• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné May 30-June 6 2021

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking at the field present, i find this a hard ITT to predict. The course may be deceivingly harder than you'd think at first glance. And without the superhumans present, i could see more guys than usual trying their luck and going all out.

Thomas, Porte, McNulty, Bjerg, Asgreen, Van Wilder, Kelderman, Haga, Cerny, Barta, Van Baarle, Armirail, T Martin, Lutsenko, Teuns, Kwiatkowski, Mas, Politt, Craddock, Kruijswijk...

Who am i forgetting? Considering Vingegaard's form isn't what it's supposed to be, i guess he's out for a top 10.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It will be hard for anyone to beat Thomas in the ITT I think. He looks to be back in really good shape and was pretty good against the clock at Romandie. Seeing how much resources Ineos have and put into time trialing, I don't think anyone will beat him. Especially if its dry and he isn't descending/cornering gingerly again.
Porte might come close with this lumpy parcours and Asgreen, with how he focussed a lot on TTing according to a interview from today, should also be in reach.

After them I think there will be a gap to the likes of McNulty, Bjerg, Kelderman, Barta, Van Wilder etc.

Looking at the field present, i find this a hard ITT to predict. The course may be deceivingly harder than you'd think at first glance. And without the superhumans present, i could see more guys than usual trying their luck and going all out.

Thomas, Porte, McNulty, Bjerg, Asgreen, Van Wilder, Kelderman, Haga, Cerny, Barta, Van Baarle, Armirail, T Martin, Lutsenko, Teuns, Kwiatkowski, Mas, Politt, Craddock, Kruijswijk...

Who am i forgetting? Considering Vingegaard's form isn't what it's supposed to be, i guess he's out for a top 10.

I honestly think Asgreen will take it, but yeah, Thomas and McNulty will be close.

Asgreen's been comfortably in the top 10 all 3 stages so far, so clearly the shape (comparatively) is there, and since the classics season, he's been spending a lot of time honing his TT, because of the selection for the Olympics.

If he wants any hope at a medal in Tokyo, when Ganna, Dennis, Cavagna, Bissegger, Küng, Oliveira, Roglic, Van Aert, etc. are there, he's gotta show up now, when the only "big guns" in attendance are Thomas and McNulty.

McNulty is back! I thought he went the way of Froome there for a bit.

PS: He is going to win tomorrow's ITT, just watch him go!

E2zX6OFXwAEIXXl

Last edited:
  • Love
I'd be leaning towards Thomas or Asgreen for the time trial. Theres a few others like McNulty who should be strong but I'd be going with those two. I'm hoping for Asgreen and he goes into the lead. Be interesting to see how long he can hold on as he was quite decent against lesser competition at Algarve

dawg