• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
kurtinsc said:
Deep down, I think whoever wins won't be one of the more "scientific" selectors, but rather a more "fan" based team.

I think those who did a lot of analysis and spent a lot of time figuring out who the best values are will do well... but from experience with "fantasy" games like this, it never seems like deep analysis works all that well.

I remember in my office "march madness" pool for college basketball, the old woman who picked games based on who had the tougher sounding mascots won twice in five years. We'll see if this one plays out differently.

Hopefully I'll be the old woman of this game then though I doubt it ;)

sublimit said:
It looks OK, they could prove hard to catch.

:eek:

I wouldnt be surprised if the final table turns out to be pretty much a reversal of current standings, with Roundabout 1st and Team Australia last.

THat team will not be hard to catch. Someone with 0 points can, with the right picks, get twice Microdoses current score in the Giro alone.

The Hitch said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the final table turns out to be pretty much a reversal of current standings, with Roundabout 1st and Team Australia last.

THat team will not be hard to catch. Someone with 0 points can, with the right picks, get twice Microdoses current score in the Giro alone.
It's quite a good team, actually. Having Evans and Rogers will guarantee quite a lot of points, and in sprints and time trials he'll also get a fair amount. He sure won't finish last.

theyoungest said:
It's quite a good team, actually. Having Evans and Rogers will guarantee quite a lot of points, and in sprints and time trials he'll also get a fair amount. He sure won't finish last.

Agreed, certainly not last, but the current position is entirely illusory - half his points come from the Australian championships - a pure fluke of timing, and the other half result from Australians being the only people who considered the TDU worthy of peaking for.

I'd say the 2 best picks are Gerrans and Haussler, but then most teams have them anyway, so it's not going to provide much differentiation.

kurtinsc said:
Deep down, I think whoever wins won't be one of the more "scientific" selectors, but rather a more "fan" based team.

I think those who did a lot of analysis and spent a lot of time figuring out who the best values are will do well... but from experience with "fantasy" games like this, it never seems like deep analysis works all that well.

I remember in my office "march madness" pool for college basketball, the old woman who picked games based on who had the tougher sounding mascots won twice in five years. We'll see if this one plays out differently.

We have enough entries with enough variance that the winner will be someone who happens to have been very lucky with a few of their picks but who also has covered their bases with some of the obvious steals out there. The winning team will not have too many holes in their teams with riders severealy underperforming and most teams that are purely "feel based" will have those holes.

I think that Pcutter is the one of the current top 5 that will stay near the top the longest and end up finishing highest of those 5.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the update HK. Good to see I'm up there.

I am really happy with my team. I'll be in the top for the whole year, don't you worry about that folks! My team is packed full of superstars and greatness. Kinda wish I had Boonen though...

bicing said:
Thanks for the update HK. Good to see I'm up there.

I am really happy with my team. I'll be in the top for the whole year, don't you worry about that folks! My team is packed full of superstars and greatness. Kinda wish I had Boonen though...

Ya, your team is fairly solid I think. The main weaknesses as I see it are Roche, Sastre and Taaramäe, who I think will have a hard time overperforming. Though who knows. Perhaos this is Taaramäes year for taking another big step forward. I'm also a little unsure about Igor Anton. I think he will have a good year but the question is how good it will be and how much of an improvement will that be. I think there is a risk that he will only be a slight increase. You also only have 28 riders which I think is a weakness as well.

ingsve said:
I think that Pcutter is the one of the current top 5 that will stay near the top the longest and end up finishing highest of those 5.

Yeah, That was my thought too. Maybe we could have a 'CQ Prediction Prediction' game where we guess where various teams will end up. Anyone wanna create a points system for that?

Very meta.

skidmark said:
where we guess where various teams will end up.

Very meta.

Ive said my piece.
The Hitch said:
For me the favourites are.

1 From those with less time

Hugo Koblet, Melow Velo, Kvinto, Buemington, Hrotha Contre Lemond, nvpachi, Jukebox for positions 10-3.

Hugo has all 33 and a lot of good picks at around 200 but Anton and Breschel will cost him.

COntre and Buemington have very good teams with well spread out lists.

Kvinto Melo and nvpachi have a lot of wildcards who could turn out big points.

However. 2 clear favourites have emerged. Ingsve and Roundabout.

Insgave and would have been favourite for overall if he could leave his hatred for dopers behind. Me, id choose OJ simpson if i felt he was going to get me points.;)

Then theres Hrotha, The Cobra, Parrulo as wildcards.

2 From those with more time

Ham and eggs
Mortland
Noblis
Madrazo
The Amateur
Handbrake
Sneeks
have ALL of Schumacher, Vandevelde, Di Luca, Gerrans and Cobo and will fight the overall amongst themselves.

Also good teams from those with more time have Waterloo Sunrise and the youngest though Gesink will cost him.

