• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4 - 11

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why? Everyone is allowed to say something, but not the people involved? You don't have to agree with him of course.
It would have been wiser not to make a comment like that in my opinion.

He comes off... as I tried to say in other words, as a bit of a dimwit. Maybe that was already known though... and he does nothing to change that impression with comments like that.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Is there anything more cringeworthy than pronouncing Danish names (as a Danish journalist) like the English and American do? I seriously don't think that happens in any other country than Denmark and its such a weird, weird thing to do.

Just pronounce Vingegaard normally man instead of Vinkegart or Vingego or whatever these fools comes up with! You're a Dane, that should be rather easy....

Reactions: Rackham
Is there anything more cringeworthy than pronouncing Danish names (as a Danish journalist) like the English and American do? I seriously don't think that happens in any other country than Denmark and its such a weird, weird thing to do.

Just pronounce Vingegaard normally man instead of Vinkegart or Vingego or whatever these fools comes up with! You're a Dane, that should be rather easy....
Who does that other than Brian Nygaard?

And no, there isn't, especially when you diligently pronounce Spanish, Italian and French names correctly.

Who does that other than Brian Nygaard?

And no, there isn't, especially when you diligently pronounce Spanish, Italian and French names correctly.

Carlton Kirby specializes in pronouncing French words with a would-be French accent... whilst butchering the pronunciation, often to a dramatic degree.

Like pronouncing 'Chaise' with a K, or dropping the T from 'Lot' (the department). All with a French accent. It's maddening.

Rasmus Staghøj is a sinner as well

Try to keep an eye out for it when he interviews some other riders in the peloton and asks a question about VIN-KE-GJART. Lol. As in the riders wouldn't know who is by pronouncing it right.
Hmm, I haven't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. And he definitely pronounces most names correctly when he speaks Danish. I don't get it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

That's certainly not uniquely Danish. For English audiences Dutch people also intently mispronounce "Amsterdam" or "Van Gogh".

Reactions: Danskebjerge

TRENDING THREADS