• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like a great game. I'm using (mostly) my PCM team!!

How is it that everyone is using less than exactly 7500 points? Get some nobody that had 5 points on the year... some points is better than 0 points, right??

Well, if we can have 25-30 riders, I'm afraid I'll have to submit some changes. I have a secret weapon in mind, one rider who's not officially dodgy (even though everyone knows he is), has not been injured, will probably have a great season next year and, best of all, is completely free.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well, if we can have 25-30 riders, I'm afraid I'll have to submit some changes. I have a secret weapon in mind, one rider who's not officially dodgy (even though everyone knows he is), has not been injured, will probably have a great season next year and, best of all, is completely free.

Wait, I thought it was 33, as I already send my squad in, but I came out at 32 riders

hrotha said:

I wonder if it's the same rider I have on my team.

Free riders?
I thought the whole idea was that we had to buy riders using their CQ dollar value, based upon their 2010 CQ ranking.
If they don't appear in this year's CQ ranking at all..............

I had the same thought about one rider in particular, but thought him ineligible.

Mellow Velo said:
Free riders?
I thought the whole idea was that we had to buy riders using their CQ dollar value, based upon their 2010 CQ ranking.
If they don't appear in this year's CQ ranking at all..............

I had the same thought about one rider in particular, but thought him ineligible.

Well, if a rider rode in 2010 but didn't score any points then his value would have to be 0 wouldn't it? I don't see why such a rider would be excluded...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, if a rider rode in 2010 but didn't score any points then his value would have to be 0 wouldn't it? I don't see why such a rider would be excluded...

If it is who I think it is, I don't know whether he should be included

ingsve said:
If anyone scores less than 7500 points I suggest they get banished from this forum.

Ive been looking into these cq rankings to see how the points work.

I see that the skill is in finding behind the scenes rider so to speak. Those with the Libertine Seguroses and Mellow Velos of this world should make good use of their euro tour knowledge.

Riders like EBh who by simple logic had worse seasons than the year before, get similar points because of all those 2nds

Last year the best buy would possibly be horner, so a maverick pick is good once in a while i guess.

What i was most shocked to find is that a Grand tour king of the mountains jersey, is worth as much as a stage win.

ps, Chapeau to Hugo for the work put into this.

And Hrotha. How is 0 points even possible. You get points for coming top 60 in the tdu ffs.:confused: Looking at those rankings yoy get points for just about anything.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Why not? It's not like the situation would be any different in practice if the guy had finished a single Pro Tour race and scored 5 points that way.

Hell, he might not even be worth it even for free! :p

Perhaps we have different people in mind, my problem was more that the rider I meant is not completely certain for next year

hrotha said:
Why not? It's not like the situation would be any different in practice if the guy had finished a single Pro Tour race and scored 5 points that way.

Hell, he might not even be worth it even for free! :p

The guy has to be included. I had 28 riders and was close to the limit when I thought of him, and thought "ooh, I wonder how cheap he is, will he be under the limit?" Damn straight he was.

First, I think this is a great idea for a game, and a great time for it to come out in the boooring offseason. Thanks Hugo Koblet.

As far as the contest itself goes, I think it makes sense not to have any cutoff or exceptions, for the sake of simplicity. The same pool of riders should be available to everyone, and it's up to those people to decide whether some gambles are worth it or not (ie. if Pellizotti, for example, ends up suspended then you risk wasting that spot). If people miss out on 'slam dunk' bargain picks, be they injured riders, returning dopers, etc, then that's their own flaw in picking their teams.

For numbers, obviously if you could choose riders with 0 points last year there should be an upper limit of how many you can choose. The suggestion of 25-30 seems to work fine, as that's protour levels of restriction. Those who have already chosen a team over 30 have 3 weeks to figure out which couple of riders to drop so it shouldn't be a big deal. Either way, clear rules soon would be great for us all.

That's my 2 cents. Thanks again.

skidmark said:
For numbers, obviously if you could choose riders with 0 points last year there should be an upper limit of how many you can choose. The suggestion of 25-30 seems to work fine, as that's protour levels of restriction. Those who have already chosen a team over 30 have 3 weeks to figure out which couple of riders to drop so it shouldn't be a big deal. Either way, clear rules soon would be great for us all.

