• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 307 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bad (sub) headline! I've seen that quite a bit this weekend. The decision isn't a 'blow' to Biden or anyone else. Also very important to point out, this could change in a month, two, five...with new/more data.

I agree the headline is bad. The way I read it is that boosters are approved for 65 and over and for those who are immune compromised and it sounded like health care workers.

Reactions: jmdirt
I agree the headline is bad. The way I read it is that boosters are approved for 65 and over and for those who are immune compromised and it sounded like health care workers.
....which should be the logical sequential re-issue of the first vaccine eligibilities. It would seem important that any boosters have been adjusted to deal with the new variants to be of much use, or am I oversimplifying the intent?

What did I say about satire?
View: https://twitter.com/bhrenton/status/1439938077246509058

I'm happy that the FDA is doing its job. No doubt I don't worry too much about the masks. Its the hypocrisy of it all that makes me shake my head. Few folks who have been vaccinated still feel the need for further protection. Eventually as you say life will be just fine if someone does or does not wear a mask or get the vax.

It is odd the victory dance that was seemingly taking place when these non covid vaxed pass away from covid. The non vaxed could turn around and start posting up stories about deaths of the vaxed. Not a good look at all yet it is done here and given the thumbs up. "some" here are doing just that.
I think we can safely subdivide these groups. People like Carlson and Berenson and others who promote this disinformation to a large audience and people within that audience have massively different culpability. The latter are mostly victims in this and deserve a lot of sympathy. The grifters who enrich themselves off this toxic con deserve little IMO. The world is better off without them (also IMO).

Why are the government rationing regen monoclonal antibody treatments. Are they just punishing states or is there a real reason to do this? Looks and feels political.

"It's not a silver bullet. It's much, much, much more important to be vaccinated. But, in case you're not vaccinated, or even if you have been vaccinated and have a breakthrough infection, earlier in the course of the disease, monoclonal antibodies can help reduce the viral load and reduce the risk of hospitalization up to 70%," said Dr. Felipe Lobelo, epidemiologist with Kaiser Permanente Georgia. "
most of what you are posting is correct,but often incomplete..masks at a marathon? Madness for sure and completely impractical. But masks work..they work for lots of stuff herpes,paint dust,flu,Covid,orbital sander discharge..during surgery,dental appointment, and in the context of these latest events..they keep you from spitting on someone and filter a measurable amount of spit ,face droplet discharge from others..are they a fix all? No..but cheap,available,effective alternative while we wait for the herd immunity,death,vaccination confluence which looks to be a long way off, using Mississippi as latest example of epic,hand to the head fail..or floundering Florida..or turned upside down Texas..
But the thing that you often don't factor..population,size of the country,mobility..not only from interstate commerce and other travel but airport frequency in our country..landing and departing international germ tubes by the hour..
The message that wasn't given from the beginning still resonates..until we work together we will lose..that was always the only option then and now..and maybe nobody is asking at the laboratory,but apparently someone should..ask the virus what political party they side with..I am just guessing but Covid will probably not answer

Last edited:
....which should be the logical sequential re-issue of the first vaccine eligibilities. It would seem important that any boosters have been adjusted to deal with the new variants to be of much use, or am I oversimplifying the intent?
I was hoping that dj would reply to you, but...a third shot of the same vaccine will still help your immune system. I doubt that we will see 'adjusted' vaccines this year (or maybe even next year) (for several reasons).

It is true that we are vaccinating against a version of SARS2 that really doesn't exist any more in nature. But it is close enough to delta structurally that it shouldn't matter. Delta is just better at transmitting. I don't think getting delta as the third dose would be that much more beneficial than getting the OG vaccine for the third. This has come up a few times here, but changing the vaccine is not that technically difficult for Moderna and Pfizer, but it has been decided by the regulators that it is not necessary to do... for now. And there does not appear to be a timeline for making that change.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
What did I say about satire?
View: https://twitter.com/bhrenton/status/1439938077246509058

I think we can safely subdivide these groups. People like Carlson and Berenson and others who promote this disinformation to a large audience and people within that audience have massively different culpability. The latter are mostly victims in this and deserve a lot of sympathy. The grifters who enrich themselves off this toxic con deserve little IMO. The world is better off without them (also IMO).
Even that tweet reads like false info with respect to "I believe that played a role"

Was their choice to wait but many waited for FDA approval. Even without those people you refer.

Well we finally have an answer. My husband has Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Don't know what stage (although looking at the descriptions of the stages it's likely late stage 2 or early stage 3). The doctors are working on a plan to treat it.
Just googling very quickly Hodgkin's is supposed to be very treatable, especially in its earlier stages.

At least the docs finally have an answer for you, so hopefully their treatment plan will take.

Just googling very quickly Hodgkin's is supposed to be very treatable, especially in its earlier stages.

At least the docs finally have an answer for you, so hopefully their treatment plan will take.

Yeah, early stages is highly treatable. Even later stages is treatable as long as it's not in the bone marrow. Because of Mario Lemieux I've known about this one for a very long time. They are supposed to be formulating a plan to get him treated and hopefully start the treatment later this week.

And now an unsolicited comment about cancer... just because it's called cancer doesn't mean it'll kill you right away. It's true there are some very aggressive types (of the pancreas, for example, but that's only because it's usually discovered much too late due to lack of specific symptoms), but there are ones where it's not absolutely necessary you start up with treatment right away. Just please be informed of what type of cancer you're dealing with before you get all emotional. And I'm not targeting you specifically, Koronin.

And now please resume with the coronavirus discussion. :)

As I told you some weeks ago, we have an ongoing 'experiment' in Belgium, with the three main jurisdictions having quite distinct vaccination rates. Flanders has about 78% fully vaccinated people (total population), Wallonia ca. 68%, and Brussels only 51%.

Below is a graph with the cases per 100,000 inhabitants per 2 weeks on the Y-axis, and the unvaccinated % of the population on the X-axis. There is a clear trend, and also a clear distinction between the three parts of the country. Also, more restrictions have been upheld in Brussels and partly in Wallonia. So Flanders has the least restrictions, but also the least amount of cases.

Vaccination doesn't help only yourself, it clearly also helps stop covid spread.

22-Sept2021.jpg

As I told you some weeks ago, we have an ongoing 'experiment' in Belgium, with the three main jurisdictions having quite distinct vaccination rates. Flanders has about 78% fully vaccinated people (total population), Wallonia ca. 68%, and Brussels only 51%.

Below is a graph with the cases per 100,000 inhabitants per 2 weeks on the Y-axis, and the unvaccinated % of the population on the X-axis. There is a clear trend, and also a clear distinction between the three parts of the country. Also, more restrictions have been upheld in Brussels and partly in Wallonia. So Flanders has the least restrictions, but also the least amount of cases.

Vaccination doesn't help only yourself, it clearly also helps stop covid spread.

22-Sept2021.jpg
Here is an interesting comparison of the individual states in the USA. The readout is hospitalizations per capita. Sadly, we don't have a 'Flanders', but #1 Vermont and #2 Connecticut are about 70%. #4 Massachusetts is 67%. There are other factors to consider, but so far the higher vaccination states in the Northeast are holding out well. The trends in the midwest are more worrying, but their vaccination levels are closer to Brussels. Wisconsin is 55% and Ohio is 50% for example. Our lowest state is West Virginia at 40% and you can see that reflected in the numbers below as they are the deep purple state in the picture.

View: https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/1440670243215458312

22-Sept2021.jpg

Thanks. This is interesting, informative and makes sense.

Reactions: jmdirt