So to conclude, for the overall i see the above list with maybe a challenge from youngest, roundabout or ingsve.

from the regulat posters i see it as

1 Roundabout
2 Ingsve
3 Waterloo
4 youngest
5 Melo

Note: I did not include myself in this.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Ya, your team is fairly solid I think. The main weaknesses as I see it are Roche, Sastre and Taaramäe, who I think will have a hard time overperforming. Though who knows. Perhaos this is Taaramäes year for taking another big step forward. I'm also a little unsure about Igor Anton. I think he will have a good year but the question is how good it will be and how much of an improvement will that be. I think there is a risk that he will only be a slight increase. You also only have 28 riders which I think is a weakness as well.

I reckon Anton will win a GT (probably Giro), Sastre will win at least one GT stage and Top 5 in one and Top 10 in another, Roche and Taaramae will start actually winning races and stages. I have predicted that's enough for them to make improvements. But you're right they are a bit risky they could easily not step up.

Plus, Taaramae's Estonian. I had to have a Romanian, Pole and Estonian in my team. :)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

It will be kind of interesting to see how a random team gets on against teams that have been thought out properly not that mine is particularly.. I made several mistakes and I'm not certain having 9 Sky riders in my team is such a good idea..;)

Still Microdoses Team Australia were good enough to score close to 7,500 points last year, and with some up and coming youngsters getting better all the time in his team you never no...time will tell but theres no way they will come last in anycase.

Purging my enemies.

If Contador loses his Tour de France then Damiano Cunego actually comes 4th in the KOm and gets 25 points and not 15.

He also comes 28th not 29th overall, and gets 53 instead of 51 points, and 8th into Bagneres Lucheon, getting 3 points instead of 2.

This means CUnego should cost 672 points instead of 659, hopefully placing several of my enemies above the 7500 mark.

In fact, heavy favourite Hamn Eggs has Damiano, and his total was 7500. With Contadors dq, that figure should be 7513 putting him in the red.

I know it sounds exesive, but you do what you gotta do.

:D

The Hitch said:
If Contador loses his Tour de France then Damiano Cunego actually comes 4th in the KOm and gets 25 points and not 15.

He also comes 28th not 29th overall, and gets 53 instead of 51 points, and 8th into Bagneres Lucheon, getting 3 points instead of 2.

This means CUnego should cost 672 points instead of 659, hopefully placing several of my enemies above the 7500 mark.

In fact, heavy favourite Hamn Eggs has Damiano, and his total was 7500. With Contadors dq, that figure should be 7513 putting him in the red.

I know it sounds exesive, but you do what you gotta do.

:D

You focus only on Cunego? Pretty much all the top 30 in the Tour and riders on stages where Contador is removed would have their points ajusted if the results are changed.

ingsve said:
You focus only on Cunego? Pretty much all the top 30 in the Tour and riders on stages where Contador is removed would have their points ajusted if the results are changed.

Most picked riders in game

HAUSSLER Heinrich - No tour
PELLIZOTTI Franco- No tour
VANDE VELDE Christian- no tour
GERRANS Simon - no tour
SOLER HERNANDEZ Juan Mauricio- no tour
RICCO Riccardo- No tour
PHINNEY Taylor- no tour
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres- No tour
BOONEN Tom- no tour
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose- no tour
BOS Theo - no tour
SICARD Romain - no tour
FEILLU Brice - no tour
ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor- no tour
KASHECHKIN Andrey- n tour
DEGENKOLB John- no tour
DEIGNAN Philip - no tour
NUYENS Nick - no tour.

The next rider on the list is

CUNEGO Damiano

You see. He actually did the Tour. He got points for it. None of the other most picked riders did.

And While Andy Schleck will increase by 300 points or so, i dont see anyone who picked Schleck as a threat. Only 8 people did.

Loqwist was picked as much as Cunego. But his point increase wont be as big. You ingsve are 24 points of the 7500 mark. I think yoru safe;)

The Hitch said:
Loqwist was picked as much as Cunego. But his point increase wont be as big. You ingsve are 24 points of the 7500 mark. I think yoru safe;)

Well, I think everyone is safe because it's too late for anyone to change anything now or else you will simply have everyone switching to Cam Meyer. That's what I would do if I was forced to switch anyone.

hrotha said:
The Contador thing is good news for me as I picked Navarro hoping he'd be free in some important races. Saxo sucks now, Porte, Sørensen and Navarro can basically do anything they want in every stage race.

I would hope to see Larsson perhaps get some free range in races as well. He's been top 20 in two GTs now, 2010 Vuelta and 2008 Giro, and that's without being anything like a pure climber. I wonder what he could manage in some shorter stage races with a TT like Romandie, Dauphine, Paris-Nice etc.

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
With Contador's ban my team suddenly looks a lot better. It is really quite a predicament to on one side hope that Contador will be able to race but on the other side my team here will be much better off if he got banned. Now Sørensen and Navarro can shine and bring lots of points in (I hope).

Btw Hitch, I don't have Gerrans nor Di Luca on my team.

Well i think we all knew Contador would get banned, and it would have been short sighted not to pick a Saxo rider imo. My chosen one was the one jose. I doubt hell do much in gts. But now theres these Iberian races which Contador rode last year - Algarve, Castille, which i hope he goes for. Also Paris Nice. Basically racks up a few wins in these minor races. And maybe a break at the Tour or something. Or Giro.

TRENDING THREADS