• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 271 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Update:
I'm close to riot. (As you could probably guess from my recent posts.)
Obviously Germany is a banana state, just without bananas.
Is this a political post? Not really, it's more about the mental state of mine...
I think there are different levels of banana states at the moment, mentally and politically, Nothing like a pandemic to expose some systemic weaknesses and muddled thinking...............

Last edited:
And... the recent draft for the next weeks and months still doesn't imagine meeting with more than 1 household... except if you're vaccinated... unfortunately teenagers cannot be vaccinated before september at best, and smaller children, who knows, maybe next year... but yeah, who needs to meet more than a friend at a time, anyway? Certainly not people under 16.

• Sad
Reactions: gregrowlerson
And... the recent draft for the next weeks and months still doesn't imagine meeting with more than 1 household... except if you're vaccinated... unfortunately teenagers cannot be vaccinated before september at best, and smaller children, who knows, maybe next year... but yeah, who needs to meet more than a friend at a time, anyway? Certainly not people under 16.

Maybe some better news on the way?

FDA and CDC just gave EUA for Pfizer for teens (any one 12 and up), so if you can get an appointment somewhere with the Pfizer you can get teens vaccinated.

FDA and CDC just gave EUA for Pfizer for teens (any one 12 and up), so if you can get an appointment somewhere with the Pfizer you can get teens vaccinated.

At the moment it's tough to get any appointments. Depends on a lot of things, it's a bit wild wild west whether you get one or not. My parents, around 60, did get one last week, although for other reasons than their age. Me, I'm now on this waiting list and expect to get my first appointment at the end of June, we will see, but I don't really care that much. I'm an introvert anyway, work a lot and now exclusively from home anyway, so... fine. But the children... nobody seems to care about them.
The promise here for teenagers is september. I also think it would be better to give the vaccinations to the most vulnerable in other countries first before vaccinating healthy teenagers and children, but in any case I think Germany is not thinking about that age group at all. In my opinion it would be fair to let them go to school after a negative test, and then allow them to meet in small groups in the afternoon, which hasn't been possible for most of the last 14 months now. That is such a long time when you are young, the younger you are, the longer this is.
I know these quick tests aren't perfect. But if you're vaccinated it's not 100% sure you cannot transmit the virus anymore, either. They are now opening the beer gardens... fine, I can totally see the economic necessity. Despite the financial support about 50% of the shops in my area have closed (small shops, probably already on the brink of closing before corona...) But children don't need beer gardens.

Also they do now want to set up a program for the children which includes private lessons and lessons on Saturdays, in the holidays and the later afternoon so that they can catch up what they didn't learn at school during the last year... Meant well, but effectively, in my eyes, that means punishing them for not being allowed to go to school.
It's not like they didn't have to learn anything during the last year. They just had to do it on their own at home, which probably often wasn't as effective.

We will see what actually happens and when... maybe things will happen differently anyway.

Maybe some better news on the way?

True, that's very good, although in my area nothing's changing much so far, we never had such high numbers anyway. But in any case that's pleasant, yes. :D

Boise School District is partnering with St. Luke's Medical to have mobile shot clinics at the 5 (four hours at each school) High Schools for teens, parents, and anyone else to get vaccinated. Plus there is a St Al's Medical FEMA mobile unit going to rural areas to reach those people.

Reactions: Koronin
If all people were responsible enough to get vaccinated we could put masks behinds us more quickly/more safely. But selfish people are dragging this out for everyone.

Unvaccinated people are more dangerous to each other than to vaccinated people.

EDIT: Science, not politics, should guide decisions, that is what I am 'enamored' with.

"The pandemic is not over," Polis said, "but if you are vaccinated, it is largely over for you."

Polis said to anyone not yet vaccinated: "We're ready to return to normal because so many people are vaccinated, so come along with us and get yourself vaccinated."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ultrairon
At the moment it's tough to get any appointments. Depends on a lot of things, it's a bit wild wild west whether you get one or not. My parents, around 60, did get one last week, although for other reasons than their age. Me, I'm now on this waiting list and expect to get my first appointment at the end of June, we will see, but I don't really care that much. I'm an introvert anyway, work a lot and now exclusively from home anyway, so... fine. But the children... nobody seems to care about them.
The promise here for teenagers is september. I also think it would be better to give the vaccinations to the most vulnerable in other countries first before vaccinating healthy teenagers and children, but in any case I think Germany is not thinking about that age group at all. In my opinion it would be fair to let them go to school after a negative test, and then allow them to meet in small groups in the afternoon, which hasn't been possible for most of the last 14 months now. That is such a long time when you are young, the younger you are, the longer this is.
I know these quick tests aren't perfect. But if you're vaccinated it's not 100% sure you cannot transmit the virus anymore, either. They are now opening the beer gardens... fine, I can totally see the economic necessity. Despite the financial support about 50% of the shops in my area have closed (small shops, probably already on the brink of closing before corona...) But children don't need beer gardens.

Also they do now want to set up a program for the children which includes private lessons and lessons on Saturdays, in the holidays and the later afternoon so that they can catch up what they didn't learn at school during the last year... Meant well, but effectively, in my eyes, that means punishing them for not being allowed to go to school.
It's not like they didn't have to learn anything during the last year. They just had to do it on their own at home, which probably often wasn't as effective.

We will see what actually happens and when... maybe things will happen differently anyway.

True, that's very good, although in my area nothing's changing much so far, we never had such high numbers anyway. But in any case that's pleasant, yes. :D

I feel bad that you all don't have a lot of vaccine over there yet. Over here you can get appointments on line at different pharmacies and NYC has set up vaccination sites in tourist areas that are walk in sites and they are specifically using the J&J vaccine for that one because it's a one dose because it is walk in and for both locals and tourists.

I'm sure that irks you to no end. Lol. And here's one for you since your party is in charge of this state:
Not really. Because I never had any belief that those kinds of policy would ever exist. There are exceptions, but I think people who want the vaccine in every state have had the opportunity to get one. It is absolutely fair game to loosen all restrictions.

Sars2 is an endemic human pathogen now. People who don't get vaccinated should expect to be infected sooner or later just like everyone gets infected with the flu. I think this winter will be a bad one for the unvaccinated.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Forbes/status/1393337339649400835

Last edited:
It's a twisty road for all the comparisons..you got people living in different countries,and within some have health care some don't,different densities and a pretty long list of variables..
before I say anything for or against..the U.S. has improved 10,000% in coffee and beer quality in @20 years..we have improved our bread quality 1000% in the same time frame..and that is compared with Germany.
I was horrified by many things in Germany..starting list..very little meat and cheese on a sandwich,raw pork smeared on a roll,and the mixing of things. Cola,Sprite,Orange soda and Spetzi w beer!! Then because I couldn't talk I started to eat and drink what was put before me..and man oh man oh man was I happy..
jump back to current day Idaho..pretty good beer and trout when you catch it..Germany, trout w roasted almonds and cucumber salad with dill..Germany in all these wars and no conflict was ever over something important like Bauren brote, or cream or cheese cake made in fine German bakeries..I can see these foods as life or death..Kabobs...pizza..and many things made at the butcher shop that are breathtaking..
So yes while I have been imprisoned by the pandemic..my mind is never not in a state of fantasy about German cuisine.. Some times when I am having a really bad day or week..I close my eyes and think of schnitzel. No matter what variety..sure I like it w w savory mushroom sauce,but I have devoured every type offered..
so yes I am glad that we are all getting out..and one of my sub goals was to go to Texas for BBQ..or Idaho for some self caught fish cooked on an open flame..but as soon as I am able I will fly to Frankfurt or Berlin and go on an eating and drinking tour de force as a reward for not having died or killing people during the pandemic..
So Blue Road..you go down and get some raw pork w peppers,salt and onion smeared on a roll and think..what's the big deal? Then remember I am going to spend thousands for your routine,easy to get food!!
what I wouldn't do for a curry wurst..

That is an interesting article, but I think hygiene hypothesis is sometimes incorrectly summarized being mostly about personal hygiene. True hygiene hypothesis is more about hygiene on the societal level. Moving from pre-industrial sanitary conditions to modern water treatment and sanitation. The human immune system evolved over millennia in the constant presence of parasitic infections due to untreated water and questionable meat procurement and cooking. Parasites and helminths are not something people in the developed world experience. The upshot of that is that the arm of the immune system that deals with that kind of thing seems to react with allergens in the absence of parasites. I do agree with the author that soil bacteria are good at lowering the risk of allergies, which may explain why the data suggests that you have to have at least 2 dogs to lower the risk in your children. I don't think this is a big deal for the pandemic. Or at least a bigger deal than it already is.

Reactions: jmdirt
It's a twisty road for all the comparisons..you got people living in different countries,and within some have health care some don't,different densities and a pretty long list of variables..
before I say anything for or against..the U.S. has improved 10,000% in coffee and beer quality in @20 years..we have improved our bread quality 1000% in the same time frame..and that is compared with Germany.
I was horrified by many things in Germany..starting list..very little meat and cheese on a sandwich,raw pork smeared on a roll,and the mixing of things. Cola,Sprite,Orange soda and Spetzi w beer!! Then because I couldn't talk I started to eat and drink what was put before me..and man oh man oh man was I happy..
jump back to current day Idaho..pretty good beer and trout when you catch it..Germany, trout w roasted almonds and cucumber salad with dill..Germany in all these wars and no conflict was ever over something important like Bauren brote, or cream or cheese cake made in fine German bakeries..I can see these foods as life or death..Kabobs...pizza..and many things made at the butcher shop that are breathtaking..
So yes while I have been imprisoned by the pandemic..my mind is never not in a state of fantasy about German cuisine.. Some times when I am having a really bad day or week..I close my eyes and think of schnitzel. No matter what variety..sure I like it w w savory mushroom sauce,but I have devoured every type offered..
so yes I am glad that we are all getting out..and one of my sub goals was to go to Texas for BBQ..or Idaho for some self caught fish cooked on an open flame..but as soon as I am able I will fly to Frankfurt or Berlin and go on an eating and drinking tour de force as a reward for not having died or killing people during the pandemic..
So Blue Road..you go down and get some raw pork w peppers,salt and onion smeared on a roll and think..what's the big deal? Then remember I am going to spend thousands for your routine,easy to get food!!
I lived in Germany for a few years way back when and I am intrigued by this raw pork dish you speak of. What do you call it in German?

Btw., I concur the schnitzels, wuerstchen, and even fresh baked breads from the bakery first thing in the morning were most excellent. (Also, nowadays you can get Nutella in my area in the States, but for many years I would have been willing to travel to any country in Europe just for a jar of Nutella. First time I tried peanut butter in the States I was just horrified, it didn't taste like Nutella at all.)

I suppose you mean Mett-Brötchen with these raw pork rolls... which I find disgusting, but my son loves them... :smile:
German food does not exactly cheer me up... but I love mixed drinks!

They will now give up all vaccination priorities from 7th of June onwards, like it already has happened in a few states, although for instance in my state they have stopped the first-time vaccinations until end of May because there aren't enough vaccines.
So the politicians can say "see, everyone can make an appoinment now, we kept our promises", while the doctors say they get overrun by people asking for appointments, even have to deal with people getting aggressive... Also I agree that "doctors know their patients best" and can decide who needs it most... but this way of course people also get vaccinated simply because they know a doctor personally while others will still have to wait for months. And it's very unclear which doctors you should or shouldn't ask, whether you should call or not, there are special actions here and there and people sitting in front of their computers, constantly re-loading pages, to get free appointments... it's just complete chaos.
I think in most other European countries there's a clear priorization by age, which is probably not fair in every case either, but I would prefer it.

TRENDING THREADS