• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014: Stage 8, Megève - Courchevel Le Praz (131.5 km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Easily the best stage race of the season so far.
Aggressive racing from Garmin/Talansky secured the overall win.

Very brave and strong jersey defense by Contador, but the front group was very strong too.

Froome tried, but its clear hes just running on fumes.

Chapeau to the riders.

Very entertaining.

Inquitus said:
I don't like Chris Froome, I am jusy analysing the facts dispassionately, if Froome hadn't crashed then getting crushed by Alberto would be highly significant, as it is he crashed and we don't know how much of an impact that had.

Froome is going to say whatever he can to save face, but fact is he tried and failed. I suspect he will be fairly demoralized about this race. His mental edge over Contador is gone.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
Why are people speaking as if they *knew* how the crash affected Froome.

How or that the crash affected him? If you win the first mountain stage in a impressive way, but lose 5 minutes in the last, then something is wrong of course

Publicus said:
Froome is going to say whatever he can to save face, but fact is he tried and failed. I suspect he will be fairly demoralized about this race. His mental edge over Contador is gone.

Agreed, if Froome feels the crash weakened him significantly then he may not be too bothered, if however he knows it didn't do much damage then he will be in bits, only he can answer that question though, for now, ultimately the Tour will show everyone the truth.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:

I agree. The fact that he finished like 4 minutes? That doesn't sound like someone with a fighting spirit. Considering that he said he came to win. If with one knocked, he can't handle it. What happen if the rubber meets the road comes TDF? Wiggins looks good to make the TDF team looks like :D

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Awesome racing! Kudos to Garmin and brown power to tear this up like they did. Entertaining race, Berti very strong, even though he faded a bit in the end. Sky back to the drawing board, as should the host of this forum, a meltdown in the Dauphine :eek:

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Contador would have won this stage by a minute if he would have followed Nibali and Kelderman thats how strong he was

Contador has just made a big atatement that he is the man to beat

Great ride by Talansky and again Garmin lighting up the stage with an attack from the gun

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Ironically, contador taking the GC lead yesterday cost him the race. Had froome retained the lead, sky never would have let a break like this go. Contador would easily have taken the time from froome today and... Bingo!

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
All I know is that Alberto is going to kick himself in the behind for not having gone with Nibali.

What a tactical mistake! I know he was more interested in sending Froome a message but... to think he could've killed two birds with one stone is going to burn him for a while.

And Tinkof... WTF! WTF! Jesus Christ! Where the heck were they???

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
The_Juan said:
All I know is that Alberto is going to kick himself in the behind for not having gone with Nibali.

What a tactical mistake! I know he was more interested in sending Froome a message but... to think he could've killed two birds with one stone is going to burn him for a while.

And Tinkof... WTF! WTF! Jesus Christ! Where the heck were they???

They will be fine, add Kreuziger and Rogers to the line up ....

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Better Call Saul said:
Ironically, contador taking the GC lead yesterday cost him the race. Had froome retained the lead, sky never would have let a break like this go. Contador would easily have taken the time from froome today and... Bingo!
Contador just wanted to show Froome how strong he was yesterday

The tour is the big picture Froome will still be Contador's big rival and Contador has achieved what he wanted: he knows his condition is right on track and improving and he has gained a big mental advantage over Froome

Froome was likely affected by the crash, but I think that the reason that he cracked today was that he was cracked mentally yesterday when Contador dropped him.

The riders themselves are the first to make up "excuses" regarding illnesses and crashes, so if Froome was seriously affected by the crash I dont think he would have said that he slept well etc.