• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Meh, I can't wait untill january to publish my team!

Guess there will be a lot of discussion going on once everyone's teams are shown :)

BTW Hugo, how are you going to show all the teams? Just a long list? Or will you have anything fancy going with spreadsheets or powerpoint presentations?

Jan the Man said:
This may sound stupid but the CQ rankings I have only go down to riders with a value of 1, where can you find those riders which have been valued at 0??

I don't know. I guess you just have to know the name of the riders.

Vonn Brinkman said:
BTW Hugo, how are you going to show all the teams? Just a long list? Or will you have anything fancy going with spreadsheets or powerpoint presentations?

Honestly: I don't know yet.

I've never done anything with spreadsheets before, but a friendly soul PM'ed me with a spreadsheet he has made which I will take a look at.

I will definately figure something out though, which hopefully will be easy to read.

In case anyone has some great idea you're obviously very welcome to tell me :)

Jan the Man said:
This may sound stupid but the CQ rankings I have only go down to riders with a value of 1, where can you find those riders which have been valued at 0??

If you don't find a perticular rider on the team lists the easiest way is to go to the subrankings page and "Compose your own subranking" and there you simply select CQ value = 0.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how it could have happened that that rider really could not even get a single point? Every time he abandons on one of the final days, it seems like he purposely attempted to geta 0 score

Hugo Koblet said:
Announcement

I will have a maximum of 25 entrants in the competition. Otherwise it becomes too enormous and I would have to put too much work into it.

We are currently at 19 competitors - myself included.

Well, when it's all published we could simply help each other to keep track of the progress. There is no need for you to keep the scores alone since no one can change their team anymore after it starts.

ingsve said:
Well, when it's all published we could simply help each other to keep track of the progress. There is no need for you to keep the scores alone since no one can change their team anymore after it starts.

Sure, that's true. However, I have already started writing the teams into a spreadsheet. That way it's pretty easy to keep track of it and I can do some updates during the season. I don't mind the work - it's just that there can also be too much work :)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Sure, that's true. However, I have already started writing the teams into a spreadsheet. That way it's pretty easy to keep track of it and I can do some updates during the season. I don't mind the work - it's just that there can also be too much work :)

Do you still need the first names of all the riders? Because I have not even wrote all of those down myself :p

hrotha said:
Okay, sent the final version of my team. Finally I gave in to peer pressure and included Pellizotti, together with one or two gambles that could go either way (as in, not even ride next year).

I did the opposite. I needed to trim the team down from 38 riders and 8100$ so I had to drop a few riders and Pellizotti was one of the ones to go mostly because of the uncertainty of his situation next year with the possible appeal still pending. I think I only ended up with one rider with a questionable past but I think he should be safe to get some points next year.

Ferminal said:
Lovely work acf!

I think most people's highest will be the Missile, a safe bet for 1500+ points next season.

------------------------------

At the moment my team is just under budget, 30 riders, with the top10 accounting for almost $6,000. That means I have 16 riders under 100.

Only 3 convicted dopers but 4-5 more shady characters.

Waiting to see what happens with Geox and whether some of these guys are confirmed starters in a good team for 2011 before I submit.

Im undecided between Manx and EBH. Cav after all did get loads of victories, so i cant see him improving that much. Ebh was bellow par. But yet he still got lots of 2nds. Any other ranking EBh would be in no question but on this, i fear CQ give 2nd and 3rd so many points that hes a tad bit overpriced.

As fo Cuddles, i think the ranking makes him a bad buy for next year. Every other year he came top 5 because he did a lot. But this year i think hes sacrificing all else for the Tour. Last year he got most of his points from TA then Flech, Then LBL, Then Giro. Next year its all on the Tour. You only need to look at Schleck and Menchov to see that riders who only do the TOur

Hugo Koblet said:
Announcement

I will have a maximum of 25 entrants in the competition. Otherwise it becomes too enormous and I would have to put too much work into it.

We are currently at 19 competitors - myself included.

Hugo. Do you still have spaces?
If so could you reserve me a place.

My list is at home and im currently at uni and wont get back till late?
If i knew the 25 places rule i would have sent it yesterday?

The Hitch said:
Im undecided between Manx and EBH. Cav after all did get loads of victories, so i cant see him improving that much. Ebh was bellow par. But yet he still got lots of 2nds. Any other ranking EBh would be in no question but on this, i fear CQ give 2nd and 3rd so many points that hes a tad bit overpriced.

As fo Cuddles, i think the ranking makes him a bad buy for next year. Every other year he came top 5 because he did a lot. But this year i think hes sacrificing all else for the Tour. Last year he got most of his points from TA then Flech, Then LBL, Then Giro. Next year its all on the Tour. You only need to look at Schleck and Menchov to see that riders who only do the TOur

I did not choose anyone as expensive as those. I chose riders that at least has a theoretical chance of at least doubling their score or close to it. When looking at Cavendish at 1200 and figuring out how much he could realistically get next year then I don't see him getting much more than 1600 points. He had 1700 in 2009 and that was an almost perfect season for him with MSR and 9 GT stages plus 13 other wins. At 1600 that would only be a 400 point gain on a 1200 point investment and at that cost I'd rather pick 4 riders at 300 each who only need to increase 100 points each but hopefully with the potential of much more. Then again if Cav wins worlds and MSR and perhaps some other big one day races and reaches a bit over 2000 points then I guess I've made the wrong choice.

Hugo Koblet said:
Closed!

Right now we have 24 teams registered and 3 who I have asked to resend me their list, so a little more than the 25 but whatever :)

Hopefully I'll be able to publish all teams tonight if it's alright with everyone to do it this early?

So my and NV pachis requests for reservations because we cant access our lists atm were turned down :(

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
I did not choose anyone as expensive as those. I chose riders that at least has a theoretical chance of at least doubling their score or close to it. When looking at Cavendish at 1200 and figuring out how much he could realistically get next year then I don't see him getting much more than 1600 points. He had 1700 in 2009 and that was an almost perfect season for him with MSR and 9 GT stages plus 13 other wins. At 1600 that would only be a 400 point gain on a 1200 point investment and at that cost I'd rather pick 4 riders at 300 each who only need to increase 100 points each but hopefully with the potential of much more. Then again if Cav wins worlds and MSR and perhaps some other big one day races and reaches a bit over 2000 points then I guess I've made the wrong choice.

Hm. You have a good point, I chose Cav as well.
Now I'm just praying that he'll have a good year. But if you think about it, a 400 point gain is not bad. I did choose Ivan Basso, so I guess that's who I'll be cheering for this come Tour de France. Let's hope he picks up some other points as well in Dauphine, TA or LBL.

Hugo, great work man, thanks for the idea and work. You have added some serious spice to the coming season!

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So my and NV pachis requests for reservations because we cant access our lists atm were turned down :(

Well, Hitch, if your pleas fall on deaf ears, you could always start your own competition and keep track of the members that were too late to enter this one

Optimal team for 2010

For reference here's what would have been the optimal team for 2010 (based on 2009 CQ ranking) assuming a limit of 30 riders. I haven't taken into account the rules on dopers.

Name Points Cost
NIBALI Vincenzo 2203 979
RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin 1976 859
SCARPONI Michele 1353 672
VINOKOUROV Alexandre 1318 390
HESJEDAL Ryder 1145 494
HORNER Chris 1141 191
FREIRE GOMEZ Oscar 1127 511
ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor 952 242
BRAJKOVIC Janez 950 456
SAGAN Peter 928 88
MARCATO Marco 912 470