• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 320 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The San Diego VA has an automated booster shot text scheduling service. They sent the text,variety of options. 1st opt out.
2nd get a call back
3rd type,yes. and get available dates and a confirmation text when you choose an available date.
Straight forward and easy
They asked me if I wanted tetanus, flu shot and Covid vaccine at my appointment last Wednesday,all available day of..
Didn't offer liposuction,hair transplant,elevator shoes or VO2 max increase,all I would have accepted,or dance lessons which are a medical emergency

Needing dance lessons is a medical emergency? If that's the case I need those as well. :laughing:

On the other hand, VO2 max increase would be great to schedule at the same time.

Reactions: jmdirt
I wonder how to Ultrairon tie this in? What do Aaron Rodgers, Vlad Putin, new Germany government, and the @3\4 of Americans dead have in common? Probably not Fauci..so why would Russia do this to itself?
And why would American health care workers,Doctors,nurses,techs..why would they conspire? Or did they? Are people in the world acting independently? In the interest of their citizens,of their countries? Nah..that would be too realistic,too consistent with human nature..anyway I need to get my tinfoil hat on headed down to the JFK return rally..I heard that Joe Rogan and Aaron are going to make appearances..
this is all so very very hard to believe..and if the human loss numbers are a national report card, what's our grade?
One thing has stuck with me about national priorities,looked at tweets and information from NFL organizations as a body.. Players missing births of children,missing funerals and deaths of loved ones, passing predictably in hospital and hospice..and why? So the player would not miss practice or a game. So where does it all fit? Guys willing to make this level of sacrifice for the game, for their teammates, Where does Rodgers fall on the commitment spectrum?

"One Of Fauci's Top Scientists Opposes Vaccine Mandates,Is Unvaccinated:"

"Dr. Matthew Memoli runs a clinical studies unit at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), the agency headed by Dr. Fauci, and will make the case against vaccine mandates at the NIH event, according to The Wall Street Journal. Memoli has said he supports COVID-19 vaccination in high-risk populations, such as for the elderly or obese, but emailed Fauci on July 30 to say that mandatory vaccination is “extraordinarily problematic.”

"All NIH employees must be vaccinated before a Biden administration deadline on Nov. 22, and 88% of workers at the agency have complied so far. Memoli has applied for a religious exemption and said he is willing to risk his job over the NIH mandate, according to The WSJ."

"Dr. Memoli argues that blanket vaccinations of low-risk communities could harm the development of stronger immunity gained from infection. He is an outlier among NIH doctors and the medical profession at-large, as most doctors recommend getting vaccinated rather than relying solely on natural immunity for protection."

What!? A top scientist & member of Fauci's team at NIH not onboard with the mandates, and unvaccinated? It would be interesting to get his thoughts on the concerns he has on the safety of the vaccines. Willing to risk his job if he doesn't get a religious exemption is a pretty profound statement coming from a top expert in the field.

Anyone want to bet that CNN doesn't do story on this? Lol.

Reactions: Ultrairon

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I wonder how to Ultrairon tie this in? What do Aaron Rodgers, Vlad Putin, new Germany government, and the @3\4 of Americans dead have in common? Probably not Fauci..so why would Russia do this to itself?
And why would American health care workers,Doctors,nurses,techs..why would they conspire? Or did they? Are people in the world acting independently? In the interest of their citizens,of their countries? Nah..that would be too realistic,too consistent with human nature..anyway I need to get my tinfoil hat on headed down to the JFK return rally..I heard that Joe Rogan and Aaron are going to make appearances..
this is all so very very hard to believe..and if the human loss numbers are a national report card, what's our grade?
One thing has stuck with me about national priorities,looked at tweets and information from NFL organizations as a body.. Players missing births of children,missing funerals and deaths of loved ones, passing predictably in hospital and hospice..and why? So the player would not miss practice or a game. So where does it all fit? Guys willing to make this level of sacrifice for the game, for their teammates, Where does Rodgers fall on the commitment spectrum?
Covid will eventually go away. What are you going to be afraid of then?
I can't follow babble at the beginning of your post.

His teammates don't have a problem with him.

Reactions: Nomad
Its completely silly to make a semantical discussion out of who is getting sick and dying. Yes, the pandemic affects all of us in many, many ways, but the facts are that 90%+ of hospitalizations and death are among unvaccinated people (USA). Its all of our pandemic, but unvaccinated people are paying a much higher price.

Yep, a lot of unvaccinated people died in 2020, but that's also a silly discussion point.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Its completely silly to make a semantical discussion out of who is getting sick and dying. Yes, the pandemic affects all of us in many, many ways, but the facts are that 90%+ of hospitalizations and death are among unvaccinated people (USA). Its all of our pandemic, but unvaccinated people are paying a much higher price.

Yep, a lot of unvaccinated people died in 2020, but that's also a silly discussion point.
Its their choice to not be vaccinated. Well up until the Mandate lunatics take over.

Reactions: Nomad and FrankB
"One Of Fauci's Top Scientists Opposes Vaccine Mandates,Is Unvaccinated:"

"Dr. Matthew Memoli runs a clinical studies unit at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), the agency headed by Dr. Fauci, and will make the case against vaccine mandates at the NIH event, according to The Wall Street Journal. Memoli has said he supports COVID-19 vaccination in high-risk populations, such as for the elderly or obese, but emailed Fauci on July 30 to say that mandatory vaccination is “extraordinarily problematic.”

"All NIH employees must be vaccinated before a Biden administration deadline on Nov. 22, and 88% of workers at the agency have complied so far. Memoli has applied for a religious exemption and said he is willing to risk his job over the NIH mandate, according to The WSJ."

"Dr. Memoli argues that blanket vaccinations of low-risk communities could harm the development of stronger immunity gained from infection. He is an outlier among NIH doctors and the medical profession at-large, as most doctors recommend getting vaccinated rather than relying solely on natural immunity for protection."

What!? A top scientist & member of Fauci's team at NIH not onboard with the mandates, and unvaccinated? It would be interesting to get his thoughts on the concerns he has on the safety of the vaccines. Willing to risk his job if he doesn't get a religious exemption is a pretty profound statement coming from a top expert in the field.

Anyone want to bet that CNN doesn't do story on this? Lol.
The doctor is 50 and over weight. He is a high risk demo. He'll be fine if he gets canned. He could join Kulldorf at that new thinktank. And there are plenty who would be happy to assume his position if it were vacated.

His argument is non-sensical. Basically saying that we shouldn't vaccinate because it will prevent people from being infected. Just bonkers.

My dad (early 60s) got his third jab today as imunocompromised person (crohn disease). First two doses were AZ in march and early june and now Pfizer because in Slovakia there is no Astra anymore. I hope this "coctail" will secure him calm winter and spring. I hope also I can be with him without doubts as a full vaccinated person because my exposure to virus is more than likely next months.

Can anyone explain me, why vaccinated people don't have to provide negative test results for covid, just as those unvaccinated have to do?

People who are fully vaccinated could be infected and could transmit the virus onward in the same way as unvaccinated, so why it's been commonly assumed that they're "safe" and don't need to be tested anymore?

The fact that the instramuscular vaccines (all covid vaccines currently in use are instramuscular) don't prevent from infections and further transmission of the virus had been known just from the beginning, long before the process of vaccination started.
Here's the article from Nature magazine, published in the September 2020. In short, among other things, it highlights the intramuscular vaccination doesn't give the immunity of upper respiratory tract (but "only" in the lower one) and because of that vaccinated people could still infect others.

Fresh study from The Lancet Infectious Diseases:

"fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection"

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad and Ultrairon
Can anyone explain me, why vaccinated people don't have to provide negative test results for covid, just as those unvaccinated have to do?

People who are fully vaccinated could be infected and could transmit the virus onward in the same way as unvaccinated, so why it's been commonly assumed that they're "safe" and don't need to be tested anymore?

The fact that the instramuscular vaccines (all covid vaccines currently in use are instramuscular) don't prevent from infections and further transmission of the virus had been known just from the beginning, long before the process of vaccination started.
Here's the article from Nature magazine, published in the September 2020. In short, among other things, it highlights the intramuscular vaccination doesn't give the immunity of upper respiratory tract (but "only" in the lower one) and because of that vaccinated people could still infect others.

"fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection"

First, because they want to give an incentive to the unvaccinated to get vaccinated, second, because while it is possible to transmit the virus when you're vaccinated, the probability is way lower, and the tests need to be paid by someone.:)

There's talk about a vaccination obligation in Germany now, because the numbers are too low, both absolute and in comparison to other European countries. Honestly I can't understand why people aged 30/40+ can not just get their vaxx. Like that wouldn't help society and like most of them aren't willing to take all kinds of other vaccinations and medicines.
I like the solution in Singapure, that you have to pay your hospital bill yourself when you get into hospital with Covid and aren't vaccinated. Although that won't change the hardcore people and the hospitals will still be full of them, but at least some more will get vaccinated, nobody gets forced - I find it fair. I don't know how much you have to pay yourself in other countries, but in Germany you won't have to pay a penny when you get into hospital with Covid, though unvaccinated. I just think it's not possible to have a lex here that changes that.

First, because they want to give an incentive to the unvaccinated to get vaccinated

Yes, that's the obvious answer (my question was rather rhetorical) and that's actually what's worrying for me. Because the most important things aren't facts and the truth, but instead, vaccinating as much as possible at any cost, discriminating at the same time those who rightfully refused to get vaccinated for any reason (e.g. the fear of long term side effects).

because while it is possible to transmit the virus when you're vaccinated, the probability is way lower, and the tests need to be paid by someone

For expample in the study that I included in my post, the probability of infection (SAR) was 25% amongst vaccinated and 38% for unvaccinated. Is that really much way lower?
But I know it's just one, not so big study, so if you have other studies concernig this issue, showing it's actually way lower, you could share it with me. ;)

Last edited:
it's not, but you also need to take into account, that this study is only about household contacts, which obviously differ massively from most other everyday contacts.
Yes, it differs massively, but does it actually mean that if we'd consider "other everyday contacts" instead household ones, the risk of infection while being vaccinated would further decrease, comparing to being unvaccinated?

Yes, it differs massively, but does it actually mean that if we'd consider "other everyday contacts" instead household ones, the risk of infection while being vaccinated would further decrease, comparing to being unvaccinated?

from a non-professional point of view, to me it sounds somewhat logical that the vaccine is more likely to help blocking a small viral load the immune system gets attacked with while having a pizza, than when spending a weekend with an infected person at home, yes. But I can't say for sure, and also couldn't find any articles about it now, when having a quick look for it.

In general, I'm also not sure it's really what its still about. You probably have a point, that vaccinated people do contribute to the infections as well, and in a way larger amount than initially hoped for - but it's not a major problem, as long as they infect each other. Most cases are mild then, and therefor less than an issue than the same amount of unvaccinated getting infected.

from a non-professional point of view, to me it sounds somewhat logical that the vaccine is more likely to help blocking a small viral load the immune system gets attacked with while having a pizza, than when spending a weekend with an infected person at home, yes. But I can't say for sure, and also couldn't find any articles about it now, when having a quick look for it.
Yes, from my simiraily non-professional perspective, I agree with you. But then, following this logic, in the unvaccinated group (with or without natural immunity) the risk of being infected while having pizza is also lower than in case of living with an infected person at home. So this implies that the numbers of infections (outside of the households) should be generally lower in both groups, but we still don't know if the difference between the groups would change in any direction.

but it's not a major problem, as long as they infect each other. Most cases are mild then, and therefor less than an issue than the same amount of unvaccinated getting infected.

Then why vaccinated people are that much afraid of those unvaccinated and try to make everyone do that so hard?

We've been told all the time, that vaccination is not only about caring about yourself, but mainly about taking responsibility for others, which clearly isn't 100% true, because you can still infect others (yes the risk might be lower, but we still don't know how much).
So it turns out, that in fact vaccination is actually mostly a "selfish" thing and the aspect of "protecting" other people by doing so has been overrated and unfairly used to push the vaccination. That's my point.

Because life isn't fair. The scientific community, health/medical community, Bill Gates, etc. are out to get us. Joe Rogan is a doctor and a god. SARS-CoV-2 is a hoax. I don't know what answer you're looking for that hasn't been provided.

I'm glad that you have joined the conversation because its always good to get another perspective, and/or more information, but all of this has been discussed here and in scientific papers with more to come. You haven't been here long enough for me to tell, but previous disingenuous "questions" have worn me out. Hopefully someone here will point you in the right direction, but if they don't, scroll back through the thread for links.

• Haha
Yes, from my simiraily non-professional perspective, I agree with you. But then, following this logic, in the unvaccinated group (with or without natural immunity) the risk of being infected while having pizza is also lower than in case of living with an infected person at home. So this implies that the numbers of infections (outside of the households) should be generally lower in both groups, but we still don't know if the difference between the groups would change in any direction.

Then why vaccinated people are that much afraid of those unvaccinated and try to make everyone do that so hard?

We've been told all the time, that vaccination is not only about caring about yourself, but mainly about taking responsibility for others, which clearly isn't 100% true, because you can still infect others (yes the risk might be lower, but we still don't know how much).
So it turns out, that in fact vaccination is actually mostly a "selfish" thing and the aspect of "protecting" other people by doing so has been overrated and unfairly used to push the vaccination. That's my point.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not afraid of unvaccinated people.

EDIT: At one point I probably was. I got vaccinated 50% for selfish reasons, and 50% for 'community' reasons (which carry their own selfish reasons).

I don't want to get regular flu, conjunctivitis, cold, CARS-CoV-2, its not that I'm 'scared', I just don't like feeling crappy! I want to ride my bike after work not lay on the couch.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS