• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 309 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I ran into an old friend on the trail today (almost literally), and he made a really good point that if the doctors, politicians, media, etc. would have called it the covid shot less people would be scared of it. Vaccine might seem scary, unknown, and political. Obviously there is no way to determine how much that would have helped, but just to throw a number out there, what if 10% more people would have gotten the shot in June and July?

EDIT: I'm going to edit another conversation that may illustrate this point (granted only one anecdotal piece of data): A lady who used to work at my site was standing outside talking with some people the other day and I overheard her say "(husbands name) decided that god doesn't want us to get this vaccine." I didn't find out until the next day that she was at our site to get her flu shot!
You could have framed it in sliding scale reality..when asked if they like Obama care..they say no..when asked if they like the Affordable Care Act..they answer yes not realizing it is the same thing..
also not put into historical context about schools and parents..why are you so extremely opposed to the Covid vaccine when you were close onboard w the 5-8 vaccines needed to get into school?..probably going to go something like..oh yeah, those shots? Or..that was different..or...

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Good news, one of the ladies who I told you about that had her surgery postponed because of the hospital situation here is going in on Thursday to have her ICD replaced. They made this decision because the likelihood of her needing ICU services (especially a ventilator) are miniscule.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I see where one state has obtained their own antibody infusion supply. Why doesn't the treatment get more attention. After all even the us who have had the vax can still get it and need to have some type of effective treatment.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
There is some really good reading material in this thread back a few hundred pages ago. When it was operation warp speed some were saying vax should not have been the priority and treatements should. That was also back when a few of the more frequent posters here said the vax would take 2 years to 5. Almost like magic the opinions changed. Weird / Strange ? Xfiles type stuff.

Reactions: Cookster15

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Examples? I don't think many were saying 5 years.

Personally, I took a lot more interest in vaccines when it was clear from the grapevine that they were going to be effective. That was not obvious in early 2020, but was very predictable by fall 2020.
You can go back and read just like I did. Maybe when I get more time I can go get you some exact examples. So not many were saying 5 years but my point about some good reading stands. LOL

Here are a few

thinking a vaccine is going to do much for this immediate situation is likely a forlorn hope.
why is this admin announcing it will mobilize military to administer, we have no idea if it will ever show up
warp speed chief scientist has too much moderna stock and moderna got money and will not produce a vax.
moderna's time line will not have it ready for distribution until best case mid 2021
moderna has never made that made it to market ever never ever.
expecting moderna to get a vax out is like expecting the poor orioles to win the world series.
after watching lots of interviews with researchers most seem to agree that 12 months would be the absolute minimum for an available vaccine - 2 to 5 years likely.
vaccine overview - with link to a fraud media source that said "why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine" (this person obviously agreed with never not just 5 years)
One person even says that getting the vax first scares them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FrankB
Lol. The one about the Orioles was mine. Moderna did not win the vaccine race, but they did prove me wrong. The RNA vaccines really saved the day. Imagine all the countries fighting over AZ with no alternative. Yikes.

Then you have some vaccine makers like Novavax still struggling to mass produce a product and you have to realize that nothing is a given. We put way too many eggs in the vaccine basket. It just about worked, but no guarantee it will work next time.

Lol. The one about the Orioles was mine. Moderna did not win the vaccine race, but they did prove me wrong. The RNA vaccines really saved the day. Imagine all the countries fighting over AZ with no alternative. Yikes.

Then you have some vaccine makers like Novavax still struggling to mass produce a product and you have to realize that nothing is a given. We put way too many eggs in the vaccine basket. It just about worked, but no guarantee it will work next time.

There is also J&J. But yes, fighting over AZ and J&J would not have good.

I agree that we needed more eggs in the treatment basket. Thankfully it looks like Merck has a possible good treatment in pill form they are working on.

Reactions: jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site

That is true. I still do not understand the polarization of the vax. I believe the media is to blame on most of it. From the begining and now. It is good we don't have only one vax. It would be crazy and bad.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
The pill from Merck might work out. I hope so. The antibody infusions apear to work also.

The infusions due, but by their very nature are harder to manufacture and harder for patients to get. The pill (really hope it works) should be easier to manufacture and much easier for patients to get.

Yes some people who have received the Pfizer vaccine are eligible for the booster shot now.

Japan have some home made drugs in the pipeline too. I'm not sure where this article is from, it was posted on a local forum. Apparently they intend to release domestically first and then internationally once they can ramp up manufacturing. Hopefully the trial results will be good:

Japan's Shionogi aiming to supply COVID-19 drug by end of March 2022

Sep 30, 2021

Shionogi & Co. has said it aims to complete the final-phase clinical trial for its oral COVID-19 drug in December and start supplying it by the end of March next year.

The drugmaker will establish by the end of March 2022 a production system that can make doses of the orally taken medicine for at least 1 million people.

“We want to start delivering our safe oral drug in around January to March” next year, Shionogi President Isao Teshirogi told a news conference on Wednesday.

The new drug, intended for COVID-19 patients with mild or no symptoms, curbs the replication of the coronavirus inside the body. The medicine, when taken once a day for five days in the early stage of infection, is expected to be effective in preventing patients from developing severe symptoms.

On Monday, the company started the final-phase clinical trial, which involves around 2,100 coronavirus patients including those who are hospitalized and those staying at hotels designated as facilities to host COVID-19 patients.

Meanwhile, Shionogi plans to launch in October the final-phase clinical trial in Japan for its COVID-19 vaccine, aiming to have it ready for administration by the end of March next year.

The company will also start trials for its nasal spray vaccine in fiscal 2022, which will start in April next year.

I hope that all of these pills are effective because it could help us get ahead of SARS-CoV-2, but also set us up to be ahead of the next bug that hits us.

Like I replied before too, pills are much easier to get into less than ideal medical conditions in many parts of the world.