• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crash to Bail

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know where to post this, but a remark I read has me wondering how often crashing to bail occurs?

I can remember of a couple of times I wish I had had a button that would have given me a flat in a few gnarly races I've been in.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Wishing you had a flat tire so you have an excuse to quit is just a little different than deliberately crashing, especially at high speed on the road (if you are referring to our dear friend Lance - as has been suggested by a few crazies). If anyone is tough enough to deliberately crash on the road then hats off to them (unless they cause others to crash as well).

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
he is talking about fitness and a gut check. People taking "a dive" so they will not have to finish a 75 mile road race after being dropped or ripping their tire off the rim and heading back to their girlfriend and saying" did you see me? I was right up in the front and then the glue gave up!!"..or the guys at TT that let the air out of their tires and start walking the bike. Just don't race if you are not prepared all the theatre w mock crashes and stupid excuses is makes people tired. Positive racing w lots of attacks and tight corners and steep climbs brings these guys out of the woodwork. Battenkill and Nevada City create these guys. If you find an advice site about how to look cool while losing don't post the link. Bailing in this post means giving up while racing. PS lots of pros will describe feeling like their legs feel like lead and the climb making it feel like somebody is ripping your spine out of your body. Hurting so bad that you are afraid to look down because your blood and guts are leaking out of your every hole.. that what it feels like when done right.I was in a race in Mexico where I was feeling like I was going to die, throw up and was dizzy all at the same time. I just kept looking at the guys *** in front of me. I thought for a micro second to give up..looked over my shoulder as to not gap whoever was behind me..what an F--king surprise I was in a break of 16 and we were 3 minutes up..going fast can be really sickening most times

May 18, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
I think I read in a thread about Lance crashing on purpose in the tour because his performance was sub-par. If that's not it. I haven't a clue

OK, but the context is whack if that is the case. He is asking about how many times we have done this? Yes, when I was being investigated for PED use by the feds I would clip a curb on purpose. :rolleyes:

Or, if we would do it if the race was too hard (gnarly), or hope that we had a special flat button on the bars. Or is it crashing? Or something.

Of course. Instead of just dropping I would hit a parked car or a mailbox and it would be all good. Who would want to just take the easy way out and drop?

I nominate this for the most stupid thread in the history of this forum.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
JayZee said:
Wishing you had a flat tire so you have an excuse to quit is just a little different than deliberately crashing, especially at high speed on the road (if you are referring to our dear friend Lance - as has been suggested by a few crazies). If anyone is tough enough to deliberately crash on the road then hats off to them (unless they cause others to crash as well).

Why crash when a timely gastrointestinal problem will do the trick?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I have gone into a gnarly hairpin turn at mach 90 way over my head and crashed to bail before I bailed down a ravine

Same thing on a roadie b4. just laid it down to avoid certain doom.

In other news I got caught inside on a huge swell at a triathlon beach start and couldnt get outside the breakers does that count

dnf regardless

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Well you can nominate it but I would point out that there is enough quality competition for that title that it would be wrong to award it to this one without having a proper election process.

yep. the official lance armstrong thread springs to mind immediately

In many years of racing (amateur) I have never known anyone to crash intentionally in order to drop out of a race. If you're going to drop out just do it, honestly no one really cares since it happens to even the very best now and then. The pain of hitting the road is going to be a Hell of a lot more than the pain it takes from gutting it out to keep from getting dropped anyway.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bolstering the notion

I am trying to recall a story about a US medal in team pursuit? Maybe at the olympics? 1 rider might be Hegg but I honestly am foggy about any of this. Rider took a dive after a problem on the track that would have left the team short or DQ. Might have been a dropped chain so the rider crashed rather than have to make a second restart without a legitimate mechanical. The problem was something has to break, a flat, or crash but mis adjustment does not qualify as a legitimate reason to restart?

Any one remember this? That was a dive and i have heard that track riders have crashed intentionally.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
bridgeman said:
I don't know where to post this, but a remark I read has me wondering how often crashing to bail occurs?

I can remember of a couple of times I wish I had had a button that would have given me a flat in a few gnarly races I've been in.

I know a guy who used to stope with the excuse that he had a flat. Dunno whether he actually let the tyre down to reinforce his claim but after the second time (in a different race) everyone realised what he was doing. Small heart.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
he is talking about fitness and a gut check. People taking "a dive" so they will not have to finish a 75 mile road race after being dropped or ripping their tire off the rim and heading back to their girlfriend and saying" did you see me? I was right up in the front and then the glue gave up!!"..or the guys at TT that let the air out of their tires and start walking the bike. Just don't race if you are not prepared all the theatre w mock crashes and stupid excuses is makes people tired. Positive racing w lots of attacks and tight corners and steep climbs brings these guys out of the woodwork. Battenkill and Nevada City create these guys. If you find an advice site about how to look cool while losing don't post the link. Bailing in this post means giving up while racing. PS lots of pros will describe feeling like their legs feel like lead and the climb making it feel like somebody is ripping your spine out of your body. Hurting so bad that you are afraid to look down because your blood and guts are leaking out of your every hole.. that what it feels like when done right.I was in a race in Mexico where I was feeling like I was going to die, throw up and was dizzy all at the same time. I just kept looking at the guys *** in front of me. I thought for a micro second to give up..looked over my shoulder as to not gap whoever was behind me..what an F--king surprise I was in a break of 16 and we were 3 minutes up..going fast can be really sickening most times

YOu must have been coasting. On a 17k cat 1 climb my heart came out of my throat and i balanced it on my stem for the last 5 ks of the climbing watching it beat at 250 bpm (and my max is only 180). I didn't bother stuffing it back down my throat till the top of the climb because the extra room in my thorax meant i could breathe better.

*** edited by mod ***

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I thought the remark about LA falling on purpose was interesting, and was wondering if there was any history behind this presumed option. I think there may be a lot more going on over the many years of this sport than we know in this regard.

And as for the flat tire thing I mentioned, well I didn't invent that one. That's been a long running little joke with the bunch I hang with.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I was just thinking of Shane Kelley. Everyone said that he should have thrown himself onto the deck at the Olympics because he would have been awarded a restart in the Kilo (I am referring to the infamous foot-pull on the startline incident in the year he was the favourite for gold). Instead he just rolled around the lap and waved goodbye to the crowd.

TRENDING THREADS