• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 380 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site

another Covid byproduct
Hard for me to understand how anyone would give a thumbs up to a story that is bad news for consumers because of chip shortage. unreal, like you are happy with the shortage.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
It's still trending down in the USA cases / deaths / hospitalizations. All good news.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
More great news. Look at these numbers.
IDAHO
MARYLAND
TEXAS
FLORIDA
CALIFORNIA
NEW YORK

has to be a thumbs up right?

It's weird that Home Depot still missing stuff, car dealers aren't because of lack of product,almost all paying above sticker, Wal Mart off balance,just can't fill the shelves...oops China is stick again but nobody faces the direct relationships between Covid and our inter tangled economies and ways of life.. There is no drawbridge to pull up..America can't be isolated in a warm blanket,even if she wants to be..as we all involuntarily social distance while barbecuing and riding our bikes better hope a nasty variant doesn't pop up in somebody else's winter..and if nothing else!hope China can get healthy enough to get bicycles and motorcycle inventories up to @2018 levels..I think getting 2 wheelers built and shipped should be a world priority.
Down with Covid..up w Dura Ace and 45mm wide tubeless wheels!!!
Long live the healthy factory workers!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ultrairon

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
It's weird that Home Depot still missing stuff, car dealers aren't because of lack of product,almost all paying above sticker, Wal Mart off balance,just can't fill the shelves...oops China is stick again but nobody faces the direct relationships between Covid and our inter tangled economies and ways of life.. There is no drawbridge to pull up..America can't be isolated in a warm blanket,even if she wants to be..as we all involuntarily social distance while barbecuing and riding our bikes better hope a nasty variant doesn't pop up in somebody else's winter..and if nothing else!hope China can get healthy enough to get bicycles and motorcycle inventories up to @2018 levels..I think getting 2 wheelers built and shipped should be a world priority.
Down with Covid..up w Dura Ace and 45mm wide tubeless wheels!!!
Long live the healthy factory workers!!!
Who is socially distancing while bbqing? Sounds like 2 years ago.
Life goes on, Dr Television could not solve.

Last edited:
Let me repeat.... the virus does not care whether a person has been eligible for vaccine or not. The percent vaccination of a country includes ALL the people. Australia does not have 90% vaccination. Period.

The data I posted suggested vaccination decreased case counts by ~70%. Much better than 20%. The case counts are from unvaccinated people and the 30% of the vaccinated. That is a lot of people.

I suggest that NYC data wasn't solely omicron - you yourself were claiming America had a mix of omicron and delta. If I missed it, please highlight? But Australia's vaccination rate be this good or bad or what age group compares favorably with almost all developed nations. And yet cases still exploded, I am sorry no way was transmission dominated by the unvaccinated. I am double vaccinated and just, caught the virus from a fully vaccinated person (see below).

And our hospitalization data shows that despite our relatively low community exposure rates (compared with America and Europe) this is not translating to significant problems with hospitalizations now. Since Australia's vaccination rate is as high or higher than America's (regardless if over or under 16 year olds) not sure how you would explain this.

Here's another update on my local hospitalization data:

Daily Cases Admitted to Hospital - COVID Live

Hospitalized (1,180 patients, down 1,763 on the peak on Jan 25)
ICU (43 patients, down 199 on the peak on Sep 21)
Ventilated (14 patients, down 109 on the peak on Sep 19)
After steep falls the numbers rose slightly but are not showing any sustained upwards trend.

Australia vaccination - all age groups (US in brackets):
Double vaccinated 81.7% (65.9%)
Booster 49% (29.4%)

There is a big push here to get more people to have their boosters. Otherwise we are doing fine and most people here are more concerned about the Ukraine situation now - Covid is a bit "yesterday".

ps . I tested positive to Covid on March 14 and fell ill on March 15 hence dropped off here. Cough, sore throat, fever and general weakness. Been back to work since Wednesday, and a few easy rides since Sunday. Not fun I have not been that ill since I caught pneumonia in late 2016 but I didn't end up in hospital so I assume vaccination helped me.

Last edited:

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I suggest that NYC data wasn't solely omicron - you yourself were claiming America had a mix of omicron and delta. If I missed it, please highlight? But Australia's vaccination rate be this good or bad or what age group compares favorably with almost all developed nations. And yet cases still exploded, I am sorry no way was transmission dominated by the unvaccinated. I am double vaccinated and just, caught the virus from a fully vaccinated person (see below).

And our hospitalization data shows that despite our relatively low community exposure rates (compared with America and Europe) this is not translating to significant problems with hospitalizations now. Since Australia's vaccination rate is as high or higher than America's (regardless if over or under 16 year olds) not sure how you would explain this.

After steep falls the numbers rose slightly but are not showing any sustained upwards trend.

Booster 49% (29.4%)

There is a big push here to get more people to have their boosters. Otherwise we are doing fine and most people here are more concerned about the Ukraine situation now - Covid is a bit "yesterday".

ps . I tested positive to Covid on March 14 and fell ill on March 15 hence dropped off here. Cough, sore throat, fever and general weakness. Been back to work since Wednesday, and a few easy rides since Sunday. Not fun I have not been that ill since I caught pneumonia in late 2016 but I didn't end up in hospital I assume vaccination helped me.
The vax most likely helped you. Good thing you had it.
A Story of someone in the public Eye here in the US of A. They had covid before the vax was avalible. Got 3 shots or 4 yet still got covid again. Now has covid for the 2nd or 3rd time. Where ever they are going I don't want to touch their disgusting areas.

Ukraine dominates the news. Dr Television not so much. I am sure another political science post will follow on how china's influx has the rest of the world searching for a television or something they posted.

Yeah nah mate ,,,,,,,,,, the month is destination and the day is fcked ::::: me I will buy the the wuhan virology institute t-shirt and move on. Just hope and pray that some random bat does not swooop in and get eaten or roasted over an open flame that will trigger the next face diaper mandate.

Booster 49% (29.4%)

ps . I tested positive to Covid on March 14 and fell ill on March 15 hence dropped off here. Cough, sore throat, fever and general weakness. Been back to work since Wednesday, and a few easy rides since Sunday. Not fun I have not been that ill since I caught pneumonia in late 2016 but I didn't end up in hospital I assume vaccination helped me.
Glad to hear that you're getting back.

Booster 49% (29.4%)

ps . I tested positive to Covid on March 14 and fell ill on March 15 hence dropped off here. Cough, sore throat, fever and general weakness. Been back to work since Wednesday, and a few easy rides since Sunday. Not fun I have not been that ill since I caught pneumonia in late 2016 but I didn't end up in hospital so I assume vaccination helped me.

Glad you're back.

Reactions: Cookster15
I got my 2nd booster (so my 4th vaccine shot) two days ago and side effects the following day weren’t anywhere near as bad as it was after my 1st two injections. None of the vaccine sites around here indicated they offered this but my rheumatologist wrote an order for it to make sure I could get it done. I know the research on how valuable a 4th shot might be isn’t clear. But I am 65, have been taking low dose immunosuppressant meds for 8 months, and it’s been 6 months since I got the initial booster. So the doc wanted me to get one.

This thread running out of puff? Looking at global trends might explain why. It seems obvious to me now that omicron isn't the monster that earlier strains were. According to worldometer, the global 7 day moving average deaths is 3,975/day which is the lowest since late March 2020 when the pandemic was just getting started. The trend is also falling sharply. US deaths are showing a similar very positive trend. I also don't think this is explained simply by vaccination. I suspect more likely lower virulence of omicron compared to earlier strains.

My local trend is showing slight rise in hospitalizations but crucially no statistically significant rise in ICU patients. Again confirming likely lower virulence of omicron.

This thread running out of puff? Looking at global trends might explain why. It seems obvious to me now that omicron isn't the monster that earlier strains were. According to worldometer, the global 7 day moving average deaths is 3,975/day which is the lowest since late March 2020 when the pandemic was just getting started. The trend is also falling sharply. US deaths are showing a similar very positive trend. I also don't think this is explained simply by vaccination. I suspect more likely lower virulence of omicron compared to earlier strains.

My local trend is showing slight rise in hospitalizations but crucially no statistically significant rise in ICU patients. Again confirming likely lower virulence of omicron.

Did it take two months for the rest of the world to figure this out?

This thread running out of puff? Looking at global trends might explain why. It seems obvious to me now that omicron isn't the monster that earlier strains were. I also don't think this is explained simply by vaccination. I suspect more likely lower virulence of omicron compared to earlier strains.
Hong Kong illustrates that omicron is very deadly in the immune naive. What we are seeing is mostly explained by vaccination. Compare Hong Kong to S korea. Or the UK to the Usa. Suggesting otherwise is motivated reasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

TRENDING THREADS