• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 305 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
In 40+ yrs of lifting at various gyms I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that. This goes back to my intial lifting days in HS & college football (late 70s) up through to the present day. I did 10 yrs of competitive bodybuilding & powerlifting back in the 1980s at a real dump of a gym that was exclusively for hardcore bodybuilders. The owner, a thirtysomething struggling bodybuilder, lived in a little room in the back of gym. He couldn't afford custodial staff & he never bothered cleaning the joint himself. This was a real cesspool for germs and I was surprised I've never got any bacterial infections. Lol. Nowadays, the gym I'm at is state of the art in equipment, locker room facilities & aquatics area. Plus the staff wipes down & sanitizes the equipment still every hour or so (Covid protocol upon re-opening). The gym is actually more sanitized than my home. Lol.
Same here with gyms. I have never caught anything and especially not ringworm from a gym. But if I had caught ringworm not to fear ivermectin was available.

• Haha
Reactions: Ultrairon
This is exactly on point..influenza vaccine @flu shot..exact parallels..highly contagious, all same preventive measures apply, social distance,stay home when sick,wash your hands,wear a mask and like Covid..Flu is deadly,kills and hospitalized 1000's every year..and like Covid, the yearly evolution of the flu shot covers you for lots of variants but not all..and getting the flu shot has shown conclusively to lesson the severity and duration if you become sick..
Flu or Covid vaccines are currently not required anywhere to enter K-12 education that I am aware of as the post( I did look)
Lots of great back and forth about Covid compliance compelled by federal decree..all I have seen so far summarized..those opposed to the vaccine say that the reasoning is not scientific,based in fact, current conditions. history..instead the majority answer " just because ".
You will probably see something similar in the scheduled government dissatisfaction protest scheduled for the capital in Washington D.C...a bunch of issues mixed together.no focus..but one thing is absolutely certain,undeniably clear..Covid vaccines had nothing to do with murdering a police officer on January 6th..and as you listen to the twisted logic..slaughtering a duty bound,proud,patriotic cop is selectively omitted..as a vet..I fume watching vaccine mandates included in a puffy protest that should show respect for the fallen..unforgettable,unforgivable
I hope along with other important vaccines our children get before attending school..a common sense,shared purpose vaccine is fast- tracked and they get it in the delivery room

Reactions: jmdirt
My country being run into the ground by people who live by medical and cultural norms from Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith ,Mayberry..wake up and smell the catfood!!! Get vaccinated already!! I am starting to think that knocking off people who are on the fence is the only way forward..Can't wait until a Fox news host says indoor plumbing is not all that..or safety glass,seatbelts are for sissies

In 40+ yrs of lifting at various gyms I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that. This goes back to my intial lifting days in HS & college football (late 70s) up through to the present day. I did 10 yrs of competitive bodybuilding & powerlifting back in the 1980s at a real dump of a gym that was exclusively for hardcore bodybuilders. The owner, a thirtysomething struggling bodybuilder, lived in a little room in the back of gym. He couldn't afford custodial staff & he never bothered cleaning the joint himself. This was a real cesspool for germs and I was surprised I've never got any bacterial infections. Lol. Nowadays, the gym I'm at is state of the art in equipment, locker room facilities & aquatics area. Plus the staff wipes down & sanitizes the equipment still every hour or so (Covid protocol upon re-opening). The gym is actually more sanitized than my home. Lol.
I've had similar back-history without issue at gyms until this incident. It was a David Barton gym (now bankrupt) and had the best of everything until their finances created an air of neglect. Their "staff" spent most of their time working with fee-paying private clients and selling testosterone patches to them. It would have been comical if I wasn't paying for it and, although the place wasn't overcrowded; the maintenance in bathrooms was particularly disturbing for a "nice" place. Anyway...this is off track for Covid.

Isn't satire supposed to be funny?

The problem with COVID is that things that should be satire are too often true. Neither of those two look 'healthy' to me and now they leave behind orphaned children.

View: https://twitter.com/stdojo/status/1438850566621306888
And immediately there is a retreat to Gofundme to deal with the financial outfall. Hopefully their kids will find a life after this.
Skeptics with no brain, no clue, no plan.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Isn't satire supposed to be funny?

The problem with COVID is that things that should be satire are too often true. Neither of those two look 'healthy' to me and now they leave behind orphaned children.

View: https://twitter.com/stdojo/status/1438850566621306888
They were battling FAT well before Covid. Which tells me that they should have been vaxed.

But it is poor form for folks to be celebrating the death of anyone.

Last edited:

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
My country being run into the ground by people who live by medical and cultural norms from Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith ,Mayberry..wake up and smell the catfood!!! Get vaccinated already!! I am starting to think that knocking off people who are on the fence is the only way forward..Can't wait until a Fox news host says indoor plumbing is not all that..or safety glass,seatbelts are for sissies
There will always be people who will not get vax for one reason or another. While the flu is not as dangerous it still is something you should get every year. The break away for me is when you suggest killing people for not taking a vax.
That is exactly what I would expect from things that were going on in the late 30's and 40's. Congrats.

I guess you missed the reference to sitting on the fence and being shoved off..not offed..capped..my preference would be testing for citizen value rating..w points deducted for things like taking headlice or malaria meds for Covid..additional points subtracted for getting medical advice from reality show and podcast hosts..more points chopped off for yelling at service workers about mask policy..additional subtraction for not getting the vaccine..-100 points if you ever attended an anti vax,anti mask rally. 50 more points chopped off if you made a sign,got a t-shirt or bumper sticker.-25 for a pro virus yard sign..any citizen having a negative 100-150 be placed on birth control,have pets and guns removed from the house for 1 year minimum..put on no fly list. Have daytime driving privileges suspended..have a government installed dunce cap w propeller on top that is also a tracking device..I also think that they should have their hair died..white or black and smoke 40 clove cigarettes per day and have that supervised through video certainly conference.
There is a pretty big list ..this is just a partial..
But remember the root of this rant and my utter rage will be some confused puss filled human vessel holding a sign about anything Covid at a celebration rally for a police officer killing..the two shall be mixed..there is nothing I can do other than bich..and that's just to vent..and 100's will go to a rally about vaccines driving past dozens of places to get the shot for free..
I think I want to go on a group ride were everyone except me has downtube shifters and bar end review mirrors..and then maybe a single track mountain bike ride with 100 bikes in front of me ,everyone using for straps and caged pedals..just so I can suffer this going back in time terrible phenomenon

I guess you missed the reference to sitting on the fence and being shoved off..not offed..capped..my preference would be testing for citizen value rating..w points deducted for things like taking headlice or malaria meds for Covid..additional points subtracted for getting medical advice from reality show and podcast hosts..more points chopped off for yelling at service workers about mask policy..additional subtraction for not getting the vaccine..-100 points if you ever attended an anti vax,anti mask rally. 50 more points chopped off if you made a sign,got a t-shirt or bumper sticker.-25 for a pro virus yard sign..any citizen having a negative 100-150 be placed on birth control,have pets and guns removed from the house for 1 year minimum..put on no fly list. Have daytime driving privileges suspended..have a government installed dunce cap w propeller on top that is also a tracking device..I also think that they should have their hair died..white or black and smoke 40 clove cigarettes per day and have that supervised through video certainly conference.
There is a pretty big list ..this is just a partial..
But remember the root of this rant and my utter rage will be some confused puss filled human vessel holding a sign about anything Covid at a celebration rally for a police officer killing..the two shall be mixed..there is nothing I can do other than bich..and that's just to vent..and 100's will go to a rally about vaccines driving past dozens of places to get the shot for free..
I think I want to go on a group ride were everyone except me has downtube shifters and bar end review mirrors..and then maybe a single track mountain bike ride with 100 bikes in front of me ,everyone using for straps and caged pedals..just so I can suffer this going back in time terrible phenomenon
When the morbidly obese man riding the mobility scooter with a basket full of little debbies and pork rinds says that the unvaccinated, mask-less shoppers are putting his life in danger, I have zero sympathy. I also have zero sympathy for the pickers above. They've all made their choices. As to mandates, while I am vaccinated, and encourage my employees to get vaccinated, I would not enforce government mandates if they applied to us. I am pro choice when it comes to the reproductive rights of women, and I am pro choice when it comes to vaccines. How many points do I lose?

• Haha
The two large healthcare systems here have relaxed/pushed back their vaccine mandates because they are short of employees. That makes sense from a staffing position, but doesn't make sense from a health position. "We have enough nurses now, but they keep giving SARS-CoV-2 to the patients". At the current rate though, the only patients in the hospitals will already have SC2 I guess.

Another example of peoples' liberty smashing others health: my sister in-laws friend who has a congenital heart issue that she has controlled through meds and surgeries for 60 years had a surgery scheduled to replace the ICD in her chest, but she was told today that her surgery is cancelled indefinitely. The lady with breast cancer who I typed about that had her surgery postponed was told that she likely won't be rescheduled this year. She's searching other options obviously.

The two large healthcare systems here have relaxed/pushed back their vaccine mandates because they are short of employees. That makes sense from a staffing position, but doesn't make sense from a health position. "We have enough nurses now, but they keep giving SARS-CoV-2 to the patients". At the current rate though, the only patients in the hospitals will already have SC2 I guess.

Another example of peoples' liberty smashing others health: my sister in-laws friend who has a congenital heart issue that she has controlled through meds and surgeries for 60 years had a surgery scheduled to replace the ICD in her chest, but she was told today that her surgery is cancelled indefinitely. The lady with breast cancer who I typed about that had her surgery postponed was told that she likely won't be rescheduled this year. She's searching other options obviously.

This is an example of why I believe all hospitals must be required to set aside a percentage of beds for non Covid patients. Thankfully the hospitals in Raleigh/Durham currently have space available. Right now it appears that the 3 major hospitals in Raleigh/Durham (Duke, UNC, and WakeMed) all have beds available and some ICU units available. He had a surgery to remove a lymph node today. They are going to run a ton of tests and once they get results formulate a plan. There are doctors from multiple departments working on this. There are hospitals in other parts of NC that have higher Covid patient rates than the Raleigh/Durham area has.

Last edited:
I have some mild covid symptoms last couple of hours. I have mild headache, some stomach cramps and probably fever. Need to chceck it when I will come home. Then need to go to some testing. We will see. I feel similar as when I got my first AZ shot.

Update: I had negative antigen test and syptoms are almost gone. Will isolate myself couple of days and will continue my life :D

Last edited:
When the morbidly obese man riding the mobility scooter with a basket full of little debbies and pork rinds says that the unvaccinated, mask-less shoppers are putting his life in danger, I have zero sympathy. I also have zero sympathy for the pickers above. They've all made their choices. As to mandates, while I am vaccinated, and encourage my employees to get vaccinated, I would not enforce government mandates if they applied to us. I am pro choice when it comes to the reproductive rights of women, and I am pro choice when it comes to vaccines. How many points do I lose?
I share many of your concerns about the great amount of citizens that don't practice any self-restraint. They have little consideration for their own health habits while whining about the rights and protections they feel they're denied through challenges of their own making.
As long as your make your policies known for your employees, along with advance sympathetic condolences for their families for any adverse impact: you should be OK. I'm serious about those declarations to employees so all Family Stakeholders get to weigh in on the choices family members make.
BUT:
As for a former employer...ignoring government mandates is a policy you might review with your insurers and Dept of Labor and Industries. They may say: "Have at it. Liability policy is terminated and have a good day". Then, the attorney representing the kids of former employees will explore your corporate/personal asset status and pursue whatever they can. It's not just a simple, personal ethical choice when you hire folks, create a working environment and let them work with sharp tools without safety measures. That is the corporate problem that will not be willed away by short term Presidential executive orders waiving corporate liability; if that would still be a viable defense now that Covid's history is well documented.

This is an example of why I believe all hospitals must be required to set aside a percentage of beds for non Covid patients. Thankfully the hospitals in Raleigh/Durham currently have space available. Right now it appears that the 3 major hospitals in Raleigh/Durham (Duke, UNC, and WakeMed) all have beds available and some ICU units available. He had a surgery to remove a lymph node today. They are going to run a ton of tests and once they get results formulate a plan. There are doctors from multiple departments working on this. There are hospitals in other parts of NC that have higher Covid patient rates than the Raleigh/Durham area has.
Both of the big hospitals here do have beds for non SC2 who are going to die if they don't receive immediate care (I don't know the number/percent). Stage 2B breast cancer and ICD replacement don't meet the criteria to get one of those beds...yet. What if she dies of a heart attack in November? What if her breast cancer progresses and therefore affects her life even more or kills her? One of the system managers said that ventilators are part of the problem (not enough? not enough staff to monitor? not enough rooms? I didn't read the interview yet).

*I haven't read this anywhere for confirmation, but a guy at work said that the largest hospital here has set aside one floor of the hospital for emergency non-SC2 care. That probably still doesn't include the two ladies I've typed about above.

*There is an oncology practice here that is still just doing that because 1) they aren't emergency care doctors, 2) there is huge need for oncological care. They have about 8X patients than they did in 2019.

*The reproductive clinic of the largest hospital is business as usual though (is that critical care?!).

*A large medical imaging center is struggling because doctors aren't seeing, therefore sending, patients.

EDIT: I'm being a little more cautious on my dirt rides because if I need emergency care, I'm not sure what my fate will be.

EDIT: BSU announced yesterday that proof of vaccination or a recent negative test are required for entrance into the game tonight...the clinics on and near campus are a little busy this morning.

EDIT 3: Part of the problem isn't beds or space, but a lack of qualified people to provide care.

EDIT 4 (how many edits can I do?!): I just want to be clear that I'm not 'blaming' the healthcare providers, I'm blaming anti-vax people who ranted about their liberty because they are the ones F#@! other peoples' liberty.

Last edited:
I have some mild covid symptoms last couple of hours. I have mild headache, some stomach cramps and probably fever. Need to chceck it when I will come home. Then need to go to some testing. We will see. I feel similar as when I got my first AZ shot.

Update: I had negative antigen test and syptoms are almost gone. Will isolate myself couple of days and will continue my life :D
I'm glad that you are well! Not to make light of yours or anyone else's symptoms, but my job often results in a headache and gastro issue for me so I wouldn't know a mild case from a regular day (my site is only down a few people, but company wide there are staffing issues that are affecting all of us).

*I'm even debating leaving after 23+ years. I'm not quite old enough to retire, but maybe I'll take an early retirement and figure the rest out when I'm 75 (if I don't make it there I won't have to worry).

Reactions: Keram
Do as I say not as I do:

• Haha
I share many of your concerns about the great amount of citizens that don't practice any self-restraint. They have little consideration for their own health habits while whining about the rights and protections they feel they're denied through challenges of their own making.
As long as your make your policies known for your employees, along with advance sympathetic condolences for their families for any adverse impact: you should be OK. I'm serious about those declarations to employees so all Family Stakeholders get to weigh in on the choices family members make.
BUT:
As for a former employer...ignoring government mandates is a policy you might review with your insurers and Dept of Labor and Industries. They may say: "Have at it. Liability policy is terminated and have a good day". Then, the attorney representing the kids of former employees will explore your corporate/personal asset status and pursue whatever they can. It's not just a simple, personal ethical choice when you hire folks, create a working environment and let them work with sharp tools without safety measures. That is the corporate problem that will not be willed away by short term Presidential executive orders waiving corporate liability; if that would still be a viable defense now that Covid's history is well documented.
Already done, the policy outlines risks for the un-vaccinated and the vaccinated, incentives have been offered, and as is the case with all policies, acceptance is a condition of employment. Interesting note on the insurance, in talking with our carrier they're worried about lawsuits from both sides of the argument, vax vs. non and on both the medical liability and employment fronts. For us, personal feelings about it aside, a mandate would cause the loss of skilled employees, and with the path we've chosen, we haven't lost anyone over our handling of the Covid mess. Since we're under 100 it's a moot point, but in speaking with our attorney and our carrier, the feeling is that between the enforcement problems and the court challenges it will be a huge clusterfuck if companies choose to fight it. Not to make this a political post, the fact that Congress and their staff are exempt from the Federal mandate, and the fact that undocumented immigrants are not required to be vaccinated may come back to haunt the mandate effort. It will definitely be interesting to see it all play out.

• Haha
Already done, the policy outlines risks for the un-vaccinated and the vaccinated, incentives have been offered, and as is the case with all policies, acceptance is a condition of employment. Interesting note on the insurance, in talking with our carrier they're worried about lawsuits from both sides of the argument, vax vs. non and on both the medical liability and employment fronts. For us, personal feelings about it aside, a mandate would cause the loss of skilled employees, and with the path we've chosen, we haven't lost anyone over our handling of the Covid mess. Since we're under 100 it's a moot point, but in speaking with our attorney and our carrier, the feeling is that between the enforcement problems and the court challenges it will be a huge clusterfuck if companies choose to fight it. Not to make this a political post, the fact that Congress and their staff are exempt from the Federal mandate, and the fact that undocumented immigrants are not required to be vaccinated may come back to haunt the mandate effort. It will definitely be interesting to see it all play out.
Your thoroughness is super thoughtful and sounds like an ethical and practical way forward. IMO the liability issues will play out in the decade to come as precedents emerge that pay an attorney to troll them.
The part that will no doubt enrage both sides in the future: Qualification for Medicare disability for people who knowingly and willingly avoided taking preventative measures, mostly as a political gesture. Should they be eligible for long term income because they can't work? It's not much different than the individuals I've seen in the construction industry that care little about their health and look for ways to game the system for a leisure paycheck X a million people.

TRENDING THREADS