• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 274 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It appears that those who had Covid and get vaccinated should have long lasting protection to Covid and it's variants for a long time. So this is some good news.

This is a report from a local news station

I shove off for an unusual day of Friday work. I am unable to do my regular Memorial ritual, which involves placing something on a veteran's grave for Memorial Day..I will go instead today and put a little flag and some flowers on some random guy's headstone who fought and died for me,for my country, without ever knowing me,without us being alive at the same time.
I plan to put something extra for the almost 600,000 people who have died from Covid in my country, so Memorial Day has taken on a new and unwanted place in the holiday.
for the Google crowd the cemetery is located on a breathtaking part of San Diego, known by Point Loma. I will ride to Cabrillo National Monument..a place I will never check off my bucket list.
Fort Rosecrans Cemetery will change you,veteran,non vet,American or from another place

Interesting thread about one of the newly arising variants. The good news is that vaccines still perform well against it. The bad news as the graphs show is that areas of low vaccine coverage look really susceptible to local outbreaks. Also, most countries are not as vaccinated as the UK, so it is a big worry for global reasons.

ETA. Also it should be noted, a variant with a higher secondary attack rate as this one presumably has will be more adept at surviving in between seasons as those variations begin to solidify. I suspect a lot of people are going to be dying from COVID needlessly this fall.
View: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995388267810818

Last edited:
Most low intelligence extremists aren't good at analogies. She likely doesn't understand that mask mandates are to protect people while the nazi mandates were to wipe specific people out.

Her basic premise though is selfishness: "my immune system is strong", "I won't get sick", etc. That's great, but as we have discussed here, part of the benefit of a vaccine is making the vaccinated person a dead end for the virus.
Her entire political strategic discourse sounds like it's crafted by a press person of the same intellect as her target constituency: smarter than her and as far below an IQ of 90 as you can get and still speak. That politicians of any sort still think there's currency in ignoring the damage of the Pandemic is alarming, mostly because they are talking to somebody for some kind of impact. Who are those people? Why?

I think this passage exemplifies one of the bigger problems with this discourse.
First, in the early days of the pandemic, nearly every scientist and media figure with any sort of platform assured the world that the pandemic had a natural origin.
There is so much conflation between the notions of genetically engineered virus and potential lab accident. While neither has been truly ruled out by scientists, most of the early talk was minimizing the possibility of the former, while leaving the door open slightly to the latter. That is exemplified by the conclusions of the nature article (March 2020) that we have discussed here frequently. Flash forward and not much has changed based on the newer evidence.

A CNN viewer poll yesterday had lab leak at 74% and natural origin at 26%. Unsurprising given their coverage recently and the fact that lab leak is just easier to understand. I have been told that some prominent virologists are working on a summary of the best evidence for natural origin, a case which hasn't really been broadcasted very well to wider audiences. I will post it when it comes out.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
All the panic spread early on and still on going. Variants are coming! Non-stop panic pushers.
How come it was ok for the media and even people on message boards like this one, to call the variant coming out of India the "Indian Variant"? It's not really ok but it is allowed in the media and social medias.

Reactions: jmdirt
All the panic spread early on and still on going. Variants are coming! Non-stop panic pushers.
How come it was ok for the media and even people on message boards like this one, to call the variant coming out of India the "Indian Variant"? It's not really ok but it is allowed in the media and social medias.
dj answers this below.

I had a discussion with a colleague about this a while back because it wasn't OK to call the original the China virus, but its been OK to call the variants by the name of where they were first discovered/most prevalent. I'm not the correctness approval king, but using location names seems OK to me. Kind of like French Poodle or German Shepard. The problem is that idiots will use that as a reason to harass people who look like they might be from that location. B.1.1.617.6 doesn't mean much, but Texas variant at least tells me where it is, and then other conclusions can be drawn from data in that location.

And now we have yet another Denver Sheriff's deputy publicly challenging the impacts of Covid. He's got 'munity and you telling him about masks can't stop an uppercut....
He kept saying that right up to dying of Covid at 33.
This is nothing to cheer about on way way too many levels. Young guy, everything in front of him.
And as we were told many many many months ago,that after the initial roll out,community involvement,taking the shots to the arms rather than the other way around would be critical. All the while,community leaders..in churches,coaches, actors, athletes,family doctors,politicians,and first responders..those are just a few of the sub sets that were anticipated to step up and lead by example...
people are complicated structures and I don't know what order things play out in the end..but many first responders make the ultimate sacrifice while answering the call of duty,rather than die trying to make a personal point contradicting their sworn oath.
in a case like this you need to wonder if he told people in a professional capacity to wear a seatbelt,drive drunk,do drugs,beat your wife and kids,bring guns to school,leave loaded weapons around kids ,J-walk.ect..all things that have sound, proven science behind behavior modification..h
There was a time when I never ever ever even questioned if people wanted to get Polio,TB, mumps,ect.that time has passed..

Reactions: jmdirt