• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 285 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dirt posted a few days ago about his utter astonishment..people covered in tattooing..many parts of their bodies pierced..but claim to have a deep suspicion,of fear of a Covid vaccine needle..a mass effort to go as grass roots as door to door appeal..to basically beg those who are afraid of whatever about the vaccination to ..get it..

It has been portrayed in the United States as a live and let live approach to vaccination..if you want it get it,if not that's your prerogative..but as the variants are proving out..that's just not true...if you go unvaccinated to whatever degree you are a super spreader transport vessel..
there is no neutral..no middle ground

Even though the national numbers in the US continue to trend downward, we are starting to see a reversal in places like Arkansas and Mississippi. I don't think it will end up being that serious in comparison to the other US outbreaks, but the combination of few restrictions, incautious people, AC weather, and lower vaccination rates will make the sunbelt a prime area for localized covid issues. And there will be plenty of COVID left for the fall to hit those who aren't vaccinated. Virologist Christian Drosten mentioned on a recent podcast that people will ultimately either get the vaccine or the virus.
Exactly what I was worrying about. COVID is starting to be a problem again in Mississippi.

View: https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1414666104606179329

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
Just above I posted about the major health care providers in the area requiring employees (and others who do business with them...vendors, contractors...) to get vaccinated by set dates. All of the local news has been very "GET VACCINTED", but they are reporting on the health care vaccine requirement in an odd way IMO. Most of the story lines are something like: "Opinions split: vaccination of health care employees". By definition, true, they are 'split', but about 80%-10%-10%. To me the line implies a more even split. The local news I watch interviewed a very rotund man with a vape 'appliance' clearly visible in his pocket. He said that because it is an 'emergency use drug' he is not going to get it until it has 3 to 5 years of data.
1-He is unable to attend to his own personal health (overweight/high % body fat, vaper...), but he's an expert on health/safety?
2-The difference between emergency use and full approval isn't in 'years' its in quantity of data (there are 'treatments' for other things that are fully approved with much less data (over 6, 8, 10 years) than we have for the two main SARS-CoV-2 vaccines in the USA).
3-I don't know what his job is, but at one point he indicated that he doesn't work directly with patients (lab, IT, maintenance...?). This facility has a back access road that is a great cut through to miss a busy intersection on my bike so I cut through frequently. There is always a group of heavy people in scrubs on a smoke break. My point isn't to pick on overweight/high % body fat people or smokers, but interviewing these people about health/safety...??? I also don't know what those people do. Hopefully they are just bed pan monitors who don't actually have health/medical training.

They did get a short soundbite from the head doc of the facility about why they are requiring vaccines, but IMO it wasn't equal to the "poor employee" bit.

IMO, health care facilities should require vaccination. Yes, there will be patients coming in because they have SARS-CoV-2, and patients coming in for other reasons who have SC2, but the people who are working there day in and day out should be dead ends for the virus, not potential spreaders.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
An outbreak in Mississippi is total of 400 -500 cases in a couple of days. When you are averaging 170 cases a day that is a major change. But you originally posted that they would have a reversal back a month ago.

Take a look at the numbers posted the past 2 days.

Note: what is the demographics of vax hesitancy in Mississippi? around 37.7 percent of the population fall into that catagory. Good luck on changing their minds with the message board.

The 7 day average was lowest on 6/14 with 84 and has been going up ever since. The people who don't want the vaccine can enjoy the virus instead. I have little sympathy for the unvaccinated adults in the US like this ER nurse.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/chris_notcapn/status/1414372926007164929
I don't want people to die, but man, they've had every opportunity yet they resist...at what price...their life?!...and possibly the lives of others?!

How many of the same people would refuse cancer treatment?

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I don't want people to die, but man, they've had every opportunity yet they resist...at what price...their life?!...and possibly the lives of others?!

How many of the same people would refuse cancer treatment?
There were some protests at Slovakia borders. Mostly anti vaxers because there are different rules for vaccinated and non vaccinated. Some man was telling reporter he will rather die by virus than by the vaccine. My mom is asking casually her friends in senior age if they are vaccinated. I know at least three people who telled her no. Why are you waiting? I dont know. They are not anti they are waiting or have low confidence in medicine generally. Will be nasty here. When I see what Delta is doing in west Europe...they have not owerhelmed healthcare systems at least. But here with 40 % of unvaccinated seniors will be way worse. I hate it but it will be another lockdown by august, september.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
The 7 day average was lowest on 6/14 with 84 and has been going up ever since. The people who don't want the vaccine can enjoy the virus instead. I have little sympathy for the unvaccinated adults in the US like this ER nurse.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/chris_notcapn/status/1414372926007164929
People don't get the Flu vax every year and die.

Keep looking at those averages and get back when they go back down? I doubt it, in my opinion people want to spread panic about covid. From the beginning it has been that way. Remember back 2 million dead in the USA before jan 2021 etc etc etc.

• Haha
Reactions: movingtarget
Only in the USA can 900,000 people die from COVID and there still be people that accuse others of spreading 'panic about covid'. Without the vaccines, I just shudder at what delta would've done here. Still plenty of time for people to get vaccinated. The numbers are rising a lot places, but from a relatively low starting point. However, fall is going to be pretty bad for a lot of people who are immunologically naive (i.e. no vaccine or prior infection). In June, every single person who died of COVID in Maryland (N=130) was unvaccinated. They also made up 95% of cases and 93% of hospitalizations.

