• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crazy Motorists

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
$254

:mad:"The driver of a car that struck and killed a Green Valley cyclist Sept. 3 pleaded responsible to two traffic violations and paid $254 in fines.

David Armstrong, 76, of Green Valley, pleaded responsible to “overtaking bicycles — fatal,” and “driving in the bike lane” and was fined $140.50 and $113.50 respectively.

Jerome Featherman, 84, was killed when he was hit in Green Valley."

95RPM would have us believe this is an entirely appropriate outcome. The driver was just unlucky that the cyclist was there when he wandered into the bike lane and killed him. In ShAllah. The driver is just a hapless victim, not responsible for his actions. The cyclist was clearly at fault for not riding defensively enough.

http://www.tucsonbikelawyer.com/motorist-who-killed-jerome-featherman-fined-254-00/

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
About time...

BroDeal said:
Cool. This crazy mofo is being prosecuted. Not only did he intentionally stop short, severely injuring a rider who went though his rear windshield, he tried it before with cyclists who reported his license plate number.

http://www.velonews.com/article/99128/california-road-rage-case-heads-for-court

It will be interesting to see what a judge and jury do with this. The first big hurdle was getting a prosecutor to take enough interest in the case. This had to be (was) a really blatant case to ever make it this far. There was a similar, but less blatant case here a few years ago, and in the end the jury opted for guilty on a lesser charge that involved pretty trivial penalties (the guy lost his license for a year, I think).

"RIDING IN A DANGER ZONE 2 Tucson bicyclists were hurt in 2 collisions with a man who blames bad luck and 'rude, crude' people on bikes
Arizona Daily Star; Tucson, Ariz.; Nov 18, 2000"
the article is one on several on this web page: http://azbikelaw.org/articles/ThreeFoot.html

Rupert said:
It will be interesting to see what a judge and jury do with this. The first big hurdle was getting a prosecutor to take enough interest in the case. This had to be (was) a really blatant case to ever make it this far.

My read on this is that the stuff that should have caused prosecution may not have been what pushed it into court.

When one cyclist hits the deck with road rash and such, you can imagine the police dismissing it as a minor accident. With the other cyclist going through the rear window and having his nose nearly torn off, there must have been blood everywhere. That sort of injury you would hope would get the police and prosecutor's attention. That the motorist had been harrassing other riders on the same ride, you would think would butress the case immensely. That the motorist had done the same thing before and had his license plate number reported, should have sealed the deal. There should not have been anything else necessary.

But what really seems to have caused prosecution is that the doctor was stupid enough to tell the police he did it to teach the cyclist a lesson along with some other dumb admissions to the police. It makes one wonder if the doctor had kept his mouth shut, would he have been prosecuted. I suspect that he would have gotten away with a citation or plea on a minor charge.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yep

BroDeal said:
... what really seems to have caused prosecution is that the doctor was stupid enough to tell the police he did it do teach the cyclist a lesson along with some other dumb admissions to the police. It makes one wonder if the doctor had kept his mouth shut, would he have been prosecuted. I suspect that he would have gotten away with a citation or plea on a minor charge.

+++

There's a really high standard that has to be met before anyone is held responsible. So many people who hurt somebody get off with no punishment, just by not mouthing off. Negligence is not enough, bad intentions need to be proven. It's amazing the this "Dr." was stupid (arrogant?) enough to put himself in this position when he could have just claimed stupidity or poor driving skills or "a dog ran in front of me." But this case isn't over yet - there are plenty of cyclist-hating jurors out there.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Cyclist punches out bus driver - news.com.au

FTR, in the bus lanes in Sydney (where I don't live), no cycling is allowed (to an extent it is allowed where I live, but there is a bike lane right next to the bus lanes. Further on it becomes a bus/taxi lane, but you can cycle in it), so they were in the wrong, and the cyclist gets on the bus and punches out the bus driver for doing nothing wrong.

I hope the **** (the cyclist) feels the full wrath of the law.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
But what really seems to have caused prosecution is that the doctor was stupid enough to tell the police he did it to teach the cyclist a lesson along with some other dumb admissions to the police. It makes one wonder if the doctor had kept his mouth shut, would he have been prosecuted. I suspect that he would have gotten away with a citation or plea on a minor charge.

