• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2013

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The GC Tour contenders shouldnt be quite 100% in this race. So its really not a big issue if Froome/Contador etc dont win. Iirc in the last 10 years only twice it has happened the winner of Dauphiné also won the Tour (Lance in 2003 and Wiggo in 2012).

Theyr should perform well of course, but we shouldnt read to much into it if Contador drops Froome, or the other way around. As long as the differences between the contenders arent worrying huge

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think they would have been better moving him to Suisse instead. That final TT suits him hugely and he would have a great chance for the overall.

So no hope of him doing anything this month and in the Tour he is riding more in help of Valverde. What a waste.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Pulpstar said:
Caught the Lincoln Grand Prix, Kennaugh loooks like he has great potential & already an Olympic Gold medallist xD

His climbing in particular was very very easy on the eye. Engine on the flat however, well doesn't look like the best person to draft behind ;) , probably best to pick Eisel/Stannard for flat drafting/TTT work in the Tour. Dauphine/Vuelta looks like it would be good for him, Sky have plenty of mountain goats for the Tour already and its not particularly mountainous even. In hindsight Sky would have been better blooding Kennaugh in the Giro over Wiggo :eek:

A few years ago (probably after Beijing Olympics and before team sky was formed) wiggo talked about Kennaugh as the next GT GC rider from Britain. In fact it might have been in relation to team sky's aim of a british rider winning the TdF within 5 years and wiggo said kennaugh was that man.

I'm interested to see what he does now his track career is probably finished

Pulpstar said:
Caught the Lincoln Grand Prix, Kennaugh loooks like he has great potential & already an Olympic Gold medallist xD

His climbing in particular was very very easy on the eye. Engine on the flat however, well doesn't look like the best person to draft behind ;) , probably best to pick Eisel/Stannard for flat drafting/TTT work in the Tour. Dauphine/Vuelta looks like it would be good for him, Sky have plenty of mountain goats for the Tour already and its not particularly mountainous even. In hindsight Sky would have been better blooding Kennaugh in the Giro over Wiggo :eek:

Didn't he ride the Giro in 2011 and 2012 already?

but only for the first part of dauphine. the mountain stages are all live
and it was the same last year.
this time the whining is not founded. eurosport broadcasted so much cycling this year that i almost couldn't watch. let rolland garros have some glory too

plus there will be some france 2 streams i guess

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
but only for the first part of dauphine. the mountain stages are all live
and it was the same last year.
this time the whining is not founded. eurosport broadcasted so much cycling this year that i almost couldn't watch. let rolland garros have some glory too

plus there will be some france 2 streams i guess

They have two! channels that both show tennis for like 8 hours a day. Less could definately do

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
As far as Nairito goes maybe he can ride the tour half arsed like valverde last year and be tip top for la vuelta :)

I would rather see him battling with Contador and Froome than riding at Vuelta,if he is capable of attacking big guns it should be FUN:cool::D.He can win Vuelta in the coming years:p

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Quintana skips the Dauphine because of a 2 month (!) training camp in Colombia.
lnTQXqh.png

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
As far as Nairito goes maybe he can ride the tour half arsed like valverde last year and be tip top for la vuelta :)

This is what I'm hoping. An in form Quintana would do great at the Vuelta I think, and it would be great training for worlds.

Not too mention we would get to see a Betancur-Quintana battle. That would be just awesome! :D

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
This is what I'm hoping. An in form Quintana would do great at the Vuelta I think, and it would be great training for worlds.

Not too mention we would get to see a Betancur-Quintana battle. That would be just awesome! :D

Forget Henao? :D

Henao at top form kicked *** i.e. see Pais Vasco this year especially!

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Duartista said:
He already said he won't be doing the Vuelta. 2 GTs in a row is too much for a 23 year-old.

Hitch posted a link somewhere that Betancur was going lead at Vuelta and then to prepare for Worlds..

Hmmm... I agree though, 2 GT's is quite heavy for such young rider. However he'd be amazing at Vuleta. This Vuelta suits him soo much! Tbf every Vuelta in past years would suit him very well.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Hitch posted a link somewhere that Betancur was going lead at Vuelta and then to prepare for Worlds..

Hmmm... I agree though, 2 GT's is quite heavy for such young rider. However he'd be amazing at Vuleta. This Vuelta suits him soo much! Tbf every Vuelta in past years would suit him very well.
Sorry, I meant Quintana, not Betancur, as people were talking about Quintana maybe doing the Vuelta.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Forget Henao? :D

Henao at top form kicked *** i.e. see Pais Vasco this year especially!

Henao Vs. Quintana Vs. Betancur (and maybe even Uran) at the Vuelta. Now that would really be awesome! A 3-way battle for the entire podium. :D

@Duartista, do you have a link to where Quintana says he won't ride. I expected he probably wouldn't but have been hoping he would end up riding anyways.