Only in the USA can 900,000 people die from COVID and there still be people that accuse others of spreading 'panic about covid'. Without the vaccines, I just shudder at what delta would've done here. Still plenty of time for people to get vaccinated. The numbers are rising a lot places, but from a relatively low starting point. However, fall is going to be pretty bad for a lot of people who are immunologically naive (i.e. no vaccine or prior infection). In June, every single person who died of COVID in Maryland (N=130) was unvaccinated. They also made up 95% of cases and 93% of hospitalizations.

Yes, alarming that more than 600,000 people in the USA and 4 million world wide have died of SARS-CoV-2 and people still say: "see there was nothing to worry about", "it was blow out of proportion".

"People don't get the Flu vax every year and die. " I agree, people should get the flu vaccine, but at least the seasonal flu (~35,000 a year in the USA) is nowhere near as deadly as SARS-CoV-2.

I think that there needs to be more basic understanding about "getting the virus/catching the virus". A vaccine doesn't prevent a virus from entering your body. If we are exposed to a virus, we 'get' it, then our immune system goes to work. If we received a vaccine our body will likely have a much 'better' (quicker, stronger, precise...) response. Obviously our immune system determines if we are asymptomatic (maybe never know we even "got" it), on a ventilator in an ICU, or something in between.

The way people talk I get the impression that they think a vaccine is a magic force field that keeps viruses out of our body. Its not.

Dirt, I get what you are saying, I follow that w getting consistent,accurate information to @335,000,000 people was always going to be a difficult,full time,24\7 job..without dredging through the cat box we know that didn't happen for over the first year of the Covid pandemic.
For many countries that look a little like the United States, the components again are similar. Rather than think that there is a magic potion available in the vaccine needle..that was never the case..the numbers are there..yes a young pretty girl died..but for the most part in the United States..old people,brown and black, the indigenous have been ravaged..so for those not in those groups the message of why to get the vaccine has not been told in context.
I feel like America as a whole has been subject to a Reefer Madness type scenario were the virus was portrayed in a Ebola, or acid on your skin story..and it's not true. Covid is a Wheel of Unfortunate..most people exposed are,were uneffected..so lots...millions of Americans are still not sure that the virus exists. Sad but that is where we are..Millions..10's of millions of Americans still thinking if there is a virus..for 1000's of reasons,but one for sure was that during 30 second or 2,3 minutes of TV interviews experts,officials didn't have a clear message.
my heart will be forever damaged by the Covid Task Force press conferences..early on they looked to be politically positive..keep printing political capital..but after a few missteps..the go to TV broadcasts were completely cancelled and seen as a political liability..and f-ck public health..
And if things could not have gotten worse..the federal government stated publicly..the responsibility for Covid-19 policy and national,international strategic planning should be done on a town to town basis nationwide..
in many U.S. tiny towns a stray dog or town drunk present a challenge to local government.and the feds said..on top of the stray dog,keep your citizens safe from the virus..
Then and now..that policy..the national strategy of not having a national strategy..was the dream of someone taking a huge hit off a crack pipe..
getting the vaccine has some basic tenants..protect yourself,your family,people in your community..and getting the vaccine also helps you protect strangers,people who you will never know or meet.
but if you don't care about one of all of those,don't get the vaccine and turn on Fox..or OAN..

I just listened to a local epidemiologist talking about adverse reactions. He was careful to point out that he has not worked with any of the cases nor reviewed the them. The first point he made was that of the ~9,000 adverse reactions that have been reported some may have happened anyway. Second, the reason people have adverse reactions is due to their immune response, so if this was their response to the vaccine, their response to the virus very likely would have been worse. He even tells people "yes a small fraction of people will have an undesired reaction to vaccines (not just SARS-CoV-2), but the reaction is likely better than the reaction to the actual disease."

He pointed out the range of reactions that people had who got SC2. Some people only know because they got tested (they weren't sick but were a contact for someone who was), some people got a little sick, some people got really sick, some people were in ICU, some people were on ventilators, some people died. Its all about your immune response. He talked about other factors that influence your immune response (like viral load), but I'm summarizing a 20 minute talk in a couple of short paragraphs.

He also briefly referred to TV commercials for treatments that have a long list of possible side effects. He stressed that with any treatment there could be issues (including death) if a persons body reacts unexpectedly.

EDIT: Similar points to what I made above...probably because I read his feed frequently :)

Last edited:
I think that there needs to be more basic understanding about "getting the virus/catching the virus". A vaccine doesn't prevent a virus from entering your body. If we are exposed to a virus, we 'get' it, then our immune system goes to work. If we received a vaccine our body will likely have a much 'better' (quicker, stronger, precise...) response. Obviously our immune system determines if we are asymptomatic (maybe never know we even "got" it), on a ventilator in an ICU, or something in between.

The way people talk I get the impression that they think a vaccine is a magic force field that keeps viruses out of our body. Its not.

I hate the argument which I hear quite a lot. You can get it even with vaccine and spread it with vaccine so why I should get vaccine? Because it is about probability which is much less with vaccine. Some people really lack common sense and logical and mathematical thinking...

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Today I was out of town doing some work and basically cleaning up some stores. Will do the rest of those stores on Friday (tomorrow finishing up my own stores with ads). The city I live in (military town) has a vaccination rate a little over 20% at this point, the surrounding areas it's below to well below that number. In the city I live in there are still a decent number of people wearing masks (up to 50% of people depending on which store and what day of the week). The stores I was in today almost no one was wearing masks at all. If my husband wasn't still struggling with health issues I may not wear the mask all the time as I am currently still doing. (He's still having major issues and the doctors are really confused about what's going on. He'd started to get better and now he's getting worse. He's got another CT scan next week and then another doctors appointment and they are trying to get another biopsy scheduled. Biopsy for something different than the last one. They think there is another issue going on that they haven't found yet.

TRENDING THREADS