• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4 - 11

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hmm, I haven't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. And he definitely pronounces most names correctly when he speaks Danish. I don't get it.
I kinda see the reason, to be honest. Not when speaking Danish of course, but in an international context, many people (even inside cycling) at first wouldn't even know who he is talking about when using the correct pronunciation.

That's certainly not uniquely Danish. For English audiences Dutch people also intently mispronounce "Amsterdam" or "Van Gogh".
I'm confused: that's only when you know you're talking to an English speaking person. On Danish television (or Dutch for that matter) I'd expect them to pronounce the names as a native. Or was @Valv.Piti talking about a Danish commentator on an international network?

Carlton Kirby specializes in pronouncing French words with a would-be French accent... whilst butchering the pronunciation, often to a dramatic degree.

Like pronouncing 'Chaise' with a K, or dropping the T from 'Lot' (the department). All with a French accent. It's maddening.
Yes, things like that get me riled up as well. I mean I'm not French, but we all know when it comes to cycling, France is a pretty significant country. And when it's your job to comment on such a sport and you get paid for it, the unwillingness to learn correct pronunciation comes across as disrespectful and lazy. It's not that hard either.

For the TT, Cavagna vs Vingegaard?

Maybe it's because of the team which did not take his knee issues seriously for months.
How could they, the team doctors weren't allowed to look at him and he only talked to his personal doctor. Went AWOL for months and then suddenly popped up when he had to ride for his country, while he supposedly wasn't able to ride for the team due to his knee?

Last edited:
Reactions: saunaking
For the TT, Cavagna vs Vingegaard?

How could they, the team doctors weren't allowed to look at him and he only talked to his personal doctor. Went AWOL for months and then suddenly popped up when he had to ride for his country, while he supposedly wasn't able to ride for the team due to his knee?

He rode for his country so that he wouldn't be docked wages as they found a loophole in the rules - And he rode 15kms and stepped off the bike.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm confused: that's only when you know you're talking to an English speaking person. On Danish television (or Dutch for that matter) I'd expect them to pronounce the names as a native. Or was @Valv.Piti talking about a Danish commentator on an international network?

Danish reporter interviewing international riders.
I suspect it might be because having to "switch" to "Danish-mode" - however slight that switch might be - when speaking English might seem weird and clunky.

Yes, things like that get me riled up as well. I mean I'm not French, but we all know when it comes to cycling, France is a pretty significant country. And when it's your job to comment on such a sport and you get paid for it, the unwillingness to learn correct pronunciation comes across as disrespectful and lazy. It's not that hard either.
Rob Hatch gets a lot of hate on here, but that guy knows his pronunciation of foreign names. To some English people that sounds like being a poser, to the point that a lot of the time they don't even know who he's talking about. Because they're so used to having foreign names butchered in their own language, they don't know what they're supposed to sound like.

José Been, the Dutch woman working for Eurosport UK, also received complaints when she pronounced Dutch names (i.e. her own language) like they're supposed to sound. English people just couldn't understand her.

Reactions: search
Meanwhile, according to the schedule on Feltet.dk (from tvsporten.dk), tomorrow's stage is not in fact a part of the UCI World Tour, but rather a part of the BWF World Tour. Definitely a sport-combo I was not expecting!
Seriously, though, that thing is just so faulty...

I think Carapaz can do a great time trial today, I hope so.
It would also be great if Alaphilippe could do very well.

In general there are many interesting riders at the start and no outright favourite, so... I'm excited.

I think Carapaz can do a great time trial today, I hope so.
It would also be great if Alaphilippe could do very well.

In general there are many interesting riders at the start and no outright favourite, so... I'm excited.
According to the bookies Vingegaard is the outright favourite (~1.8).
Second is Cavagna, around 6. Bjerg and Martinez around 8.
All the others are over 10.

Meanwhile, according to the schedule on Feltet.dk (from tvsporten.dk), tomorrow's stage is not in fact a part of the UCI World Tour, but rather a part of the BWF World Tour. Definitely a sport-combo I was not expecting!
Seriously, though, that thing is just so faulty...

Maybe you could write to Feltet instead of posting here how a stage in a WT race is listed on a random Danish website... I doubt anybody on here would care about that...

Rackham to claim he was gifted the win.

Very funny. But yesterday was a legitimately clean, good win for Laporte. He got himself into the right position & his skill did the rest. I don't even think Bennett or Groenewegen were faster. The team didn't sacrifice anyone for him either, i.e. something I fully applaud.

When a team has the GC favorite I don't argue with the fact it's possible for other riders on the team to win stages. The part where it makes less sense is when domestiques like Benoot or Van Baarle are tasked with working for Vingegaard... & Laporte as well. Vingegaard himself meanwhile should be discouraged from doing leadouts when the finish is dangerous or a direct rival (like Carapaz) can sneak a few bonus seconds, as happened on Monday.

And sure, I expect Laporte to have a good ITT if he does go full gas. He's got good credentials in time trials.

According to the bookies Vingegaard is the outright favourite (~1.8).
Makes sense, after all he had to brake to not win the last long time trial he did. That was at the end of three weeks, so it suited him even better, but this course looks good for him.

Very funny. But yesterday was a legitimately clean, good win for Laporte. He got himself into the right position & his skill did the rest. I don't even think Bennett or Groenewegen were faster. The team didn't sacrifice anyone for him either, i.e. something I fully applaud.

When a team has the GC favorite I don't argue with the fact it's possible for other riders on the team to win stages. The part where it makes less sense is when domestiques like Benoot or Van Baarle are tasked with working for Vingegaard... & Laporte as well. Vingegaard himself meanwhile should be discouraged from doing leadouts when the finish is dangerous or a direct rival (like Carapaz) can sneak a few bonus seconds, as happened on Monday.

And sure, I expect Laporte to have a good ITT if he does go full gas. He's got good credentials in time trials.
You have such a one track mind when it comes to leadership in a race... meanwhile Jumbo with their "samen winnen" approach seem to be doing quite well for themselves. If we say Benoot and Van Baarle were riding on the front to protect Vingegaard, and Laporte just happened to be on his wheel, will you be satisfied?

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS