• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 275 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IMO, it makes perfect sense to require vaccination to keep the campus as SC2 free as possible. If you don't want to get vaccinated, go to a different school.
While I agree with you I think half of the country doesn't agree with us. Where is the middle ground?
As a boy in Arizona,there were absolutes. Vaccine records for entry to school,same for camp, physical by a doctor for Pop Warner football..no if ands or buts about it..

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
While I agree with you I think half of the country doesn't agree with us. Where is the middle ground?
As a boy in Arizona,there were absolutes. Vaccine records for entry to school,same for camp, physical by a doctor for Pop Warner football..no if ands or buts about it..

I'm in this camp as well. In NC the NC university system isn't requiring the Covid vaccine for being on campus in the fall, while Duke U is requiring anyone who is on campus to be vaccinated. As once we move we're actually going to be living close to Duke I'm very happy about this. (Durham is also one of the cities that has a vaccination rate of over 50% in NC, so there's that as well).

The reliance of the UK on mostly one vaccine (AZ) and the long period between the first and second shots seems to start causing problems now:

Several EU countries have already made entry to British travelers more restrictive, because after the British variant, the UK is now also a source of the Indian variant.

Reactions: jmdirt
That's a good question. I think that the middle ground got bombed and it will take a long time to repair. I think that many are anti vax just to prove a point. I will be curious to see how many of the "the vaccine was developed too fast" people come around and get vaccinated.

I thought that this was interesting. The effect of COVID on Flu transmission has been well documented, but I was not aware of this potential benefit to flu vaccination. However, I would add that the talk of the demise of certain strains is probably premature, but it bears watching.

Update Germany: 44% vaccinated 1 time, 19% fully.
The incidence numbers have been going down rapidly, so in my area everything has opened within the last three days - so rapidly that I need some time to adjust, actually. Last week nothing was open or allowed, now almost everything's open and allowed (you still need to wear masks in shops, but that's almost about it). I think that's too fast, because if the numbers go up this week again, it won't be long before everything will be closed again.
Hopefully the vaccination rate really helps to keep the numbers down.
Guys! I am going to go swimming soon! The weather starts to get a little bit better, too, so I will try to rent some SUP boards as well, although they are ridiculously expensive around here! This is a very strange world... All these people in the city without masks... I feel naked without a mask... (Oh my god, people can see my mouth!) I live close to a lot of pubs, so I see all those people sitting outside, eating, drinking, chatting... I mean, it's good as long as they sit outside, I think, but it's a weird feeling and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it by now. But hey, you can actually meet with two other households!

Now, about Japan and the Olympics - I don't know if this is too political, if it is please remove it, but I really liked this article:

Sputnik vaccination is about to start in Slovakia. First day of registration there were registered fewer than three thousand people. There is ordered two millions vaccines. 200k is already in Slovakia. There is generally low interest here but this is joke. There was government crisis whole march because of Sputnik.

• Wow
Reactions: dusty red roads
Update Germany: 44% vaccinated 1 time, 19% fully.
The incidence numbers have been going down rapidly, so in my area everything has opened within the last three days - so rapidly that I need some time to adjust, actually. Last week nothing was open or allowed, now almost everything's open and allowed (you still need to wear masks in shops, but that's almost about it). I think that's too fast, because if the numbers go up this week again, it won't be long before everything will be closed again.
Hopefully the vaccination rate really helps to keep the numbers down.
Guys! I am going to go swimming soon! The weather starts to get a little bit better, too, so I will try to rent some SUP boards as well, although they are ridiculously expensive around here! This is a very strange world... All these people in the city without masks... I feel naked without a mask... (Oh my god, people can see my mouth!) I live close to a lot of pubs, so I see all those people sitting outside, eating, drinking, chatting... I mean, it's good as long as they sit outside, I think, but it's a weird feeling and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it by now. But hey, you can actually meet with two other households!

Now, about Japan and the Olympics - I don't know if this is too political, if it is please remove it, but I really liked this article:

The number with the first dose is helpful as that means those people do have some protection.

Enjoy swimming. We went to the beach on Friday, but the ocean is not yet warm enough to swim in yet. (Gulf stream is close to the coast here.)

It really strains belief to see how much a story of 3 people being sick in the middle of cold and flu season merits suspicion. With the worst of the pandemic over for most of the country, CNN has been leading with these dubious origin stories for the last couple days. This morning, they at least gave a longer introduction showing how this story has been pushed from the start by people with really unsavory motivations. As I've stated from early in the pandemic, there is little to suggest that a lab leak was the origin. I think that is the consensus of people who work with these viruses, they just never show up on TV to correct the journalists who no doubt find it easier to believe/ talk about lab leak.

View: https://twitter.com/macroliter/status/1397159551795859463

These conspiracy theorists always fail to mention that the WIV had over 1,000 staff employed. I'm guessing headlines like "Less than 0.3% of staff came down with the flu during flu season" probably won't attract too many clicks.

There’s a paper by Garry et al. that presents quite persuasive evidence against a lab-leak origin and in favour of a natural origin:
Early appearance of two distinct genomic lineages of SARS-CoV-2 in different Wuhan wildlife markets suggests SARS-CoV-2 has a natural origin - SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus - Virological

“Lab Leak scenarios are inconsistent with several established facts regarding the origin of SARS-CoV-2. The majority of early cases were linked to different markets that sold wildlife or wildlife products in Wuhan. All theories of the origin of SARS-CoV-2 must account for the linkage to different market engaged in wildlife trade. Theories on SARS-CoV-2 must also account for the fact that two distinct lineages of SARS-CoV-2 were distributed at different Wuhan wildlife markets. Scenarios where an infected laboratory worker, an escaped lab animal or faulty waste disposal spread not one but two lineages of SARS-CoV-2 specifically to different wildlife markets are difficult to rationalize.”

Shows the importance of testing efficacy in real-world conditions. This vaccine was initially frowned upon due to its "low" efficacy of 50.4% - 70%, but which was from small sample size tests in high-risk health care workers. Real-world efficacy now seems to be at least 86-95% in Brazil, and 95-98% in Indonesia, which is well in line with other FDA approved vaccines.

These conspiracy theorists always fail to mention that the WIV had over 1,000 staff employed. I'm guessing headlines like "Less than 0.3% of staff came down with the flu during flu season" probably won't attract too many clicks.

There’s a paper by Garry et al. that presents quite persuasive evidence against a lab-leak origin and in favour of a natural origin:
Early appearance of two distinct genomic lineages of SARS-CoV-2 in different Wuhan wildlife markets suggests SARS-CoV-2 has a natural origin - SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus - Virological

“Lab Leak scenarios are inconsistent with several established facts regarding the origin of SARS-CoV-2. The majority of early cases were linked to different markets that sold wildlife or wildlife products in Wuhan. All theories of the origin of SARS-CoV-2 must account for the linkage to different market engaged in wildlife trade. Theories on SARS-CoV-2 must also account for the fact that two distinct lineages of SARS-CoV-2 were distributed at different Wuhan wildlife markets. Scenarios where an infected laboratory worker, an escaped lab animal or faulty waste disposal spread not one but two lineages of SARS-CoV-2 specifically to different wildlife markets are difficult to rationalize.”

If the Chinese authorities had been totally open and willing to share all their data with researchers from the beginning on instead of delaying, having to be pressed and still not being very transparent that would have helped to believe them.
Could well be they have whatever other reasons for that, but it's a very bad outlook and doesn't engage trust.

There are a few things that are so old school,so completely un- thought out..but I am still not surprised at this point..if we are headed for vaccine passports..the US..is in a Jason Bourne movie..mandates for vaccinations..the ID for proof of vaccination..a plain paper..black and white 3×5 card that had how to videos for forged cards in the dozens early on. A few arrests including a bar owner that was selling fake vac ID cards for $20-30 dollars.
with no national data base, a vaccine passport system based on an honor system was always doomed. To think of fake documents makes me dizzy..in San Diego right now if it took you an hour start to finish to get vaccinated and the card,that would be a long time..bars,parks,ballgames asking for ID,so I see the motivation to have one,I am disgusted that people would work so hard for a fake..

To get a visa for China, you currently need to be inoculated with a Chinese vaccine. Which is of course not possible for almost any 'Western' nation. For some reason, they haven't greenlighted other vaccines yet.

Meanwhile, Bahrein has decided to offer Pfizer/BioNTech for third shots after two Sinopharm vaccinations. I think that the mRNA vaccines are clearly the future.

TRENDING THREADS