• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
No comments on Ackermann? That's a mightily impressive third place among those guys.
I was actually thinking the opposite. Yes, impressive he was there in the group, but I thought he'd be by far the fastest in a reduced sprint where Alaphilippe manages 2nd. Maybe I misjudged him as a pure sprinter, based on his performances in the lesser Belgian classics this year.
I agree. Didn't watch the stage, but he must've been pretty cooked or badly positioned to be beaten by Impey and Alaphilippe in a flat sprint.

Squire said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
No comments on Ackermann? That's a mightily impressive third place among those guys.
I was actually thinking the opposite. Yes, impressive he was there in the group, but I thought he'd be by far the fastest in a reduced sprint where Alaphilippe manages 2nd. Maybe I misjudged him as a pure sprinter, based on his performances in the lesser Belgian classics this year.
I agree. Didn't watch the stage, but he must've been pretty cooked or badly positioned to be beaten by Impey and Alaphilippe in a flat sprint.
The sprint wasn't flat at all, it was something like 4% I think.

Squire said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Was badly positioned and hitting his handlebars at finish. Was caught behind a fading Valgren on the barriers and by the time he got round him had lost several places. Then found himself having to veer towards the barrier again by Benoot moving across before getting passed him to finally sprint but too far back by then.

Tuesday's stage 2: Montbrison - Belleville 180.5 km start 11.50 TV from 15.15 CET (as today)
stage-2-profile.png

Final 5 km flat but a double roundabout just after the flamme rouge
stage-2-5km.jpg

stage-2-finish.jpg

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Weather could be fun too -
Rain showers in the morning with numerous thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. High 26C. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 80%.

About that: What actually happens in case of thunder? Do they just keep riding through it? That sounds ill-advised.

But I actually don't think I have ever seen thunder in a race and I have been following the sport for more than 20 years. That seems a bit odd.

search said:
tobydawq said:
But I actually don't think I have ever seen thunder in a race and I have been following the sport for more than 20 years. That seems a bit odd.

wasn't there some kind of thunderstorm in Poland a couple of years ago? Or was it just extremely windy that day?

Not sure about that one but stages have been cancelled or shortened before because of gale force winds. When riders are getting blown off the road it's time to take a break.

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I would just like to note that Thunderstorms are more common in the tropics and since lots of races aren´t here...Well that explains the lack of Thunderstorms, Especially since the Australian races are all in summer...

Re:

mosh1992 said:
I would just like to note that Thunderstorms are more common in the tropics and since lots of races aren´t here...Well that explains the lack of Thunderstorms, Especially since the Australian races are all in summer...

Sure but even in Denmark we have thunder occasionally, although most often at night time.

Re:

mosh1992 said:

Thunderstorms in Europe during summer are very common.

search said:
tobydawq said:

wasn't there some kind of thunderstorm in Poland a couple of years ago? Or was it just extremely windy that day?

Yeah, I remember that. 2011, I think. I was told that an english rider was struck by lightning during this Tour of Poland and that he came out of it without a scratch and stronger than he ever was before...

AnatoleNovak said:
search said:
tobydawq said:

Yeah, I remember that. 2011, I think. I was told that an english rider was struck by lightning during this Tour of Poland and that he came out of it without a scratch and stronger than he ever was before...
ho ho
;)