• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eric8-A said:
Did anybody choose Kessiakoff for their team?

Yes, I have. Nice to have someone going unexpectedly well, with anton in such horrible shape. Hoping for nieve to do something as well. (Like winning on angliru, getting the red jersey..) Other than that, I have degenkolb, txurruka, taaramae, bruseghin, haussler and seeldraeyers. That's nine men, in real life it would be considered an mediocre-to-OK team, think my score from the vuelta will be pretty mediocre. Most of them could concievably win a stage, but probably noone will.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My Vuelta score's going to be terrible. I havn't scored much. I have Anton, Roche, Haussler, Phinney, Devolder, Garate, Talansky, and Kloden

Vuelta's a big facepalm for me so far, but I've got my fingers crossed for the GC, with Kessiakoff and Cobo (although I guess he's quite popular) to salvage something.

At least Modolo picked up a snappy 40 more points in the last 2 days; those lesser races will be my saving grace this season.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I hate to jinx myself... but I cant help but smile in that I have the riders currently sitting in 1st, 3rd, 4th, 9th and 16th on my squad. It probably won't last... but if it did this would be better then anything I could have hoped for from the Vuelta.

some quotes from the first 200 posts on this thread.

hrotha said:
Well, if we can have 25-30 riders, I'm afraid I'll have to submit some changes. I have a secret weapon in mind, one rider who's not officially dodgy (even though everyone knows he is), has not been injured, will probably have a great season next year and, best of all, is completely free.

ingsve said:
I wonder if it's the same rider I have on my team.

roundabout said:
subrankings -> rider subrankings -> own subranking -> CQ value = 0 -> search

regrets (after roundabout's post i found him, but as stated recently unfathomably decided against including him)... having said that it wouldnt make up the difference i have to ingsve, Soler's likely scores from TdS and TdF may well have done and only mention it now as reports on his progress seem good.

was great to see taaramae win a stage and make a dent in the lead (offset of course by the 0 pointer's 2nd place and potential 100+ point move on GC).

ingsve said:
What I'm surprised about is that there are so many neo pros that a lot of people selected. 258 for Matthews, 214 for Phinney and 144 for Degenkolb for example are not points that they will beat with any certainty next year when they will be riding much thougher programs than this year and for any of them to get over 4-500 points so that they are profitable seems almost impossible.

i should say didnt pick Matthews as i thought he was too expensive, but the payout (815) for the risk (358) for the other 2 on my team was worthwhile... guess all it means is ingsve will win by a bigger margin next year.

The Hitch said:
Cant believe Hugo has been generous enough to let me in. Its
Only going to take me a few minutes add the numbers up and send it.
But i swear on my life i havent see a single persons list and am not going to look until ive sent it.
Oh, and it wouldnt matter anyway, ingsve's well rationed post this morning makes me think hes the favourite

mc_mountain said:
i should say didnt pick Matthews as i thought he was too expensive, but the payout (815) for the risk (358) for the other 2 on my team was worthwhile... guess all it means is ingsve will win by a bigger margin next year.

Ya, the neo-pros is certainly one of the biggest lessons in this years game. I did not expect them to adjust to the pro peloton as quickly as they have.

Though I don't really regret not having them since I never considered them. I'm more regretful about removing Matt Goss from my team in the last edits because I had 5 riders too many and 1000 points or so over budget. Seeldrayers was another rider I had on my team that I removed.

ingsve said:
Ya, the neo-pros is certainly one of the biggest lessons in this years game. I did not expect them to adjust to the pro peloton as quickly as they have.

Though I don't really regret not having them since I never considered them. I'm more regretful about removing Matt Goss from my team in the last edits because I had 5 riders too many and 1000 points or so over budget. Seeldrayers was another rider I had on my team that I removed.

i was building up to 7500 so at the end was looking for riders in a specific price bracket.

took out talansky to make way for dowsett, and brought in masciarelli to make up the difference, which was right in itself (ie the 2 riders scored better than talansky) but could have sacrificed william clarke or brice feillu and kept talansky.

had also hoped to win a monument for the sake of our sponsor Mr Smith but i think he will be pleased with the season none the less! at the end of the season i will count up the wins and gc podiums and ask him for a bigger budget. (hugo - i expect to be turned down so dont change the rules)

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
mc_mountain said:
i was building up to 7500 so at the end was looking for riders in a specific price bracket.

took out talansky to make way for dowsett, and brought in masciarelli to make up the difference, which was right in itself (ie the 2 riders scored better than talansky) but could have sacrificed william clarke or brice feillu and kept talansky.

had also hoped to win a monument for the sake of our sponsor Mr Smith but i think he will be pleased with the season none the less! at the end of the season i will count up the wins and gc podiums and ask him for a bigger budget. (hugo - i expect to be turned down so dont change the rules)

Yes I made some silly decisions at the last minute. Put in Timothy Roe, Vaitkus and Betancourt instead of Kessiakoff and Vande Velde. I was also a bit lucky though, I accidently left Duarte, I have no idea how I thought he was in and was shocked when I realised he was not. When Pegasus collapsed I got to replace McEwen (a horror pick) and Cantwell. I wanted, desperately, almost asked Hugo whether I could drop another rider as well to do it, to put Ricco and Duarte in my team, but just went over the room I had left. So went with Porte (not a great pick but better than Ricco) and Duarte. Very lucky.
I went looking for the zero point rider that was being discussed but I did not find Cobo because of that. I literally went through every team and looked for riders who had had a bad season. When I looked at Caisse I knew Cobo had had a bad season and looked at his score and then found out it was zero.

mc_mountain said:

I'll create a evaluation thread when the season is closing in, so that everyone can share their thoughts on what the budget should be, how many riders should be allowed etc. I of course have my own idea about the subject aswell, and if it's up to me, the budget won't be bigger - more likely the opposite ;)

Also I've recognized a few mistakes in the game so far (like rider prices but more on this later on) so a few changes definitely will occour next year.

Really looking forward to next year as we all seem to have learned a lot from this season, and I'm just glad it has become a succes :)

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
This is my Vuelta team;

Igor Anton
Juan Jose Cobo
Fabio Duarte
Heinrich Haussler
Buake Mollema
Kevin Seeldraeyers
Amets Txurruka
Rein Taaramae
Kanstantsin Siutsou

Would have been a boost up the rankings if Anton delivered.

luckyboy said:
Well done to most people who had Cobo :p

including me
Watching the stage I was constantly reminding myself that I had Cobo and that arguably I had been his "discoverer" so it should be good for me, but I still couldn't enjoy what I was seeing. Lesson learned. Next year I'm only picking riders I actually like at least a little bit.

luckyboy said:
Well done to most people who had Cobo :p

including me

Careful. Everything I touch, in respect of the CQ game, turns to sh!t.

I was banking on Cobo and Kessiakoff to bring home the several hundred
"break even" points I still require for the season.

So far, I have Cav gone home. Points bankers Haussler and Boonan scoring a massive 8 points total.
The rest...........are stuck with those two "stars".

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
I'll create a evaluation thread when the season is closing in, so that everyone can share their thoughts on what the budget should be, how many riders should be allowed etc. I of course have my own idea about the subject aswell, and if it's up to me, the budget won't be bigger - more likely the opposite ;)

Also I've recognized a few mistakes in the game so far (like rider prices but more on this later on) so a few changes definitely will occour next year.

Really looking forward to next year as we all seem to have learned a lot from this season, and I'm just glad it has become a succes :)

The 7500 point and 35 riders cap seems pretty good to me.

hrotha said:
Watching the stage I was constantly reminding myself that I had Cobo and that arguably I had been his "discoverer" so it should be good for me, but I still couldn't enjoy what I was seeing. Lesson learned. Next year I'm only picking riders I actually like at least a little bit.

Yeah I will do that too. Should've picked Gilbert, Sylvain Chavanel + Moncoutie seeing as I actually like them and they're doing well. Just gonna pick riders I like next year.

It's all about next season now.

Boonen likely out of the worlds, so it seems that he will be a lock for most people next season.

Anton Hernandez also looking good, but I honestly don't know with him anymore.

The above two were in my team this year, so I would need strong faith to go back to back with them.

Bole was a definite for me until he decided to win a 1.WT2, now it's probably 30/70.

Going again with Haussler is definitely on the table, providing he has a poor Worlds - should be better for a full season, and no Hushovd.

There are a couple of obvious "Hausslers" for next season too, who have had interrupted seasons.

Anyone going to gamble with high flying youngsters? Bol, Kelderman, Novikov etc. They have too many points for my liking, as you just don't know how they will go in their first year as pros. With the cheaper neopros you know that they should break even just on 5 pointers (Roe who has been invisible all year is on 130%). Henao is a huge decision, I am one of the few who had him this year, but he almost has too many points now.

Anyone thinking of picking Ricco? :eek: (I know, I really should have learned my lesson)

We need a thread for discussing 2012 already, not that I am trying to invite people to give out huge secrets!

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
There are a couple of obvious "Hausslers" for next season too, who have had interrupted seasons.

Is there a place which recaps the injuries the cyclists had this year? A lot of sports have an "injury list". There are a couple of obvious ones, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there a place where you can find out all the injuries?

To be honest I'm really hesitant to name riders I'm thinking about, and I feel bad for it...

Ferminal said:

Boonen likely out of the worlds, so it seems that he will be a lock for most people next season.

The above two were in my team this year, so I would need strong faith to go back to back with them.

Bole was a definite for me until he decided to win a 1.WT2, now it's probably 30/70.

Going again with Haussler is definitely on the table, providing he has a poor Worlds - should be better for a full season, and no Hushovd.

Anyone going to gamble with high flying youngsters? Bol, Kelderman, Novikov etc. They have too many points for my liking, as you just don't know how they will go in their first year as pros. With the cheaper neopros you know that they should break even just on 5 pointers (Roe who has been invisible all year is on 130%). Henao is a huge decision, I am one of the few who had him this year, but he almost has too many points now.

Anyone thinking of picking Ricco? :eek: (I know, I really should have learned my lesson)

We need a thread for discussing 2012 already, not that I am trying to invite people to give out huge secrets!

There are definitely a lot of interesting riders for next season. However, I don't think we should discuss names as the game will be a lot more interesting if noone have gotten inspiration from others - even though some names are quite obvious.

Regarding Ricco (and other dopers), I made a mistake this year. The price for previous dopers was equal to that of their last active season, which in my opinion is a mistake, as it potentially makes the price too low.

Imagine, for instance, a rider getting banned on february 1st. A couple of seasons later when he's active again, he'll be a huge scoop as his price would be equal to the points he earned that season - which isn't much as his season stopped in february. Hope you understand :)

For previous dopers, next season their price most likely will be equal to their "last full season".
If we use Riccó as an example then this season he wouldn't have cost 756 points but 1136 points. His last full season was in 2007 as his 2008, 2009 and 2010 season were all affected by his suspension.

If we use Rebellin as an example for next year, his price then will be 1807 which is equal to his last full season (2008). Valverde will cost 2494 etc.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

I have a (short??) list of 104 riders for next years, 8 of this years team are on it including Boonen. I probably will take 1 or 2 again, that is it. I have lots of youngesters on my list who probably are not going to teams that make it worthwhile picking them. Probably 2013 candidates a number of them.