• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4 - 11

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How is this a DQ? I just rewatched the replay and Groenewegen is a bit stuck near the barriers but also in no danger whatsoever. I think DQs should be reserved for dangerous behavior, not for unfair moves.
You are of the opinion that deviating from the left side of the road, all the way to the right is not dangerous behaviour? Would you have deemed it dangerous if they crashed because of this exact move?

Reactions: Sandisfan
He literally deviates the entire width of the road as soon as he realises he's going 0 km/h and everyone is gonna pass him otherwise.
It happened over a longer distance than most deviations and was nowhere near as aggressive as many of those situations. If they differentiate between relegation and DQ in the first place, this is more in the realm of relegation imo. Groenewegen’s push looked more dangerous and I saw some elbowing in the peloton in the final few k that was arguably more dangerous.

But still, a DSQ? It wasn't that dangerous... Unfair, sure.
Relegation is basically 0 punishment. You only get relegated from winning sprints you weren't winning anyway. So basic game theory would dictate you should always deviate if you don't have the speed.

And it's still dangerous behavior. Other riders have to take evasive action to not crash. It's not only dangerous when you cause a crash.

Relegation is basically 0 punishment. You only get relegated from winning sprints you weren't winning anyway. So basic game theory would dictate you should always deviate if you don't have the speed.

And it's still dangerous behavior. Other riders have to take evasive action to not crash. It's not only dangerous when you cause a crash.

So relegation should not be applicable unless you win a stage?

TRENDING THREADS