• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014: Stage 4, Montélimar - Gap 167.5 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jens_attacks said:
Christina watches should be all over him.
thor that is

Ouch. :eek:

But Team Joker is the "big" Norse team isn't it?

I feel bad for the guy. He's obviously past the days of a guaranteed TdF stage win every year, but I think he's probably still capable of posting some results in the 2.HC races like Austria and even some WorldTour races like Poland and Beijing, as he did last year, right? If he can't effectively (and happily) ride as a super-domestique on a WT team, then maybe his best option really is to spend a last year or two as a leader for a PCT team like IAM or one of the Belgian squads.

Flamin said:
For Alberto and Nibbles, there's no need to show their cards here on the descent. Let Froome think he's in charge and just strike big time in July.
I disagree.
If there's an environment in which you do want your opponent to be nervous, it's the descent. It makes more sense to not attack on the climbs, but on the descents, the opposite.

Eshnar said:
I disagree.
If there's an environment in which you do want your opponent to be nervous, it's the descent. It makes more sense to not attack on the climbs, but on the descents, the opposite.

Yes, but not in the Dauphiné. That's what I mean. There's no point in ringing the alarm bells by attacking on the descent here. It will only make Sky extra cautious in the Tour and I'd say it even shows a bit of weakness.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
The people here that doubt Nibalis extreme downhill awesomeness will get a big suprise tomorrow :cool:

What was that - the Giro? about 3 years back? When he did that completely awesome descent to catch the leader?

Flamin said:
Most likely a break will take it.

For Alberto and Nibbles, there's no need to show their cards here on the descent. Let Froome think he's in charge and just strike big time in July.

I would disagree, but for sure time will tell. If Nibali can take a lead on the descent - he is one of the few riders who might do that and make it work. Leading gaps taken on a descent, tho, I think are notoriously fickle. Too easy for those behind to catch back. So, if he thinks the timing isn't right, he might not even give it more than a fleeting attempt - too much risk.

But, if Froomey-boy is out to put his stamp on the Dauphine, I don't see why Nibali and AC couldn't or wouldn't do the same - if they can. I don't see much sense in lying low.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
indianfanboy said:
well there were a lot of opinions that Van Garderen would not perform well n the Tour,may be he will be a contender for a top 5 if he can show his Catalunya climbing form and the last 50km time trial suits him very well

I'm not convinced with Tejay's form. Maybe because I always thought he is overrated. But god knows, he might surprise me.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Is this similar stage from 2010 with Contador and Evans gapping Schleck's on the wet descent?. I think Nibali should try something if it is wet Contador can maybe gap Froome i don't think Froome and Contador will take risks tommorow though, anyone no the weather?.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Do people expect Conta to drop Froome on descent?

We've watched countless times they both descended and Conta couldn't drop Froome at all..

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

We've watched countless times them both descending and Conta couldn't drop Froome at all..

theyoungest said:
Nibali has bigger balls than most. He's technically not a great descender. Contador also dares to take a few risks.

Froome looks like cr.p on a bike, but he's not that bad of a bike handler.

agreed nibali no better down hill than most just has bigger balls for taking the risks, and really for most riders that is the difference

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

We've watched countless times they both descended and Conta couldn't drop Froome at all..

No i don't i think he could, if it is wet though he could as he would take risks, but no way he will risk his TDF on a downhill imo(in the TDF of course he will try).

Froome is no Wiggins downhill but i would still give Contador a slight edge if it is a technical descent although Froome looked good last year downhill it was Contador who overcooked, so who know's.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
No i don't i think he could, if it is wet though he could as he would take risks, but no way he will risk his TDF on a downhill imo(in the TDF of course he will try).

Froome is no Wiggins downhill but i would still give Contador a slight edge if it is a technical descent although Froome looked good last year downhill it was Contador who overcooked, so who know's.

contador didn't over cooked. There's a hot melt asphalt on the road and that's why he fell.

TRENDING THREADS