• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

movingtarget said:
Valuable runs by Broad and Woakes. Australia needs a long partnership to have any hope as their top order failed again.

With Smith still there Aussies are in with a chance, they batted well after the early wickets lost.

180+ is going to be a tricky chase. England defended 194 against India on a similar wicket last summer.

There are also a few showers forecast, so we may not get a full 2 days play.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
The end is near, shocking effort by the batsman today but credit to the Aussies, they’ve bowled extremely well.

Unless Moeen can bat long I have a feeling they will have regretted playing him instead of Leach.

I expected more fight from England. After the first three wickets it was pretty clinical. If Moen keeps making the team England must be short of all rounders especially spinners. He's pretty ordinary of late. Siddle very unlucky not to get a wicket and Smith should have held that catch in slips. Siddle not amused. Lyon was great but they all bowled well.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Pricey_sky said:
The end is near, shocking effort by the batsman today but credit to the Aussies, they’ve bowled extremely well.

Unless Moeen can bat long I have a feeling they will have regretted playing him instead of Leach.

I expected more fight from England. After the first three wickets it was pretty clinical. If Moen keeps making the team England must be short of all rounders especially spinners. He's pretty ordinary of late. Siddle very unlucky not to get a wicket and Smith should have held that catch in slips. Siddle not amused. Lyon was great but they all bowled well.

I don’t see how they can pick Moeen after that, Leach is usually much more controlled and can spin it just as well, as proved in Sri Lanka and West Indies.

Agree about the Aussie bowlers, they bowled well and Lyon showed Mo what should be done on that wicket. Obviously Anderson was a big loss, hopefully Archer gets through the 2nd VI game he’s down to play in this week and can replace him.

I may pop down the road to Worcester later in the week and watch the Aussies 3 day game there.

Pricey_sky said:
movingtarget said:
Pricey_sky said:

I don’t see how they can pick Moeen after that, Leach is usually much more controlled and can spin it just as well, as proved in Sri Lanka and West Indies.

Agree about the Aussie bowlers, they bowled well and Lyon showed Mo what should be done on that wicket. Obviously Anderson was a big loss, hopefully Archer gets through the 2nd VI game he’s down to play in this week and can replace him.

I may pop down the road to Worcester later in the week and watch the Aussies 3 day game there.

Yes Anderson was missed. Broad tried hard. Woakes has been pretty good of late. Aussies will be tempted to play Starc but they might be better to leave well enough alone. Depends on the pitch really but they did look a bowler short in the first innings until Smith got busy. My guess is that they drop a batsman for an all rounder like Marsh or they just drop a batsmen and play an extra bowler. With the way Smith and Wade are playing it might not matter. But Australia will want to keep England down after such a disappointing result for them. A result for Australia in the Second Test would be huge for the series.

Yes Anderson was missed. Broad tried hard. Woakes has been pretty good of late. Aussies will be tempted to play Starc but they might be better to leave well enough alone. Depends on the pitch really but they did look a bowler short in the first innings until Smith got busy. My guess is that they drop a batsman for an all rounder like Marsh or they just drop a batsmen and play an extra bowler. With the way Smith and Wade are playing it might not matter. But Australia will want to keep England down after such a disappointing result for them. A result for Australia in the Second Test would be huge for the series.
No to Mitch Marsh. At test level he can tie up an end, but is not a wicket taker, while his batting is inconsistent at this level.

To be picked as an all rounder, he needs to get his bowling average and batting average into the 30s. ATM he's averaging 43 with the ball and 25 with the bat. Hardly where they should be. He's fine for ODI and twenty/20, but not test.

Reactions: movingtarget
No to Mitch Marsh. At test level he can tie up an end, but is not a wicket taker, while his batting is inconsistent at this level.

To be picked as an all rounder, he needs to get his bowling average and batting average into the 30s. ATM he's averaging 43 with the ball and 25 with the bat. Hardly where they should be. He's fine for ODI and twenty/20, but not test.

Yeah pretty much agree that he's a long shot for selection. Starc will probably be in for Pattinson. Siddle probably did enough to retain his place and he can tie down batsmen without taking wickets but he was unlucky in the First Test.

Starc should definitely play at Lords, Cummings and Siddle have done enough to keep their spots.

For England, I’d be very tempted to play Sam Curran instead of Denly. Curran has been better with the bat over the past year, and given the forecast, his left arm seam will be very useful.

Starc should definitely play at Lords, Cummings and Siddle have done enough to keep their spots.

For England, I’d be very tempted to play Sam Curran instead of Denly. Curran has been better with the bat over the past year, and given the forecast, his left arm seam will be very useful.

I kind of agree with this, the only diffuculty is who bats at 4, personally I would like to see Stokes bat there

Reactions: movingtarget
Crazy day's play in the cricket. Smith just can't stay out of the game. Test match cricket at it's best. Deadly spell of bowling from Archer. Thank God it wasn't on the old WACA pitch ! Smith was lucky that he took the blow on the lower part of the neck, if it had been a bit higher his test would have been over. The blow to the neck could still have been very dangerous of course. Whether he uses the new helmets now will be interesting to see even though it wouldn't have helped with that blow whuch was more on the lower side of the neck than the rear where the new protection on the helmet is. Archer's reaction to the incident was also curious to see while other players on the English team seemed to be much more concerned about Smith's welfare.

Shame the rain had such an effect on the game so far. Archer generates a lot of pace off a short run and his arm speed isn't that high either compared to bowlers of the past like Malcolm Marshall who also operated on a short run up. Must have a lot of strength in the arm and shoulder...............

Smith is just insanely good, and England have an inability to close off innings even when bowling well. Roy is struggling at this level but there is genuinely nobody else available to open, while Root has been poor this test. I believe in stokes and buttler enough that I don't think there'll be a winner of this test, but for the next one England need a nice green top, Sam Curran in the team (and opening the bowling with broad), with foakes into the side as well potentially.

Archer is just excellent, fantastic match from him

Smith is just insanely good, and England have an inability to close off innings even when bowling well. Roy is struggling at this level but there is genuinely nobody else available to open, while Root has been poor this test. I believe in stokes and buttler enough that I don't think there'll be a winner of this test, but for the next one England need a nice green top, Sam Curran in the team (and opening the bowling with broad), with foakes into the side as well potentially.

Archer is just excellent, fantastic match from him

Don't know much about Curran. Root hasn't been the same since he became captain. Happens to a lot of players and it seems many don't regard him as a very good captain. The previous English captain Cook had similar issues. His batting seemed to suffer from then on or at least not be as good. It's happened to some of Australia's former captains as well. Making elite players captain doesn't always work out for the best.

That spell between Archer and Smith was one of the best passages of cricket I’ve seen in a long time. Couldn’t take my eyes of it. 95mph and right on the mark, credit to Smith who’s having the series of his career. It just proves why test match cricket is the pinnacle of the game and must never go away.

I agree with what has been said previously, it’s a shame we’ve lost so much of the test due to rain, but we still have all 3 results a possibility. England lose 2-3 quick wickets and the Aussies are favourites. Stokes and Buttler get set and have a crazy hour, suddenly the Aussies have 2 long sessions to bat and Smith may have to dig them out of another hole.

That spell between Archer and Smith was one of the best passages of cricket I’ve seen in a long time. Couldn’t take my eyes of it. 95mph and right on the mark, credit to Smith who’s having the series of his career. It just proves why test match cricket is the pinnacle of the game and must never go away.

I agree with what has been said previously, it’s a shame we’ve lost so much of the test due to rain, but we still have all 3 results a possibility. England lose 2-3 quick wickets and the Aussies are favourites. Stokes and Buttler get set and have a crazy hour, suddenly the Aussies have 2 long sessions to bat and Smith may have to dig them out of another hole.

Entertaining game even with the lost time due to the weather. England handled Lyon much better in the second innings. Roy and Root are struggling as are Warner and Bancroft. The bowlers have taken centre stage in the first two tests except for that man Smith. Nice century from Stokes. Hard fought innings from the Smith substitute Labuschagne. Doesn't sound like Smith will play the next test with the quick turnaround and it's probably for the best logic wise and medical wise. Starc will probably be in also so Australia can get a look at all of their pace bowlers before the series gets too old. Siddle might make way for Starc. Australia still haven't solved the riddle of the top order and it's been that way for quite a while now. Bancroft might get one more chance to redeem himself while Warner has been no better really. Moving Stokes up the order was obvious and it paid dividends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pricey_sky

TRENDING THREADS