• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4 - 11

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thibaut! Give the goats some extra feed and head to Bilbao!

Seriously, Gaudu's form is disappointing but sometimes the Dauphine isn't the best judge of fitness 3 weeks later.

Today's stage should be fun. Quite warm today and the route, while not uber-grueling on paper, has a number of spots to launch an attach. The Aravis NDDB Crest Voland finish is pretty tough (and beautiful to boot).
If, as David said in l'Equipe: "the goal is to gauge myself with/against Vingo", well, well, well. Yikes. Bad day today...after yesterday. He needs to crush it tomorrow or Madiot will be at the gates of Pinot's farm, tomorrow night, he'll be singing Italian melodies and playing mandoline, bringing goat treats and all.

So I didn't watch the Tour of the Alps, and I don't remember him getting dropped by either at the Giro -unless you're talking about the aforementioned descent where he didn't follow Caruso and Bardet, but then again he didn't have good legs that day so following the Ineos train was likely the right call to preserve his podium-. But I agree that Romain is a cut above and Pello is likely a better descender than Simon. That still leaves him, IMHO, as nearly the best, if not in fact the best, descender among GT winners in the peloton. YMMV.
This is what I had in mind from the Giro:
View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1396931860559712257

Reactions: Sandisfan
I mean, I didn't see that descent because, well, it wasn't broadcast. Sure, the numbers throw out that Yates did the descent at 48.4km/h vs 50.2 km/h for Caruso. And it's usually good to evaluate performances as qualitatively as possible. But as those numbers hint at there was a flat in the middle of that descent and a kicker to the line, where he was dropped by the group comprised of Foss, Izaguirre, and Formolo. The gist being that despite having cracked that stage, once he was caught by three of the fastest four descenders among the GC riders -including the fastest- he was able to hold their wheel.

So I wouldn't quite reevaluate my opinion on his downhill skills based on that stage.

If, as David said in l'Equipe: "the goal is to gauge myself with/against Vingo", well, well, well. Yikes. Bad day today...after yesterday. He needs to crush it tomorrow or Madiot will be at the gates of Pinot's farm, tomorrow night, he'll be singing Italian melodies and playing mandoline, bringing goat treats and all.
If so, I want to see a video of that :D But what about Démare? How do they plan for a sprint team and the GC guys?

Well i'll take him over mister Blanka Vlašić and Vannieuwkerke any day of the week.
Very true, but I reckon that says more about how bad the rest of the team is as opposed to being a compliment to Renaat. There is not one person in that team, not Renaat, not Karrel, not Nys, not Van Gucht, not Berteele, not Vandegoor, not whoever, that is capable of giving decent commentary, let alone good. De Cauwer fell off as well. Eurosport unfortunately isn't much better.

It is a must that VRT contract Bakelants full time. I want him to do the studio analysis, commentary and motard reporting at the same time. And Chris Picavet.

TRENDING THREADS