I wonder about this too. I think the multiple incidents hurt his case. Had it never been reported before, he might be a free man.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Machismo can get you killed. Shaved legs,a chunk of styrofoam on your head and a lycra suit. Pussy? Coward? just don't ride like an organ donor and always back down. The car or truck always has the right of way,always. All of us on sub 20 pound bikes are weaker than those with air bags that out weigh us by 1000s if we were just wrestling, when they are going 50-90% faster with the weight it is always a loss in the cyclist record. Riding and training on busy roads confirms that all people in cars are assumed to be assholes until they buy you beer at the pub.

+1. You may be in the right, but it doesn't matter if you're seriously injured or killed.

richwagmn said:
+1000. I hope they sue the ******* in civil court too.

That guy is so screwed. He is not a young man. He is sixty. He has little time to make up for the financial hit. If he is like most L.A. douches then he spent most of his money on appearances rather than saving it. He may have surprisingly little assets compared to what a man in his position should have. The trial lasted a fair bit of time. Criminal defense can cost a surprising amount of money. A civil judgement including pain and suffering plus punative damages could easily be a solid mid-six figures or more. Just fighting that case will cost a small bundle. Unless his company is large enough to run itself, it is likely to be very hard hit by the absence of its owner--possibly fatally so. Going back to working in the ER at 62 or 63 could be a rough way to make a living.

Occasionally there is a little just in the world, and the dirtbags get what they deserve. Now if only karma would catch up to Lance Armstrong.

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl.../1033/NEWS?Title=It-s-tough-to-share-the-road

“My heart stops because they are going up the middle of the road and around a blind curve, and I have come up behind them and there is a truck coming the other way,” Hilliard said. “I say, ‘You have got to stay on the side of the road.’ Sometimes they don’t acknowledge and sometimes they growl. It’s for their own good, their own safety.”

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Just want to know people's thoughts on this:

Today in our bunch ride, we rode a 6.5km hill, and on the way down, I was near the front of the bunch, to which somebody had shouted there is a car coming up from behind. The roads were a little bit wet from some rain from last night, but nothing that bad (it wasn't raining when we were out), and I came to a hairpin, and there was another rider in our group ahead of me, I passed him, well aware of the car was behind me. I was doing about 46 km/h going into the hairpin, and with the rider just in front of me, the conditions on the road, I didn't think it would be safe of me to jam on the breaks and slow right down and risk my back wheel locking up (I did that once, and ended up in hospital getting treated for some nasty road rash), so I kept going until I was ahead of the rider and it was safe for me for me to slow down and pull right over and let the car overtake me. The guy who informed of me the car, had a go at me, saying I should of slowed right down when I was going into the hairpin (it was a blind corner), and if I was aware of the car behind me. I told him I was, but I wasn't going to slow down and let him overtake unless I thought it was safe for me to do so. I rate myself as a desender, and I figured I would put myself first.

In all my years of riding, and riding countless hills, I have only had one accident, and that was my fault, when I went into a corner that too fast, and braked suddenly, and my rear wheel locked up and I went down hard. So Ican certainly handle going down hill fast and dealing with traffic. I spoke to two other people and they thought I did the right thing.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
There was a discussion on this regarding the driver recently convicted in a road rage incident against two cyclists (month or so back).

I think it's fair to say people would agree you have right to the road. It would seem especially so in this case, given the speed and conditions, however different the road rules may be in Australia than those in the US.

You may want to look up that thread, there were some good perspectives there.

craig1985 said:

Today in our bunch ride, we rode a 6.5km hill, and on the way down, I was near the front of the bunch, to which somebody had shouted there is a car coming up from behind. The roads were a little bit wet from some rain from last night, but nothing that bad (it wasn't raining when we were out), and I came to a hairpin, and there was another rider in our group ahead of me, I passed him, well aware of the car was behind me. I was doing about 46 km/h going into the hairpin, and with the rider just in front of me, the conditions on the road, I didn't think it would be safe of me to jam on the breaks and slow right down and risk my back wheel locking up (I did that once, and ended up in hospital getting treated for some nasty road rash), so I kept going until I was ahead of the rider and it was safe for me for me to slow down and pull right over and let the car overtake me. The guy who informed of me the car, had a go at me, saying I should of slowed right down when I was going into the hairpin (it was a blind corner), and if I was aware of the car behind me. I told him I was, but I wasn't going to slow down and let him overtake unless I thought it was safe for me to do so. I rate myself as a desender, and I figured I would put myself first.

In all my years of riding, and riding countless hills, I have only had one accident, and that was my fault, when I went into a corner that too fast, and braked suddenly, and my rear wheel locked up and I went down hard. So Ican certainly handle going down hill fast and dealing with traffic. I spoke to two other people and they thought I did the right thing.
This is more about "crazy bicyclists" than "crazy motorists".

Some people refer to a concept they call the "anti-cycling implied contract" which can be explained as, "Motorists allow bicyclists to use the roads as long as bicyclists stay out of their way".

It is sad how many - including probably the vast majority of experienced riders and even pro riders - have accepted this way of thinking.

If you really think about it, the implied contract is replete with problems that makes bicycling unsafe and sometimes impossible (hint: any time anyone says "I wouldn't ride on that road" they probably mean they wouldn't ride there because doing so would mean violating the implied contract). But the problem is that few ever think about; it's just one of the crazy notions that everyone has come to accept subconsciously.

Getting out of the way for the convenience of overtaking faster traffic when it's safe and reasonable to do so is certainly appropriate. But you should never feel compelled to do so, and certainly not if there is any question that doing so might compromise safety.

Check out my posts in the first 5 pages of this thread for (much) more on this topic.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I joined my bunch to ride some hills this morning, and we had just set off, riding two abreast in the bike lane, and some yokel on the other side of the road who is driving on the other side of the road, slows down and yells at us to "get off the road". Considering we weren't doing anything illegal and we were just 200m into our ride, I looked at the person who was riding next to me and went 'WTF?'.

craig1985 said:
I joined my bunch to ride some hills this morning, and we had just set off, riding two abreast in the bike lane, and some yokel on the other side of the road who is driving on the other side of the road, slows down and yells at us to "get off the road". Considering we weren't doing anything illegal and we were just 200m into our ride, I looked at the person who was riding next to me and went 'WTF?'.

as my wife would say, there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

You were doing more than 45 kph. The car could have followed you the entiere 6.5 km down that hill is what I think. Ride at speed to a safe long stretch and pull to the side so the car can overtake if it wants to. You made the right move.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
[rant]
What about those crazy farmers whose dogs run wild when you ride past? I'm
sick of those dogs who are so aggresive that it forces you to avoid a certain
parts of a route because of their behaviour. What's just as bad is the farmer
who says that the dog is only trying to play with you (even though it's baring
all of its teeth as if it's ready to bite you)

These farmers don't seem to realise that not everyone likes dogs, nor wants
to play with them. [/rant]

craig1985 said:

Haha, yeah you get that everywhere here in Australia though, especially in QLD. When I lived up in Townsville it was even worse again. Not only do most of the drivers there despise cyclists, they don't even know what they are trying to do behind the wheel themselves.

Brisbane is a fair bit better because there are so many cyclists here but if you dare to go to Southbank or through the city to a bunch ride before 530 - 6 am be prepared to cop some flack from douches and their trophy GF's on their way home from a big night...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wed 27 Jan 2010, 4:55 pm UTC

Teenager facing up to 5Y, guilty of killing cyclist Rhys-Evans during a race

1264608627494-1ph4hjsrre9f4-280-75.jpg

Katie Hart (19) has been found guilty of dangerous driving and facing up to 5 years, after she hit and killed Major Gareth Rhys-Evans while he was taking part in a time trial on the A1

"On the day of the accident, visibility was good and the weather was dry. Hart, who was on her way to pick up her boyfriend, passed within a foot of another competitor in the race before hitting 37-year-old Maj Rhys-Evans. She told paramedics "he came out of nowhere", according to WalesOnline".

Full story: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/teenager-guilty-of-killing-cyclist-rhys-evans-24802