• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 315 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Neither are on a dramatic decline. 2500 died yesterday. Numbers are going up in a lot of places now. I worry a lot more about the Midwest than new england.

So the CDC numbers are wrong? The CDC is lying ? Sounds familiar but I would not expect that type of conspiracy numbers to be posted here. Granted the missinformation propaganda usa media have taken the case and death counts off the screen. (why is that?)

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailydeaths|new_death|select
From their site it shows the number at 1,765 which is an outlier compared to the previous days. The 7 day moving average is 1,256. Compared to the summer delta height which was 2100 sep 15th with a 7 day moving average of 1832 . That decline when looked at in graph form is dramatic.

The Flemish government will provide the chance of getting a booster shot to every adult. Currently, only the 65+ cohort was getting invited, but this will change.

Despite a vaccination rate of 91.5% for the population 12 years and older (https://www.laatjevaccineren.be/vaccinatieteller), we're now seeing fast-increasing cases and hospitalizations. Data show (in line with data in other countries) that vaccination decreases the probability to end up in hospital with covid 10-fold.

Reactions: jmdirt
After the delta wave faded following the increased vaccination rate of the Danish population, cases are on the rise again since all restrictions have been lifted and significantly so the last week:

Daily confirmed cases

Daily new hospitalisations

___

From a week ago: https://www.sst.dk/-/media/Udgivels...-for-revaccination-mod-COVID-19-i-fase-2.ashx

I think there's two things worth pointing out: 1) children have the greatest incidence (followed by their parents' cohorts), 2) boosters significantly lowered the incidence for the 90+.

T4rQBCr.png

___

From two weeks ago: https://www.sst.dk/-/media/Udgivelser/2021/Smitsomme-sygdomme/25-statusrapport.ashx

Cohorts with the lowest vaccination rate:

8CH9Jxk.png

While the youngest group were the last to be offered vaccination and that (across all groups) prior infection predicts lower vaccination rate, I'm still surprised by the huge gap between elementary school children and high school children. Especially so since one gets vaccinated again at 12 in the regular vaccination program. I also don't get why the program hasn't been expanded more. Surely the vaccine is a clear net benefit for the 12 y.o.'s when they are going to be infected sooner or later, and if so you'd expect that to be the same for the 10 and 11 y.o.'s. It's not like we're lacking doses, and I'd think the marginal social return is greater for first doses for kids than for third doses for adults?

Well posts above shows we shouldnt go back to prepandemic normality just yet even in most vaccinated countries. It saddens me. I am curious with waning imunity problem how long we will go throught this battle with Covid.
Only extremely few additional people are getting vaccinated over the past month. What should we be waiting for? What will more restrictions at this point give us? The virus will stay with us no matter how long we wait to return to normality.

We could impose mandates, I'd be in favour of that, but that has been rejected by the great majority of Danes.

This is how it looks like with packed bars and clubs, no masks anywhere, and children living a normal life. Our collective immunity will increase with new infections, and we'll move towards a scenario where this virus will be just like any other endemic coronavirus. It will pose a risk for those unvaccinated, but there's nothing more we can do for the rest of us that we can maintain for several years or permanently. Like the flu, everyone will sooner or later get infected (unless they die before that), and more than once. It's time to transition to normality, the future is now.

Last edited:
Only extremely few additional people are getting vaccinated over the past month. What should we be waiting for? What will more restrictions at this point give us? The virus will stay with us no matter how long we wait to return to normality.

We could impose mandates, I'd be in favour of that, but that has been rejected by the great majority of Danes.

This is how it looks like with packed bars and clubs, no masks anywhere, and children living a normal life. Our collective immunity will increase with new infections, and we'll move towards a scenario where this virus will be just like any other endemic coronavirus. It will pose a risk for those unvaccinated, but there's nothing more we can do for the rest of us that we can maintain for several years or permanently. Like the flu, everyone will sooner or later get infected (unless they die before that), and more than once. It's time to transition to normality, the future is now.
I mostly agree with you. I think that we have to wait for the health care systems to get to a better place before we go for the "future is now" though. That is regional obviously so the now part will come to places at different times.

I mostly agree with you. We should find new normal with some light restrictions like face masks or green pass. Well you not we. Because if we will do it in Slovakia we will overwhelm healthcare system. But I admit I somehow fear this new surge in WE. Still if hospitalizations will be under control there is no need to end this new normal.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
The Flemish government will provide the chance of getting a booster shot to every adult. Currently, only the 65+ cohort was getting invited, but this will change.

Despite a vaccination rate of 91.5% for the population 12 years and older (https://www.laatjevaccineren.be/vaccinatieteller), we're now seeing fast-increasing cases and hospitalizations. Data show (in line with data in other countries) that vaccination decreases the probability to end up in hospital with covid 10-fold.
There are restrictions here for boosters in name only. We were informed today at work that no one will be asked to provide proof, so anyone who wants one can get one. I am going to get mine early next month when I am eligible.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt

I'm shocked that only 36% of the Russian population is fully vaccinated. I would think in country like Russia, Putin would mandate the vaccine and people that refuse would be sent to a reeducation camp or something like that.

Don't they have the home grown Sputnik V vaccine? How does this stack up against the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines?

Last edited:
Neither are on a dramatic decline. 2500 died yesterday. Numbers are going up in a lot of places now. I worry a lot more about the Midwest than new england.
We were in Boise and then North to Blaine County, Idaho that has the highest vaccination rate in that state. They seem to be taking it seriously everywhere and a friend of a friend who'd avoided prior exposure and vaccination experienced full family infection several months ago. He's now vaccinated as backup to his newly-gained antibodies and is an advocate of those preventions in the face of opposition by other acquaintances. He felt the family was lucky the first time and grateful it didn't get to his elder relatives.
My wife had a negative quick-test today as a job-related requirement after travel. Still with us...

I'm shocked that only 36% of the Russian population is fully vaccinated. I would think in country like Russia, Putin would mandate the vaccine and people that refuse would be sent to a reeducation camp or something like that.

Don't they have the home grown Sputnik V vaccine? How does this stack up against the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines?
I don't think the parasitic kleptocracy of Kremlin suffers from the virus, nor that they would gain anything by such a mandate.

I don't think the parasitic kleptocracy of Kremlin suffers from the virus, nor that they would gain anything by such a mandate.
When some of their own doctors and nurses are publicly stating that they don't trust the Sputnik vaxx..........then there is a problem especially when it comes to convincing the public And their president for a long time for whatever reasons refused to acknowledge whether he was vaxxed at all, and whether it was the local vaxx.........go figure.....now he has admitted he has had the vaxx but refused to say which one........

With delta (R = 7-8) combined with a 92% vaccination rate for those eligible (i.e. 12 or older), what we're seeing now in Flanders is that the virus is spreading like wildfire in young children (< 12). These kids are in classes of usually around 20, but they also have a lot of hobbies, so the number of close contacts is very high. For the first time in the pandemic, these children are now acting like an infection motor. Luckily, the adverse effects for themselves are about zero, and due to the high vaccination rate, the rest of society is doing OK in spite of rapidly rising infection numbers. Still, it poses some problems for example with grandparents getting infected before they get their boosters. I do think the wave will calm down again, once the 65+ have had their boosters (almost all of the vaccinated ending up in hospital are >65).

See https://static.nieuwsblad.be/Assets/Images_Upload/2021/10/25/COV02.svg for a graph)

With delta (R = 7-8) combined with a 92% vaccination rate for those eligible (i.e. 12 or older), what we're seeing now in Flanders is that the virus is spreading like wildfire in young children (< 12). These kids are in classes of usually around 20, but they also have a lot of hobbies, so the number of close contacts is very high. For the first time in the pandemic, these children are now acting like an infection motor. Luckily, the adverse effects for themselves are about zero, and due to the high vaccination rate, the rest of society is doing OK in spite of rapidly rising infection numbers. Still, it poses some problems for example with grandparents getting infected before they get their boosters. I do think the wave will calm down again, once the 65+ have had their boosters (almost all of the vaccinated ending up in hospital are >65).

See https://static.nieuwsblad.be/Assets/Images_Upload/2021/10/25/COV02.svg for a graph)
I'm sure that's what happened to my Grandson several weeks ago. Most of the family are pretty healthy but the Grandparents he was staying with for a long weekend both have heart issues and are vaccinated. They came out fine, fortunately as did the 10 year old. The quarantine period was the toughest part.

It appears Pfizer is close to being approved for children 5-12 soon. It's cleared the first hurdle with the FDA for this.

Now authorised by the FDA. Better late than never, but it has really dragged out. I hope we'll soon vaccinate kids here in Europe too.

Any thoughts on Halloween trick-or-treaters this year?

I have some Halloween decorations out, and I even bought some candy. But because I don't trust the general population I will just leave the candy out in the driveway.

(So kids, or starving cyclists/artists - help yourself to them. I just don't want you anywhere near my front door.)

With my husband's health issues, no.

TRENDING THREADS