• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 394 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Obesity is probably the #1 health crisis in this country. And look at the damage Covid has done to the obese as they remain as one of the highest risk groups to suffer severe illness & death. Remember how Delta tore through the Southern states last summer with high rates of hospitalizations & death - the South has by & far the highest rates of obesity found anywhere in his country!

The south also had some of the loosest pandemic protocols, most ineffective decision making from politicians and their hospital funding seemed to be worse off in the poorest states which just added to the above issues.

what is most interesting about the most recent wave was how minimal the worst outcomes were compared to previous waves. Once antibodies wane and antigenic drift happens with variants, infections will result. But T cell memory is more preserved between variants and it seems to prevent severe disease if not infection. That is not ideal, but this is what the future is going to look like once the variants exhaust the remaining immune -naive. South Africa is a perfect example of mixed immunity. Some vaccination and a lot of infection.

It is not ideal but it is encouraging. By the way I have a feeling last couple of weeks we live prepandemic life once again. Except hospitals where face masks are mandatory there is absolutely no sign of ongoing pandemic here in Slovakia ( or Europe).

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
It is not ideal but it is encouraging. By the way I have a feeling last couple of weeks we live prepandemic life once again. Except hospitals where face masks are mandatory there is absolutely no sign of ongoing pandemic here in Slovakia ( or Europe).
Suprised that the PROpandemic crowd have not jumped on your comments. I am happy to read your post.

Reactions: Keram
Same vibe here in Maryland. Very little evidence that people are changing their behavior based on current caseloads. I'm sure there is a minority of people still taking some precautions, but the world really seems to have moved on.

Reactions: Keram and jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
masks appeal going on meanwhile the USA has moved on. Except for radicals. in the folks here own words only 10 to max 20% are wearing masks on transport. No thanks mask radicals. Or should I say the 10% tyrants?

Last edited:
The whole language around the pandemic has changed. When politicians wanted the schools to re-open, wanted the economy to pick up and wanted tourism to resume it was a case of what pandemic ? The daily briefings disappeared even the stats reporting became more difficult to find. The amount of print articles in mainstream media have slowed to a trickle. Moving on became moved on. Back to the regulars. Wars, murder, celebrities and sport. Even China has just decided to end its lockdowns.

The whole language around the pandemic has changed. When politicians wanted the schools to re-open, wanted the economy to pick up and wanted tourism to resume it was a case of what pandemic ? The daily briefings disappeared even the stats reporting became more difficult to find. The amount of print articles in mainstream media have slowed to a trickle. Moving on became moved on. Back to the regulars. Wars, murder, celebrities and sport. Even China has just decided to end its lockdowns.

They have not moved on in Hong Kong - Masks have been compulsory in all settings since July 2020 and no sig of the mask mandate being removed.

Nomad blamed the "South" for being obese as a cause of death rate increase with Covid. LOL, indeed.
Lot's of contributing factors in that part of the country for health outcomes.
What is your problem old man? You effing contradict everything I post. The South has the highest obesity rates in this country - close to 40% in some states! Obesity comes with diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, metabolic disease - all preexisting conditions that CDC deems as very high risk of death with Covid! Did you bother to read the links that I posted on this? You seem to always want to pick a fight with me like you're some kind of discussion forum tough guy. Lol. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ultrairon
Whoa, simmer down tough guy. I liked your post on the impact of obesity (check above) and have generally agreed on that count as a major contributing factor to mortality rates.
I was responding to Ultra's "blame the South" comment where he appears to disregard all other regional impacts, like obesity, higher poverty level and a good deal of other historic pressures as I had noted.
If I was not clear, I apologize for the lack of clarity.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Whoa, simmer down tough guy. I liked your post on the impact of obesity (check above) and have generally agreed on that count as a major contributing factor to mortality rates.
I was responding to Ultra's "blame the South" comment where he appears to disregard all other regional impacts, like obesity, higher poverty level and a good deal of other historic pressures as I had noted.
If I was not clear, I apologize for the lack of clarity.
RUH RO Rastro, what happened. Did golden oldies tell you tat they could take you anytime because they work out 25 hours a day? :D

Reactions: djpbaltimore
Same vibe here in Maryland. Very little evidence that people are changing their behavior based on current caseloads. I'm sure there is a minority of people still taking some precautions, but the world really seems to have moved on.

I think at this point the majority of us who are still taking precautions are those of us with specific reasons like someone who is immune compromised type of thing. Can i just say I truly hate wearing masks when it's 95 F outside. I was doing some outside work today. I was pulling it down if I wasn't close to anyone. Just way too hot today. Then again it was probably technically too hot to actually be working outside anyway, so there's that as well.

I think at this point the majority of us who are still taking precautions are those of us with specific reasons like someone who is immune compromised type of thing. Can i just say I truly hate wearing masks when it's 95 F outside. I was doing some outside work today. I was pulling it down if I wasn't close to anyone. Just way too hot today. Then again it was probably technically too hot to actually be working outside anyway, so there's that as well.
I found it irritating enough wearing one to go shopping, I couldn't imagine having to wear one for an entire work day. What those poor medical staff had to go through...............

TRENDING THREADS