Yes, there has to be an upper limit. Otherwise I would just submit my list and then just add the just over 2000 riders who scored 0 last year and hope a few hundred of them score some points next year.

We've had four diffrent suggestions for an upper limit so we need an official word from Hugo Koblet both on the upper limit, if it's OK to use riders that rode and scored 0 points in 2010 and also what price certain doping suspended riders should have such as Rebellin, Di Luca and perhaps even Pellizotti.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I say no limit to numbers, but the riders had to score a point last year.

But it's not my contest... mainly I dont' want to have to go back and look for some 0 point guys and update my team.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You could just make it a limit of 25 riders but have unlimited amount of money. Make it about who made the biggest "profit" from the original value of the teams.

Should only be allowed to have a certain amount of riders as if you have more riders it will give you an advantage because of course if you get a lot of riders who had ****ty years they are going to make big money for you and their value will sky rocket. Therefore the guy with 30 riders will have an advantage because he would have a lot more ****ty riders.

auscyclefan94 said:
You could just make it a limit of 25 riders but have unlimited amount of money. Make it about who made the biggest "profit" from the original value of the teams.

Should only be allowed to have a certain amount of riders as if you have more riders it will give you an advantage because of course if you get a lot of riders who had ****ty years they are going to make big money for you and their value will sky rocket. Therefore the guy with 30 riders will have an advantage because he would have a lot more ****ty riders.

Well, I think it is fine as it is with 7500 CQ$ to spend. I agree though that if there is a range of allowed riders then it makes no sense not to use the maximum allowed number unless you are really satisfied with what you have and can't afford any more riders though that would mean 0-cost riders are outlawed which I don't see why they would be.

The Hitch said:
And Hrotha. How is 0 points even possible. You get points for coming top 60 in the tdu ffs.:confused: Looking at those rankings yoy get points for just about anything.
It takes real talent, no doubt about that. This guy's a legend.
Libertine Seguros said:
The guy has to be included. I had 28 riders and was close to the limit when I thought of him, and thought "ooh, I wonder how cheap he is, will he be under the limit?" Damn straight he was.
I knew he had zero glorious points because I like to look at his CQ page and giggle like a schoolgirl.
Barrus said:
Just saw that the rider I was thinking about, did have points. I directly changed my team to include him
Damn, that means there's another hilarious rider I could sign out there, and I don't know who he is.

auscyclefan94 said:

Well, that might also make it more exciting, in the sense that while I might think that it'd be good to have 25 riders and get a couple of better 'top' riders that'll get me a bunch of points, someone else might think that it'd be good to skim a bit off the top and get 30 riders. The obvious bargains will all be snapped up anyway, so it'll just be a guessing game for the best strategy.

A couple of ideas for the dopers (ie. guys with 0 or very little points coming off suspension):

1. Give every doper the same CQ price ie. 250, 500 etc (some value everyone agrees on)

2. Keep the prices as they are but maybe the doper only gets half the points they score (or some agreeable percentage 65%, 75% etc) ie. wins a race and gets 1000 points so in the end is only awarded 500 in our game.

Just some thoughts.....

hrotha said:
It takes real talent, no doubt about that. This guy's a legend.

I knew he had zero glorious points because I like to look at his CQ page and giggle like a schoolgirl.

Damn, that means there's another hilarious rider I could sign out there, and I don't know who he is.

So lets get this straight. Hes a legend. Hes so good that having him can potentially win you this game. He has never been sanctioned for doping. He missed last season, but was neither suspended nor injured nor retired. In fact, from what im reading, he may have raced but, despite his greatness managed to somehow not get any points.

Im starting to think you guys pmed eachother, decided to play a private joke on the rest of the forum.

But barrus wasnt in on it, so now hes claiming to have found another one.

The Hitch said:
So lets get this straight. Hes a legend. Hes so good that having him can potentially win you this game. He has never been sanctioned for doping. He missed last season, but was neither suspended nor injured nor retired. In fact, from what im reading, he may have raced but, despite his greatness managed to somehow not get any points.

Im starting to think you guys pmed eachother, decided to play a private joke on the rest of the forum.

But barrus wasnt in on it, so now hes claiming to have found another one.

The guy I'm thinking of certainly did ride this year. He rode over 40 race days of 2.1 races and above but didn't score any points. I think it can't be that hard to figure out which rider it is.

TRENDING THREADS