• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
I just lost big time despite no new results.

The news of Geox no Tour. Duarte and Blanco potential for points cut drastically while Menchov, who wouldn’t get that many by focusing only on Tour, now gets to try at 2 gts.

|

More bad news from Venezuela? Rujano DNF on stage 8 & not due to ride Langkawi, a big chunk of his 2010 points... Giro or bust?

Assuming that Geox stays intact, a big assumption, I wouldn't assume that its riders will necessarily take a CQ points hit by not riding the Tour.

Instead of using their best form of the season against almost all of the best other rider's top form in the Tour, they will now be concentrating on other races. Those Geox riders would would normally peak for the Tour will be reaching their peaks in races against lower caliber riders and top riders who won't be in top form.

In financial terms for a real team, not riding the Tour is a disaster. In terms of picking up CQ points it may well be a benefit. A result in the Tour is only worth about a fifth more than a similar result in the Giro or Vuelta. A Tour GC victory is only worth a little over twice a win in a one day ProTour race. Winning a 1.1 race is worth the same as 4 Tour stages.

I'd hazard a guess that Geox, assuming no major defections and assuming that they do actually get into a number of other important races, will actually earn more CQ points outside of the Tour

Zinoviev Letter said:
Assuming that Geox stays intact, a big assumption, I wouldn't assume that its riders will necessarily take a CQ points hit by not riding the Tour.

Instead of using their best form of the season against almost all of the best other rider's top form in the Tour, they will now be concentrating on other races. Those Geox riders would would normally peak for the Tour will be reaching their peaks in races against lower caliber riders and top riders who won't be in top form.

In financial terms for a real team, not riding the Tour is a disaster. In terms of picking up CQ points it may well be a benefit. A result in the Tour is only worth about a fifth more than a similar result in the Giro or Vuelta. A Tour GC victory is only worth a little over twice a win in a one day ProTour race. Winning a 1.1 race is worth the same as 4 Tour stages.

I'd hazard a guess that Geox, assuming no major defections and assuming that they do actually get into a number of other important races, will actually earn more CQ points outside of the Tour

While that is likely true for the team, I think what the Hitch was lamenting was that his guys (Duarte and Blanco) will have less chances for the mid-sized races; they might not have been selected to the Tour team anyway, and so they would have had those chances, but now if Menchov, Sastre et al take a step down and put all their efforts into things like the Giro, Paris-Nice, whatever (assuming they're even invited) then his guys might have less free rein to earn points at that level, and their individual CQ points will suffer. At least that's how I see it.

skidmark said:
While that is likely true for the team, I think what the Hitch was lamenting was that his guys (Duarte and Blanco) will have less chances for the mid-sized races

This is a fair point.

On the other hand though, I would guess that Geox will still ride at least close to the number of race days and that their second tier riders will still get a lot of races where they have a chance to perform, just in races a little further down the prestige totem pole. And if that's the case (another assumption, I know), then they too may well pick up more CQ points by acting the flat track bully then they would by competing with their peers.

In theory, this could be the case for almost any rider except those at the very bottom of the heap. And it could be true for any specialty - Greipel picked up more points than Cavendish last year, and while he got some good wins his advantage is mostly explained by him spending the year picking on the little kids in the class.

Or of course, Geox could just enter less races, and then the likes of Duarte and Blanco really will have less opportunities. And The Hitch would be entirely right. In the immortal words of Chief O'Doole, I'm just speculatin' about a hypothesis; I know I don't know nothing.

I think David Blanco owners (a group to which I also belong) are overreacting. 2/3rds of Blanco's points from last year came from the Tour of Portugal, a race which he will almost certainly ride again to win (given that he now wont be spending the preceding month working his tuches off in France for Carlos Menchov).

He'll still have many more opportunities throughout the year, even if I would've liked to have seen him in a Paris-Nice type race. There'll still be Catalonia though.

Zinoviev Letter said:
This is a fair point.

On the other hand though, I would guess that Geox will still ride at least close to the number of race days and that their second tier riders will still get a lot of races where they have a chance to perform, just in races a little further down the prestige totem pole. And if that's the case (another assumption, I know), then they too may well pick up more CQ points by acting the flat track bully then they would by competing with their peers.

Yup, this is what I'm hoping for with Felline, that's for sure. No TdF (which would still be quite over his head, despite his attempt last year) means less fatigue for races he can probably show quite well at.

Moondance said:
Okay... I need to make an edit I see.

I'll remove Konovalovas (180) and replace him with Cameron Meyer (175). Gets me right under 7500.

This change is looking awful good for me now.

EDIT: Hey.... Now I look back at standings post Aussie Champs it doesn't look like I've been credited with Meyer's points. Only Matthews and Bobridge's. I'm sending Hugo a PM.

Moondance said:

EDIT: Hey.... Now I look back at standings post Aussie Champs it doesn't look like I've been credited with Meyer's points. Only Matthews and Bobridge's. I'm sending Hugo a PM.

Ya, that's the problem with TDU it's impact on rankings is way above it's deserved level.

luckyboy said:
Oh dear, just realised I have Menchov, Cobo Acebo and Duarte :( Hope they get into the Giro/Vuelta.

Are standings going to be posted in the first post every month?

Hugo says he will post an update every time CQ issues a new spreadsheet with the stats.... Which I believe is around once every two weeks.

Either way, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a 'haggle Hugo about the results' thing. Dude must be doing an awful lot of work as is.

Moondance said:

Looking at the spread now and it has you with Konovalovas instead of Meyer and 7483 pts for your team.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
How many different team does everyone have represented on their teams? I was surprised by the number of teams I have to cheer for now. My team is almost entirely from the USA and Canada, and still I have 12 different teams within that. This will make watching the season more fun.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Rocksteady said:
How many different team does everyone have represented on their teams? I was surprised by the number of teams I have to cheer for now. My team is almost entirely from the USA and Canada, and still I have 12 different teams within that. This will make watching the season more fun.

Wow I've got 25 different teams, I think.

Tuarts said:
No its not. It's a ProTour event. It's ranked as highly as the UCI makes it. End of.

Compared to every other WT event the level of competition is not as high so the few people that are in form this time of year have a much easier time getting loads of points than they have at any other time of the year. Just because it's a WT event doesn't mean the points are as well deserved as points gathered in much thougher races.

ingsve said:
Compared to every other WT event the level of competition is not as high so the few people that are in form this time of year have a much easier time getting loads of points than they have at any other time of the year. Just because it's a WT event doesn't mean the points are as well deserved as points gathered in much thougher races.
Indeed. If you get as many points for winning the TDU as Paris-Nice or the Tour de Suisse, something is wrong.

Rocksteady said:

I've got riders from 17 countries and 20 different teams, with Pellizotti still pending.

My team is as international as i claim to be.

18 nationalities from every corner of the world.

19 if you claim to recognise Pais Vasvo as an independent country as i do :p

5 continents. North America, South America, Asia, Europe, Oceania.

Italy 8
Spain 4
Colombia 3
Belgium 2
France 2
Russia 1 (+1)
Netherlands 1
Irleand 1
Australia 1
Ukraine 1
Germany 1
Belarus 1
Kazakhstan1
Poland 1
USA 1
Venezuela 1
Slovenia 1
United Kingdom 1

I'll play:

Spain 4
Italy 4
Australia 3
Colombia 3
Germany 3
USA 2
UK 2
Belgium 1
Netherlands 1
Kazakhstan 1
Ireland 1
New Zealand 1
Russia 1
Slovakia 1
Sweden 1
Tunisia 1
Venezuela 1

Got you beat with the continents, Hitch. I've got 6. Couldn't find an Antarctican rider.