'd be pretty suspicious if we don't.

Reactions: movingtarget
I saw this a few days ago and thought, unless they have vit D levels for all C19 deaths, this is just an advertisement.

Single factor longitudinal studies in a novel pandemic, you could have 50 of them that read just like this. It would be nice though if it was as simple as taking more vit D, but I think that it will be just like taking vit C for other coronavirus,
I wouldn't undermine vitamin D3, as well as good nutrition and excercise to get the biggest bang for a healthy immune system. Most or all of us here are athletes and should already know this...right? (I'm a grandmasters and have been competing in so many different sports from my college football days in the early 80s up to now as a GM in triathlon).

An anecdotal on my experience with D3:

Back during the first week of this past February, my 20 yr old son, who is a student-athlete at a local university, came home pretty sick with flu-like symptoms - he shut it down and went into survival mode. Two days later, I woke up also sick and felt like I just got hit by a Mack truck. All flu-like symptoms with breathing difficulties for me (I haven't had been this sick for over 10 yrs). Since our symptoms were very similar to those of COVID-19, I called my primary care doctor about it who said it's probably not COVID but a case of the severe flu - and that it would probably take "5-6 weeks" to completely recover and return back to full training (gee... thanks doc).

After several days of absolutely no improvement from basic OTC meds, I didn't panicked and for the both of us, ramped our vitamin D3 significantly (we both take a lower dose throughout the year and I get plenty of sun in the summer). Within a few days we both felt tremendously better and I could breath again. All in all - it was about 10 days downtime where I lost 12 lbs, quite bit of muscle mass and virtually all CV fitness. I gently returned to running/riding and weight workouts getting back to pre-illness levels in about 3 weeks - and I'm no spring chicken either. My son took far less time to recover, obviously being much younger.

I really believe the D3 was the point turning point. A lot of people have low D3 levels. Most of us in northern two-thirds of the country can't get any sun during the winter months. And even in the summer months many people use sunscreen which impairs the synthesis of D3 from the sun. Low D3 levels impair our immune system's ability to fight off viral & bacterial infections. D3 can also downregulate the cytokine storm seen in cases of a hyperactive-immune response to pathogens:

Also, excercise can prevent or at least reduce the severity of ARDS by producing a key antioxidant (EcSOD):

And the one thing that irks me is the WH medical staff's reluctancy in advocating a healthy diet, excercise and certain supplements like D3 during this pandemic. I haven't heard Fauci, Birx nor the Surgeon General say anything about this. All three are MDs, with Fauci who runs several miles everyday, and Brix & Adams both in the military (Birx inactive but reached the rank of Colonel in the Army reserves).

This is obviously a strong respiratory virus that can be challenging to a healthy immune system and we have a such poor state of health in this country with so many sick, ill & sedentary people. Something like 100 million Americans with hypertension, over 100 million with diabetes/prediabetes, another 75 million with cardiovascular disease and a 40% OBESITY rate! It shouldn't be shock & awe that so many people are developing complications from this virus. These people should have been dumping the junk food and eating healthy, getting excercise & increasing their vitamin D levels. But yet so many continue their bad habits and remain terrified of getting the virus. These are the same people who lack personal responsibility and expect the government to protect them at all costs. The same people who clog up the healthcare system with so many preventable chronic ailments (even before COVID), and expect the government to solve their problems for them. If I can do it at my age (plus I have post-traumatic OA from injuries sustained in a serious car accident several years ago), then most people should be able to it!

A sad state of affairs with the health of this country!

Last edited:
Well, yes, better live healthy. And yes, a healthy lifestyle helps - statistically. Nonetheless people just have different genetics and sometimes people get serious illnesses early although they have been living very healthy. So I can understand your point. But it always upsets me a little when people are blamed for getting ill, like it was all their choice.

I wouldn't undermine vitamin D3, as well as good nutrition and excercise to get the biggest bang for a healthy immune system. Most or all of us here are athletes and should already know this...right? (I'm a grandmasters and have been competing in so many different sports from my college football days in the early 80s up to now as a GM in triathlon).

Back during the first week of this past February, my 20 yr old son, who is a student-athlete at a local university, came home pretty sick with flu-like symptoms - he shut it down and went into survival mode. Two days later, I woke up also sick and felt like I just got hit by a Mack truck. All flu-like symptoms with breathing difficulties for me (I haven't had been this sick for over 10 yrs). Since our symptoms were very similar to those of COVID-19, I called my primary care doctor about it who said it's probably not COVID but a case of the severe flu - and that it would probably take "5-6 weeks" to completely recover and return back to full training (gee... thanks doc).

After several days of absolutely no improvement from basic OTC meds, I didn't panicked and for the both of us, ramped our vitamin D3 significantly (we both take a lower dose throughout the year and I get plenty of sun in the summer). Within a few days we both felt tremendously better and I could breath again. All in all - it was about 10 days downtime where I lost 12 lbs, quite bit of muscle mass and virtually all CV fitness. I gently returned to running/riding and weight workouts getting back to pre-illness levels in about 3 weeks - and I'm no spring chicken either. My son took far less time to recover, obviously being much younger.

I really believe the D3 was the point turning point. A lot of people have low D3 levels. Most of us in northern two-thirds of the country can't get any sun during the winter months. And even in the summer months many people use sunscreen which impairs the synthesis of D3 from the sun. Low D3 levels impair our immune system's ability to fight off viral & bacterial infections. D3 can also downregulate the cytokine storm seen in cases of a hyperactive-immune response to pathogens:

Also, excercise can prevent or at least reduce the severity of ARDS by producing a key antioxidant (EcSOD):

And the one thing that irks me is the WH medical staff's reluctancy in advocating a healthy diet, excercise and certain supplements like D3 during this pandemic. I haven't heard Fauci, Birx nor the Surgeon General say anything about this. All three are MDs, with Fauci who runs several miles everyday, and Brix & Adams both in the military (Birx inactive but reached the rank of Colonel in the Army reserves).

This is obviously a strong respiratory virus that can be challenging to a healthy immune system and we have a such poor state of health in this country with so many sick, ill & sedentary people. Something like 100 million Americans with hypertension, over 100 million with diabetes/prediabetes, another 75 million with cardiovascular disease and a 40% OBESITY rate! It shouldn't be shock & awe that so many people are developing complications from this virus. These people should have been dumping the junk food and eating healthy, getting excercise & increasing their vitamin D levels. But yet so many continue their bad habits and remain terrified of getting the virus. These are the same people who lack personal responsibility and expect the government to protect them at all costs. The same people who clog up the healthcare system with so many preventable chronic ailments (even before COVID), and expect the government to solve their problems for them. If I can do it at my age (plus I have post-traumatic OA from injuries sustained in a serious car accident several years ago), then most people should be able to it!

I assume that you meant to reply to my post about the Vit D article. My main point there is that the only way to come to a valid conclusion is to analyze the blood work from people who died of C19.

RE: supplementation: two facts: 1) its best to get nutrients from food, 2) your body will only metabolize a certain amount. So, if you are getting enough nutrients from food you don't need supplements (some food are fortified with nutrients like D). Many nutrients that aren't utilized are excreted from the body (C), but some (D3) are stored in fat. The advantage of nutrients stored in fat is that they are easily accessible as needed, but if you are eating enough of these nutrients you don't tap into these stores. Eventually the adipose gets full, D goes into the blood, and is exhaled.

So to your point, your body will only utilize and store a certain amount of D so taking more has no benefit (maybe no harm either).

EDIT: Just saw Koronin's post. I am talking about the majority of people in the USA, not people with deficiencies from genetics, disease, etc.

I wanted to make this separate from the Vit D discussion. What do you mean by OTC meds (fever reducer, cough suppressant...)? Based on reading your posts over the years I know that you know this, but I'll type it anyway: OTC meds treat the symptoms not the virus/bacteria. They make you feel slightly better while your immune system battles the pathogen.

I'm not a medical doc, but based on your description, I would suggest that the several days of OTCs plus few days of D3 (about a week?) gave your immune system time to get the upper hand. The D3 probably didn't hurt, but I'd say it was the time that made the difference. One BUT here is that when we are sick we tend not to eat as well/much so supplementation can help our immune system as the days in bed stretch on.

EDIT: Older populations in care facilities might be nutrient deficient so that might bend the numbers. It seems like a good facility would perform regular blood work and adjust diet (including supplementation) as needed, but I'm not sure if that is a 'standard'.

Last edited:
Texas is reporting 700 positives out of Amarillo; largely due to factory food prep operations. Gov. Abbott is rushing testing there.....what? Like this sort of work situation isn't a known operational risk and a perquisite for "re-opening"?
And still they will continue with the general relaxing after a week of rising positives.
No word from the National front on this, yet. Good luck getting this genie back in the bottle, Texas.

Reactions: djpbaltimore
Or there’s evidence of efficacy with the less than death-bed sick.
Then you should be able to show that in a randomized clinical trial. So far....crickets. Zero evidence that chloroquine helps at all. Notice that all the drugs were donated. That is how you get a clinical trial off the ground.

Indoor gatherings are bad policy. Especially ones that involve singing. No exceptions.
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1262155225621815305

Last edited: